• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

Here is my TSE II 300B amp... for this one, I was in audiophoolery mood and mixed it up a little from standard BOM.

Parts selection include:
- ISO transformers iron -- FC-20S opt, LC-10-200DII choke, custom PT.
- ClarityCap TC 85uF 600V Polypropylene PS cap
- Mundorf Silver, Gold & Oil 0.1uF coupling caps.
- Resistors are mostly Takman MF but also some Takman CF, Kiwame CF in less crucial places.
- Mills MRA-10 non-inductive for the high wattage resistors.
- WBT NextGen binding posts.
- Mogami W2546 coaxial input wiring.
- Kimber TCSS 19ga wiring.
- Chassis by Landfall Systems

B+ is around 385V, bias at 80mA.
Currently using the 5K:8R tap, there is also a 3.5K tap.

Tubes are Gold Lion PX300B, Raytheon 5842 and Amperex Bugle Boy 5AR4.
Regarding the sound... I'm still looking for proper speakers... :)

Attachments

• 2020-01-22 16.34.19.jpg
    2020-01-22 16.34.19.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 813
  • 2020-01-22 16.28.38.jpg
    2020-01-22 16.28.38.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 812
  • 2020-01-22 16.33.45.jpg
    2020-01-22 16.33.45.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 801
  • 2020-01-23 23.46.56.jpg
    2020-01-23 23.46.56.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 778
  • 2020-02-07 17.50.43.jpg
    2020-02-07 17.50.43.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That is beautiful! If that doesn’t sound good, then nothing will! I built a two way out of Foster’s FF225K, and some ribbon tweeters from Fountek to go with my tubelab 300b, It’s a great combination! Sensitive enough to make a great combination. I can highly recommend them!

Here is my TSE II 300B amp... for this one, I was in audiophoolery mood and mixed it up a little from standard BOM.

Parts selection include:
- ISO transformers iron -- FC-20S opt, LC-10-200DII choke, custom PT.
- ClarityCap TC 85uF 600V Polypropylene PS cap
- Mundorf Silver, Gold & Oil 0.1uF coupling caps.
- Resistors are mostly Takman MF but also some Takman CF, Kiwame CF in less crucial places.
- Mills MRA-10 non-inductive for the high wattage resistors.
- WBT NextGen binding posts.
- Mogami W2546 coaxial input wiring.
- Kimber TCSS 19ga wiring.
- Chassis by Landfall Systems

B+ is around 385V, bias at 80mA.
Currently using the 5K:8R tap, there is also a 3.5K tap.

Tubes are Gold Lion PX300B, Raytheon 5842 and Amperex Bugle Boy 5AR4.
Regarding the sound... I'm still looking for proper speakers... :)

Whoow :) Impressive build!

You seem to have parts in control itsikhefez.
I see that the choke you use is 10H / 120 Ohm / 250mA

I myself am thinking about replacing the Triad C14X i have now (6H / 150 ohm) with an toroidal one :
Core type toroidal
Inductance L 10H
DC Resistance 45Ω
Nominal DC Current 250mA
Nominal voltage 400V

But i don't know yet if the low resistance on that coil is good or not good in THIS build?

Contgrat's again with your'e SuperB build :up:

Rgds; Jesper.

That is beautiful! If that doesn’t sound good, then nothing will! I built a two way out of Foster’s FF225K, and some ribbon tweeters from Fountek to go with my tubelab 300b, It’s a great combination! Sensitive enough to make a great combination. I can highly recommend them!

Thank you very much! I am trying to finalize a Frugal-Horn 3 build with FE126En. If I like that style I may consider the BK-20 which supports the 8" Fostex's.

Whoow :) Impressive build!

You seem to have parts in control itsikhefez.
I see that the choke you use is 10H / 120 Ohm / 250mA

I myself am thinking about replacing the Triad C14X i have now (6H / 150 ohm) with an toroidal one :

But i don't know yet if the low resistance on that coil is good or not good in THIS build?

Contgrat's again with your'e SuperB build :up:
Rgds; Jesper.

Thank you very much! The ISO choke is heavy and does an excellent job. The amp is black silent there is zero hum or noise on the output. I have to put my ear literally on the tweeter to hear that the amp is on.

Re: the choke you're looking at, trying putting the data in PSUD and see how B+ changes with the lower resistance. I assume that 10H should filter better than 6H but make sure B+ is not too high.

itsikhefez,

Nice work, congratulations!

Sorry if this was already discussed earlier - what speakers are you using now?

