• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab Simple P-P

I am guessing you have not heard that George's wife Sherri is now experiencing some medical issues

Yeah, but we are stuck in the wait untill the next appointment mode until next Monday. Unfortunately I was stuck at work late for much of the past two weeks including one Saturday. I have not had much time to work on anything tubular.

The manual for the construction of the PC BOARD itself is done. Some of the general "tubes and transformers" stuff is done also. I posted it to my web site using the procedure prescribed by the tech at the hosting company, but it dissapeared into the ether zone some where. I will try again this weekend. A few advanced builders have already got their boards, and really want the instructions.

The connection diagram that shows the connections external to the PC board is not completed yet. Some other checkout and hook up information is probably needed before I open up general sales.

I have started 3 amps whose builds are being photographed and documented for the web site. One was already a working amp, but I took it apart so I could photograph its reassembly. I am working on another amplifier that is visually different than anything seen before. It uses two boards in dual mono block configuration. The electronics and a few transformer candidates are sitting on the workbench waiting for some attention.

The manual for the construction of the PC BOARD itself is done. Some of the general "tubes and transformers" stuff is done also. I posted it to my web site using the procedure prescribed by the tech at the hosting company, but it dissapeared into the ether zone some where.

As I said previously, I posted the board assembly instructions to my web site about two weeks ago. It seems that they were actually on the web site but nobody could see them. No matter what I did I couldn't make the link bar show up, so I just made a text link and stuck it right under the amp picture on my home page. IT WORKS!

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManualSimpleP-P/StartHere_SPP.html

I drew the connection diagrams on my laptop (and wasn't smart enough to copy them) which Sherri took with her on a rather short notice trip to her mothers. Her return trip has been delayed twice, but we both believe that she will return with the laptop tomorrow night. If I remember right, I need to finish some of them.

I have an amp being photographed as it is reassembled. With my current work schedule, it won't get done until next weekend.

George. XPWR131 is also an option, if you are feeling lucky.

The XPWR131 is probably more realistic. I have a Hammond 272JX and a Hammond 372HX. Both are rated for 300-0-300 volts, however Hammond volts don't seem to be the same as the volts that I read on my meter. Both Hammonds put out about 330-0-330 volts under load in the Simple P-P (about the same in a Tubelab SE). This gives me a B+ in the 350 to 360 volt range. How much B+ do you get with the XPWR131 in your amp? I also have some more Antek toroidal power transformers on order to test.

I have already been informed that I posted the wrong parts list in the manual. I put the Simple SE list instead. There are likely more errors since I built these instructions on my laptop over a 6 month period in at least 5 different states.

In order to debug the instructions, I have sent some boards and parts kits to a few Beta Builders of various skill levels. I will start a Beta Build thread later today for those builders to post their findings and showcase their builds.

How much B+ do you get with the XPWR131 in your amp?

Under full load, looks like it is around 370V. The Edcor is right on spec under load. Note that I am using a choke with 82 ohm DCR here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tube...wer-transformer-tubelab-se-3.html#post1804760

In order to debug the instructions, I have sent some boards and parts kits to a few Beta Builders of various skill levels. I will start a Beta Build thread later today for those builders to post their findings and showcase their builds.

Lemme know if you need any other beta testers. ;) I will be taking a drive over to Triode Electronics at some point in the next week or so and I was thinking about picking up a pair of their Dynaco ST35 OPTs.

George another thing I found was on the getting started page you stated this
Some builders may choose to use different capacitors when using 6CW5 tubes, although I have not found this necessary. R1 is a different value for each tube type. Make sure that you use the resistor that works with your choice of output tube. These are all outlined on the Tubes & Transformers page.

When going to the tubes and transformers page there is no mention of what value R1 should be.

don't be discouraged just scroll down...

BTW George, in reference to the above post in the this thread, the new Simple PP "Tubes and Transformers" page has the same huge blank part at the top. There is an extra row in the table with just a single space in it that has a height of 856 pixels. I think that is where the blank is coming from:

Code:
  <tr>

<td width="13%" height="100%" align="left" valign="top" bgcolor="#C0C0C0">

</td>
    <td width="87%" height="856" align="left" valign="top">

</td>
  </tr>