• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

I added the CL140 to the secondary side in the SSE amp board back in 2011. This was a point in time where all three of the major new production tube makers were selling poor quality 5AR4 tubes. The rectifier tube must try to fill the empty filter caps in a tube amp while it is warming up. This requires a uniformly coated cathode concentrically mounted in the plate so that all the start up current does not happen at a single point. A thin spot in the coating will heat faster and start to emit electrons first. A point where the cathode is closer to the plate than normal will flow more current than the rest of the cathode. If the current density is too high in eeither case the tube will arc further damaging the coating. Many SSE's built with modern cost reduced (less wire for less resistance) pushed the 5AR4 near it's spec limit and some brand new tubes sparked out on first power on. The CL90 on the primary slows the inrush caused by the low cold resistance of the tube heaters. The CL140 on the secondary side doesn't begin to act until the rectifier tube starts to conduct, blunting the current surge which saves marginally constructed tubes.

In the case of silicon diodes the CL140 keeps the peak charging current down making life easier on the diodes, transformer and first capacitor. I generally only used the CL140 in SSEs or other applications where a tube rectifier is pushed near the spec.

I have also seen a CL140 burst into flames if the total peak current is high enough. Here I was using a 480 volt industrial control transformer (very low DCR), a bunch of series diodes, and big polypropylene cap. There is a maximum spec for these things, but serious math is required to use it and most use cases for tube amp builders are within the spec.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it correct that the CL-140 is installed in the places marked in red?

Simple.jpg

Reactions: 1 user