• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE vs Simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have already decided !!!
Based on your comments about the power , sound quality and flexibility I build the SSE , besides apparently SSE and TSE are quite close , not seem to have a big difference , I will use JJ E34L and KT88-Z Shuguang Treasures , this seems the best option in KT88.
OPT's to give more details , the EDCOR GXSE or the CXSE ?

Thanks for all your comments.

The TSE is definitely a better amp; the 5842's are lower noise than a 12AT7, the bias is fixed and the power drive circuit works great. It's just that these refinements are not necessary for my application.

6V6's in triode are really linear, and a 6V6 SSE is a great amp within its power limitations.

Win W5JAG

I use the CXSE25-8-5ks for both of my amps. It really depends on your personal preference and the way you are using them. They are easily the best OPTs in every area with the exception of bass. They can be a bit overblown. In my system I have the two amps running in an active setup. One amp for the tweeters one for the midrange and a QSC amp for the woofers. So bass is a none issue. However in a full range setup the bass may be a problem. Maybe go for the smaller CX OPTs which are reported to be more defined in the bass region if not quite as good in the mids and treble.

Swapping out the 12AT7 for 12BH7A in the SSE is a must IMO unless you really need that gain. Noise floor plummets.

I have used both the cheap XSE and GXSE and prefer the XSE. In my case I only need >200hz and the XSE has a nicer midrange and top end. The XSE is 4ohm, the GXSE 6ohm.

I would really like to buy/build a DHT amp but the SSE sounds so good it's really hard to get up the motivation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.