• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SimpleSE + Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have just added a preamp to my SimpleSE for the phono section. The preamp seems to have alot of gain. I do have a 50K volume pot on the amp.

1. Is it best to turn it up all the way and use the volume on the preamp (which then has a lot of gain)?
2. Turn the volume on amp half-way and use more of the preamp volume?
3. Disconnect the volume pot on the amp and use it directly.

If I diconnect the volume pot, will the output then be as if it is turned all the way up? Currently I play it with the amp volume all the way up.:D

Thanks!

The resistor (or pot) does a couple of things. It provides a load for the source (Ipod, CD player, etc) to drive so you want the resistance fairly high so that the voltage signal from the source stays high. Theoretically, no resistor or pot would be a very high impedance (the source would then be driving the input tube grid in parallel with the grid leak R (R11 &R21)) but if the impedance is too high it can be prone to noise and interference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.