• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Russian 6S3P=WE417?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are the Russian 6S3P tubes available on ebay suitable choices for the 5842/WE417 in the TubelabSE?

There are a few Ebay sellers claiming that thry have "equivalents" to the 5842. I don't know of any direct substitute for the 5842. The 6S3P does not have the same pinout as the 5842 and will result in burnt parts if used. Another builder was sold some 6C45's on Ebay as substitutes, resulting in a fried resistor.

Yeah, that was me. Fortunately I didn't do any permanent damage to my amp other than smoking a resistor. I ended up finding 3 real 5842's still in the original boxes for about 20 bucks on e-bay, which is a lot cheaper than what most stores charge for them. If I were you, I'd just wait for a good deal to pop up on e-bay and get the real thing.

I was able to buy a couple sleeves of the Raytheon 5842s a year or two ago from an eBay vendor. I wanted to stock up because of how the price was shooting up. If you see someone posting multiple auctions of these, ask them a question about buying more of them. Be subtle in the eBay message (because of eBay policies), but once you have their real email you can communicate directly and ask them if they will sell direct. You may be able to save some time that way to stock up on these before they are gone forever.

thanks for the tips... I'm slowly accumulating parts for my build. I ended up going with the Hammond choke and power xfrmr (373CZ). I'm a little bewildered on the OPT choice though. Want to go semi-premium but every manufacture raves about how their design is best. I think the most I'm willing to spend (ok, increase my debt) is in the $600 range (total). I was thinking about Magnaquest or Hashimoto's but now am leaning towards the Vanderveen design toroidial... It seems like it would be a good choice based on the one-sided writeup...

Plitron
13W Single Ended Output Transformer
Product ID: PAT-3025-SE-02

PAT-SE range of single ended toroidal output transformers is especially suited for the 300B tube or its equivalents

I was thinking about Magnaquest or Hashimoto's but now am leaning towards the Vanderveen design toroidial..

Ordinarilly transformers made by anyone on this list are way beyond my price range. Due to a heads up on this forum a couple of years ago I got a pair of Plitron P-P OPT's that were on their "surplus transformers" page for just over $100 each. They were a custom design for a Marshall bass guitar amp and are rated for 400 Watts at 20 Hz. One would think that these would not be useful for HiFi, but the response is flat from 20 Hz to 50 KHz and I have not found the power limit yet! The sound is very good, definitely the best sounding P-P OPT's that I have. I have not tried any other Plitrons though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.