• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Kt150 simple se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks I'm getting ready to build a KT150 set of mono blocks and finally got the tubes. For shites and giggles I thought I'd drop em in my SSE ... Got a good run it last night for a good 3 hrs spinning vinyl and sipping wine etc. Right out of the box fresh they sounded pretty good, very good actually and I'm running this SSE from a 350-0-350 that is running plate voltage right around 350V loaded down (with KT88s) I haven't measured the loaded voltage with these but I would expect the same .... anyhow they sound fantastic. Something about the bass seems cleaned up more and just a feeling but they seem a little more 3D sound stage. I'm not all that good with verbage to describe sounds but I do notice a positive difference and I'm not talking a more warm sound just a little cleaner sounding with more bass and wider deeper sound stage. I've got the amp on right now but I'm in my shop so they could be up in smoke by now!! I doubt it tho. I did modify the power supply some from George's design. My C2 cap is 470uF 500v with the added motor run 100uF so a little beefier than the original design. I have some VERY efficient speakers horn loaded mids and tweeters and 15" bass drivers @ 105+dB/m efficiency so I can hear and notice the bass cleaning up... At any rate here's a few pics for ya's. BTW Trooper sold me his old box so if it looks familiar that's why and HUGE kudos to trooper, he does such a mighty fine job on cases, the stone under the amp is Quartzite (I'm a professional stone guy) :

Attachments

• SSE_KT150_2.jpg
    SSE_KT150_2.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 2,747
  • SSE_KT150.jpg
    SSE_KT150.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • SSE_KT150_3.jpg
    SSE_KT150_3.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 1,065
Great case and gorgeous stone.

Don't start giving me expensive ideas ;)

Stone was free & the case I bought from Trooper at the Swap Meet! This was hands down the easiest amp build I've ever done. Of course having the case already pre built made it SUPER easy.

Still liking those KT-150 as well, I'm throwing a bunch of music at them and I like the sounds I'm hearing.

Cheers,
Bob

Here's my iteration on this design. KT150 with 30W Hammond transformers. NOS Stancor 400-0-400 PT, everything under the hood is beefed up. Loaded voltage at the plates is 412v. I don't want to run this without tubes!! Finished this one yesterday, transformers dont even get warm, still breaking in so I haven't plugged in any other speakers than my bench speakers, but those get pretty loud. I'll hook up to a proper set of speakers after family fun today. This amp weighs in at +40#s!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Agreed and want to build one. Is there schematics available?

You can build this with the Tubelab SSE board or use George's schematic found on his website here:

Tubelab SSE | Tubelab

The SSE board works fine for a 20-25w/ch version you need to up-rate a few parts for extra voltage/current as well as getting a larger power transformer. I've used a 400-0-400 and also a 425-0-425 PT, just need enough amps to handle the draw. If you crank up those KT-150s for a lot of power be sure your PT is worthy. If you let the amp idle with no sound the PT tends to warm up some! Pretty much SOP with SE amps or any tube amp really never a good idea but those big bottles like some current so that's the only thing I kinda worry about, I just don't leave my amp sitting on with no sound and go make dinner or something you get the idea.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob Hows it going? Finish that last Simple SE yet? I'd love to see some pictures

Not ready yet... still doing repairs for folks. I like doing repairs/upgrades as its therapeutic but gets in the way of building which I much prefer. But any reason to turn on the solder iron is reason enough for me! I need some ME time, getting close getting close. Probably a month out after I rebuild a Dynaco ST-70 for a friend. I tried to get my friend to try and go with one of these but hey, I got the ST-70 in the mail and committed to a re-build, so that's next then onto a the next iteration of the KT150. Once we get up to 20w/ch SE, parts start to get a little pricey. But boy does this amp sound good with some horn loaded speakers... I can rock a bunch of folks in a big space with horns & 15" woofers or kick back with my wife and hang out. I'll post a pic here once I start the build. Gotta chassis paint and we all know how long that takes!!!

Cheers,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.