• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Problems with TSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After many months of use I noticed when listening at higher volumes the sound was a little crunchy. The next time I went to play I decided to pull the cover and see if anything was obvious. I noticed c6 was on its way out-brown ooze had begun to collect at the top, After I pulled that cap I found resistor R6 had been running way too hot. I had a Mills 12 in there and it got so hot as to bake the pads. When I measured it cold it was still in spec.
I had a 5 watt Vishay 10K resistor I wired in using the leads of R7 and R5.

When I first built this amp I was padding down the HV center tap by adding a 100 ohm power resistor. I have since been running without the resistor and find the 300-310 volts seem to give better sound, or at least more punch.

I am using a XPWR093 edcor transformer.

I am a little gun shy and have been at this all day. I started back from step 1 doing checkouts. The problem is with a rectifier in I have 2.5 volts to the heaters of the 45's and checking the voltage at r30 I turn it off as I start to see volts over 450.

I have thermistors in the amp so I can watch the climb.

I know when the 45's get installed and bias current is aplied the voltage will drop. Any word of wisdom from the good folk here would be appreciated.

Walt

Last edited:
My XPWR093 edcor transformer with no tubes installed is measuring 307 volts and this is with 100 ohms added to the center tap. The spec for the transformer is 250-0-250 and previous tests indicated 265 or therabouts. I am working on memory here so you know how that goes.
Should the transformer be suspected? I checked last night and I shut the amp down after voltage reached 450 volts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.