Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 19th September 2017, 04:42 PM   #21
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for not being around much....life gets in the way. Did you ever get this working?
Old 19th September 2017, 09:41 PM   #22
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Sorry for not being around much....life gets in the way. Did you ever get this working?
No ... it just sits on the floor collecting dust

I have yet to pull the legs of the bias circuit. The poor board has been soldered and re-soldered so many times replacing FETs and re-touching all the joints I am afraid to apply heat yet again.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:02 AM   #23
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TSE Help!
If it were me I would go thru the entire build procedure visually and make sure everything is correct.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I can't figure out where to go from here based on the information available.

I have only done this twice in 12 years so far, but it might be time for number three. If you send it to me I WILL make it work at no cost to you other than shipping.

#1 was a case where the builder had run about 6 inches of wire from the board to his 300B sockets which were mounted on a slab of marble. The whole amp had turned into a giant oscillator / radio transmitter. I had to add ferrite beads and multiple stopper resistors top calm the beast.

#2 was an SSE which turned out to be not so simple. The troubleshooting thread had grown to a dozen pages or so with several experienced tech trying to solve the dead channel. The builder had drilled out the holes in the PCB to accommodate the fat leads on his specialized coupling caps. This broke the plated through hole connections from the top of the board to the bottom killing the signal.

#3 ???

If this works for you, send me a PM and we will work out the details.

I would prefer the board only. I have several power transformers to use, some OPT's and several sets of old 45's that work. This avoids the expense of shipping a whole amp, but I can deal with the whole amp too, Michigan isn't too far away, so shipping shouldn't be too expensive, but UPS here tends to break things, then claim that they weren't packaged properly.
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:33 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

It's ALIVE!

Admittedly a rather low Fi setup, especially those trendy Radio Shack speakers from 1980, but it the best that I can do right now. It took me much longer than I expected to find things like my box of 5842's and a suitable set of OPT's, but I found all sorts of missing things in the process like a long lost guitar amp, and some OPT's that I had forgotten about. These things haven't been seen since I lived in Florida, more than three years and two moves ago.

has been playing for a couple hours and there were NO dead parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ItsAlive_x.jpg (908.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:44 PM   #26
craigtone is offline craigtone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
It's ALIVE!

Admittedly a rather low Fi setup, especially those trendy Radio Shack speakers from 1980, but it the best that I can do right now. It took me much longer than I expected to find things like my box of 5842's and a suitable set of OPT's, but I found all sorts of missing things in the process like a long lost guitar amp, and some OPT's that I had forgotten about. These things haven't been seen since I lived in Florida, more than three years and two moves ago.

has been playing for a couple hours and there were NO dead parts.
Awesome! What was the culprit?
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:00 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It was so obvious that I missed it until I powered it up and starting poking around with a voltmeter and found no drain voltage on the mosfets. There is a wire jumper that supplies this voltage. It was not installed. This was not visible in the photo that you had posted since it is on the other side of the board.

I will unhook and pack the board up and send it back to you tomorrow or Wednesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jumper_x.jpg (709.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 24th October 2017, 12:02 AM   #28
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TSE Help!
Old 24th October 2017, 12:09 AM   #29
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

So, this design feature allows one to pull that jumper and isolate the B+ to the power tubes, from the rest of the board?

In other words, higher than ordinary voltage for the power tubes, e.g. 811 ish voltage, could go to the BPLUS pad, regular "low" B+ voltage to the DRV_B+ pad?

Win W5JAG
Old 24th October 2017, 01:16 AM   #30
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TSE Help!
Is that what those resistors are doing @ R18?

TSE Help!Hide this!Advertise here!