• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE vs Simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built both these amps and compared them? I am contemplating building a Tubelab SE and currently have a Simple SE. I was thinking about just building a simple again, but wanted to get peoples opinion on the Tubelab SE. I have never used a DHT amp in my setup and was just curious to get others experiences with sonic preferences.

Tubelab SE sounds good to my ears. Not fair for me to compare it to my Simple SE as the simple SE has budget OPT's right now. I do like the simple SE enough that I will be putting decent OPT's on it as well some time in the near future.

Easy to tweek the Tubelab SE however. I Like That!

I first built a Simple SE. Then I decided I want a DHT, and eventually built one. It ended up being a design other than the Tubelab SE. I will say that I have a slight preference to my single ended DHT amp (6B4G) over my Simple SE, despite the DHT amp having significantly cheaper output transformers on it. I still enjoy my Simple SE, and use it on a regular basis.

Based on my roundabout experience, I'd guess the Tubelab SE is probably a worthwhile improvement over the Simple SE. Maybe someday I should built one myself...

I have both.

I prefer the Tubelab SE for detailed, serious listening (me alone sitting in the "spot"). I prefer it most with 45s. My speakers are quite sensitive, so that is a factor. But for more casual listening at generally higher volumes, the extra omph of Simple SE is also nice. So they both have their merits.

On my setup, the SSE with SED EL34s approaches the detail level of the TSE when setup with 300Bs. Not quite there, but close. The two have very different OPTs too, so that is a major factor.

Thanks for the response guys, I knew this was going to be a tough question to field. Way too many variables, for instance rknize uses SED EL34s and I use KT88s. Though I have tried the exact tubes you have most KT88s are just a lot better to my ears, way more detail. If anyone else has anything to add it would be greatly appreciated.

I have used various driver tubes, Phillips 7062s and various 12at7s, ultimately I find Mullard 12at7s to be the best in almost any category. I have always been partial to Mullards so no surprise there. I know a lot of you guys are using 12bh7s with good results. As far as bias, I have not tried any changes there.

Just to address your original post again, there are key differences between the SSE and TSE, besides the TSE being DHT. It also uses fixed bias and MOSFETs driving the grids. It's a different animal than your run-of-the-mill DHT amp, though I don't know how to articulate how those differences might matter. It does behave very well when pushed into clipping.

Interesting points, I have decided to stick with the simple SE for my second amp which will soon be in the works. I think for now trying to build a TSE and pray that it matches the SSE I have sonically is taking a big risk. Any way good info to know.

Well the 300Bs are supposed to be able to get 10 watts vs the rated 5 from the el34s. In my experience I can actually get 8 watts from KT88s in my SSEs. So the difference is pretty minscule either way. I do not regret my decision to build 2 SSEs. My system is sounding better than I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Both of those setups you describe (SSE + EL34 triode and TSE + 300B) will give you about 8-10W. So really, the power output is about the same.

The SSE is cheaper and easier to build and uses cheaper tubes. It is also more flexible about what tubes you can use. I use this amp the most, but I have it setup for more power output.

The TSE is more expensive to build and more complex. The tubes alone can cost what an entire SSE costs to build. The design is more sophisticated and to my ears it is a more detailed amplifier. If you have excellent speakers and like to sit down and listen to music, this amp will slightly edge-out the SSE in my opinion.

Haha my SSEs were far from cheap. I'm using Black Treasure tubes at $300 a pair, Pavane 12at7s @ $100 a pair, and a set of NOS Mullard rectifiers for $200 each! and primo parts throughout. I probably could have built 4 basic TSEs for the price I paid for the 2 SSEs I built. So it is all relative and I am confident when I say I would put either of my SSEs up against any TSEs favorably.

Last edited:
I have built TSE and SSE and prefer the SSE. A SSE with trioded 6V6's sounds as good as a TSE with 45's and better than a TSE with 2A3's to my ears.

I'm not an audiophile, and that might make a difference. It's also been awhile since I listened to the TSE - mine has been dismantled for overhaul since last fall.

Win W5JAG

That is interesting indeed. I think the SSE has a few things working against it in the eyes of some builders. Namely that there is a perception that because it is simple it should be done on the cheap. Then surprise surprise, the TSE is the 'better sounding' of the two. Well of course that is the result! To expect Any other result would be silly.

I have a lot of personal experience with many SET amps as well as a plethora of SS amps, d amps and PP amps and my SSEs are the best sounding amps I have heard period. I certainly consider myself an audiophile, but that shouldn't sway you one way or the other. I just love great sounding music that's all.

Ok, ok...yes an SSE can be done on the cheap for sure. Can you sink a ton of coin into it? Of course! Mine in somewhere in between. I like it for it's flexibility and awesome bass when big tubes are used. I didn't build mine on the cheap.

My TSE is a bit more detailed, though. That is it's strong suit, IMO. I typically run mine with 45s because I have fairly sensitive speakers (98dB). Obviously it doesn't get rock-concert loud, but it offers amazing realism and detail. When I switch it to "300B mode", I think it actually gives some of that up but it makes more power. The gap between the two amps becomes closer.

Which one sounds better is, of course, a matter of personal opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.