Thank you! I had actually started a different thread regarding speaker recommendations.
I tried both Klipsch Quartet's and PMC twenty.21 bookshelves. The Quartets are very efficient but they dip below 4ohms and I only wired 8ohm taps. The sound is nice but nothing special, there is some lack in dynamics.
The PMC are again not an ideal speaker choice but their impedance is much closer to 8ohms most of the time and actually sound quite good. They are not too efficient so max volume is limited and sufficient only for a small room.
As mentioned earlier I am building an FH3.... I really screwed up the build and trying to still make it work. I have completed one speaker and have one more to go.
If not the FH3, I am currently trying to decide between the Zu Omen DW which should be released again in April, or a different flat pak. Something like the BK-20 or the Tang Band D4-1

As mentioned earlier I am building an FH3.... I really screwed up the build and trying to still make it work. I have completed one speaker and have one more to go.
If not the FH3, I am currently trying to decide between the Zu Omen DW which should be released again in April, or a different flat pak. Something like the BK-20 or the Tang Band D4-1

itsikhefez,

I don't have any experience with the FE126EN, but have heard the FE206EN and FE166EN, and those drivers also have a more "forward" presentation vs more "neutral" sounding speakers. Some folks love them, others not so much, but each to their own. Do you have the drivers already?

The BK-20 is an older design - there are quite a few newer and better designs available now.

Your PMC Twenty.21 is a different beast altogether - looked up a review, and doesn't look like a good match for a low watt single ended tube amp. It is likely that they will sing much better paired with a good solid state amplifier with more power.

Beautiful build, itsikhefez! That's one to be proud of. Front Panel Express top plate I assume? The fit and finish look great!

Thank you very much, much appreciated! I used the FPD software but Landfall made the entire chassis, including CNC the top plate.

itsikhefez,

I don't have any experience with the FE126EN, but have heard the FE206EN and FE166EN, and those drivers also have a more "forward" presentation vs more "neutral" sounding speakers. Some folks love them, others not so much, but each to their own. Do you have the drivers already?

The BK-20 is an older design - there are quite a few newer and better designs available now.

Your PMC Twenty.21 is a different beast altogether - looked up a review, and doesn't look like a good match for a low watt single ended tube amp. It is likely that they will sing much better paired with a good solid state amplifier with more power.

I have a pair of FE126En, one is in the single completed FH3 and the other is waiting for me to complete the other speaker.
The PMC was never intended for the TSE, but I tried it just because I had it around. I am finishing a Firstwatt F5 clone that I am going to try with the PMC.

Do you have any suggestions for pairings? Perhaps can be discussed over at the other thread...

Another succesful TSE-II

Finished up my 300B TSE-II build a few weeks ago. Lucky for me, it fired up on the first try. I have about 50 hours on it and it simply sounds fantastic.

I'm running Gold Lion 300B's. The OTs are Electraprint 5K primaries. My B+ is about 390 volts and I have the bias set at 65mA per tube. Nothing exotic on the component side, K40 coupling caps. I'm using Amperex JAN 5842 drivers and an RCA branded Mullard 5AR4.

The top plate is from Front Panel Express and the chassis is made from leopardwood with a tung oil finish.

Just a marvelous sounding amplifier playing thru my Franken-Altec speakers.

Thanks to George for a great design and to all the forum members that posted helpful information on their builds. Reading every post sure helped me to be successful on my build.

Attachments

• IMG_0127A.jpg
    IMG_0127A.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_0133A.jpg
    IMG_0133A.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_0130A.jpg
    IMG_0130A.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 725
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Finished up my 300B TSE-II build a few weeks ago. Lucky for me, it fired up on the first try. I have about 50 hours on it and it simply sounds fantastic.

I'm running Gold Lion 300B's. The OTs are Electraprint 5K primaries. My B+ is about 390 volts and I have the bias set at 65mA per tube. Nothing exotic on the component side, K40 coupling caps. I'm using Amperex JAN 5842 drivers and an RCA branded Mullard 5AR4.

The top plate is from Front Panel Express and the chassis is made from leopardwood with a tung oil finish.

Thanks to George for a great design and to all the forum members that posted helpful information on their builds. Reading every post sure helped me to be successful on my build.

Very nice amp! Well done!

Looks very nice... I was not familiar with leopardwood, I like the color and grain pattern.

I'm also designing a top plate for a TSE-II. Would your share your design file?

Thanks, Jacques

Another FPD for SSE

Here is another SSE build, I did it a few years back. Jacques you asked about a Front Panel Design file for the top plate. I've attached a ZIP of FPD design along with the backplate design

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 586
  • SSE FPD top & back.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 91