• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Again with the HEX FREDs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, another HEX FRED thread.

This recent thread here says pretty much everything except the very thing I need to know.

The consensus is that this part number: Fairchild Stealth Diode ISL9R8120P2 is the replacement for the "FREDs" required on George's Simple SE board.

This is George's description of what a FRED is and where it goes on his board:

Semiconductors_c.jpg

"The photo shows the semiconductors used on this board. From left to right, constant current source IC's, Hex FREDs, and mounting hardware. Above them are the heat sinks required for the CCS IC's."

and also...

"...The heat sinks on the CCS IC's have the full B+ voltage on them DO NOT TOUCH THEM to see if they are hot when the amp is on! The tabs on the Hex FREDs are also carrying high voltage..."

OK here's what this tells me: The FREDs are not CCS ICs, and the CCS ICs are not FREDs.

Note: the photo above shows the CCS ICs to have three prongs, and the FREDs to have two.

The IXYS part that I bought (IXCP10M45S-ND) (for U10 and U20 on the Simple SE board) as per the parts list is going to blow sooner than later. I'd rather replace it now before I get it all together than after it's tucked away in it's chassis. This IXYS part in the parts list is a CCS IC (which I can only assume is different from the FREDs which--apparently--also blow).
People talk about the parts interchangeably I believe, but only ever mention a three prong replacement for the FREDs, and never a replacement part number--or even an original part number for that matter--for the two prong diode that goes into D1 and D2 (this is the part referred to as a FRED on the Simple SE manual). I still haven't ordered anything to go into this slot. The only thing my searching has turned up about this part (that intended for D1 and D2 referred to as a FRED) is the Fairchild three prong part.

Are they interchangeable? Is the Fairchild part recommended for both the FREDs and the CCS IC (U10 and U20)?

Do I simply snip the middle prong to insert the Fairchild part into D1 and D2?

Thanks for everyone's contributions to this rockin' board... (this forum and the Simple SE)

Here's my progress so far:

03e5b57f.jpg

Ha ha, for two weeks I did nothing but research this diode. Of course, shortly after finally giving up and posting here I find this: clickity click

Apparently Mousers pictures are, indeed, 'for reference only'...

So, this part will go into D1 and D2. Do I need to replace my IXYS parts that I have in U10 and U20? (pn: IXCP10M45S-ND)

Thanks again,
randy

I'll throw my 5 cents to this as I'm just about to order replacements for these myself.

OK here's what this tells me: The FREDs are not CCS ICs, and the CCS ICs are not FREDs.

True. Two different things.

Note: the photo above shows the CCS ICs to have three prongs, and the FREDs to have two.

People talk about the parts interchangeably I believe, but only ever mention a three prong replacement for the FREDs, and never a replacement part number--or even an original part number for that matter--for the two prong diode that goes into D1 and D2 (this is the part referred to as a FRED on the Simple SE manual). I still haven't ordered anything to go into this slot. The only thing my searching has turned up about this part (that intended for D1 and D2 referred to as a FRED) is the Fairchild three prong part.

Are they interchangeable? Is the Fairchild part recommended for both the FREDs and the CCS IC (U10 and U20)?

The Fairchild Stealth FRED you mention has only two prongs as it is a single configuration FRED (see http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9R8120P2.pdf). Some FREDS have more prongs as there are FREDs commonly available in dual packages. From where did you get the impression that this part has three prongs ? I myself noticed at for atleast in Mouser's catalog this part has incorrectly a three prong thumbnail image which might mislead you. Please see the datasheet for exact specs for the part.

To answer your question these parts (U10 & U20 / D1 & D2) are not interchangeable and I think you should leave the CCS ICs as they are. I've yet to hear any problems with the CCS ICs (current regulators).

I'm not an expert with SimpleSE but I think you don't even need the D1 and D2 FREDs if you have a rectifier tube (as I think you do according to the picture you attached). AFAIK it's optional to use solid state rectifier or a tube rectifier with the thing.

BR,
Marko

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I did find the same datasheet you did that shows an accurate picture. Again, you are right, the thumbnail on Mouser's site is what mislead me.
What I still needed to know is whether to leave the CCS ICs in place or replace them now.
I will get the fairchild FREDs and solder them in now even if I don't use them yet. When it is time to try out different setups, I only want to plug in the switch, not pull the board out and solder on it again.
Thanks for the info,

Ok Mouser is out of the Fairchild Stealth ISL9R8120P2. Anyone have another alternate for this? I had the IXYS Hexfreds in and they of course failed. Took me a while to figure it out since it happened when i put everything into a new chassis. Currently running my SSE with a 5v3a in it since i didn't have a 5AR4 available yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.