Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 6th June 2016, 11:10 PM   #1
Guarnera is offline Guarnera  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated 120 volts AC

Any inexpensive way to get regulated 120 volts AC power? I tried a Tripp Lite Smart LDC 1500 UPS. IT said it's output was 120 volts, and it had Automatic Voltage Regulation. Well it turns out it doesn't really regulate the voltage. If it goes up over 128 volts it reduces it by something like 14%. So the ups won't work. Any suggestions? My AC is with in tolerance, But it jumps around some. In the winter its not to bad. Its more like a drift. Starts out high in the morning, and gets lower all day. But now that's it has gotten really hot here, and we, and everyone else in the area are using their air conditioning, it jumps up and down all day. It's still within 5%, but it makes my bias current change all the time, and it drive me crazy. Wish I could afford a Perfect Wave.

Last edited by Guarnera; 7th June 2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 7th June 2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarnera View Post
but it makes my bias current change all the time, and it drive me crazy.
Is it because it alters the sound?
Old 7th June 2016, 04:38 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If the HT varies in line with the bias voltage, the current will stay the same. A big mistake some people have is a regulated bias supply on a fixed bias output stage and when the HT rises the bias stays the same so the current rises.
Old 7th June 2016, 05:10 PM   #4
tauro0221 is offline tauro0221  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Try a Sola ferroresonant power conditioners.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenharmonics View Post
Is it because it alters the sound?
No. It's because the B+ voltage varies with the AC line voltage, and the Bias current follows. It is all with tolerance and sounds fine. But It makes me crazy.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:53 PM   #6
rmyauck is online now rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dam Big UPS not plugged in while amp is running if you have room & $.
Old 10th June 2016, 06:57 PM   #7
infinia is online now infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Generator
most folks regulate the secondary on their gear to allow some wide(r) range of inputs.
Old 12th June 2016, 12:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro0221 View Post
Hi,
Try a Sola ferroresonant power conditioners.
I took your advice. I got a used , working Sola MCR1000 for $75.00 on ebay. Regulates to 120 volts +/- 3%. This one regulates to 121.9 volts. So it's not the 120 volts I hoped for. But mostly I wanted a stable voltage, and that it does.
It buzz's pretty good. But I wanted it for testing in the shop.
I am happy with the results. With a staple AC line voltage, my B+ is perfectly stable, and doesn't drift at all. Oh, B- is stable also. But best of all, my bias current for the 300B tube is perfectly stable also. I set them at 70ma, and they stayed right there. No drift. Not even with the music. Stayed set at 70ma. perfectly.
I just needed to know that all the voltages drifting was caused by the AC line voltage changing, and not the fault of something I did wrong building it, or a bad part. I am now satisfied.

Last edited by Guarnera; 12th June 2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12th June 2016, 02:56 AM   #9
tauro0221 is offline tauro0221  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Glad it fixed your problem. In the company that that I used to worked we used it in all of the process control computers. Yes, they do buzzzzz but as long it does the job who care.

Regulated 120 volts ACHide this!Advertise here!