• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

diy speaker recommendation for simple se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I ended up ordering the little fostex kit from madisound with the fe103en drivers. Cheap way to try a full range speaker with no crossover. I realize they will be short on bass. That's okay because they're going to end up on the desktop with the simple se. I am liking the near field listening at low volume. I can really hear the detail in the music listening like this. But that's not the end of my plans. Another amp build, maybe a second simple se or more likely, a simple push pull and I really want to try some horns. I like the idea of an ecnowave or an older klipsch speaker to upgrade. Stay tuned...

I have a 'custom' Klipsche Heresy pair of speakers I bought from a Klipsche forum member. Basically they are Heresy drivers and crossovers that were revised to sound better in a larger box. The MDF cabinets are about 42 inches tall and about the same width and depth as Heresy's plus they are ported out the back and wired for bi-amping. At first I thought they sounded muddy with no definition but after about 15 hours of break in time they opened up and became 3 dimensional.

Unfortunately the cabinets look like crap. The speakers were dropped during shipping and the corners were crushed. The veneer job looks lousy too....

...so I'm going to eventually rebuild them. I've used them with my push pull 35 watt tube amp and they sound great with that so I'm pretty sure my SSE will sound good too.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MDF cabinets

MDF is not really a very good cabinet material… with them being damaged and a poor veneer job, an opportunity to start over again.

dave

Attachments

• klipsch-heresy-plans.gif
    klipsch-heresy-plans.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 319
I have a pair of speakers the builder claims started out as Klipsch Heresy speakers and they are obviously more efficient than my JBL L100T3's and Polk Audio LSiM 703's.

In reality I have to believe the efficiency of the speakers depends on all of the drivers used and crossover components. I believe horn or waveguide speakers used for both midranges and tweeters create a 'smoother' sound and the synergy of the horn smoothness along with the tube's smoothness compliment each other.

The FE126 is the goto driver for small SETs if you are going for Frugel-Horn Mk3. I have heard FE166En, FE166eN^2 & FE166eSReN in Victor with 2A3 SE and it plays loud.

I found this video on youtube, a series of three for comparisons.

Has anyone compared or know of comparisons between just building a single-driver full-range speaker with a SET versus a two-way including the same FR driver but coupled with a Ribbon or AMT Tweeter?

At Axpona a few weeks ago I saw a speaker manufacturer was using aluminum machined from billets for all of the contoured sides of the speaker. Everything was CNC machined and drilled and tapped along with counterbored holes in mating locations. The speakers were finished with automotive paint and clear coated. They looked nice. I imagine they started out by duplicating a proven design. Other than the non-conventional material they did not look much different than my Polk Audio LSiM 703's.

Not a good speaker for a SE amp.

Late to the party, and I've read that the 4Pi is out of your price range, but if you buy used drivers and upgrade as funds permit, I promise that you'll be satisfied in the long run.

I'm running Wayne's crossover, with Faital Pro CDs on his recommended horn and Faital Pro 15 inchers handling the low end. The result is nothing short of sublime. The cabinet is larger than spec, at somewhere north of 5.5 cu ft.

My room is small as well - 12x14 or so. Three bass traps help a great deal when things get deep.

Thanks for the info, beeah. I probably will go with one of the pi speakers as they all seem to do well with tubes. I have been leaning towards going with the 2pi towers but we'll see. Maybe I could manage to save up for the 3pi or 4pi. And then I want to build a second amp. And then...who knows? This stuff is addictive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.