• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab SE socket raise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen various methods and materials used here to raise tube sockets for Tubelab SE amp and I thought I should share my latest and possibly the easiest way to raise the input tube sockets. No cutting, no drilling.

Here are what's needed besides 9 pin PC mount socket with a whole in the middle. 9 pin socket saver (cheap on ebay), 1 1/4 inch long #6 screw, nut and washer.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unscrew the existing one from the socket saver, slide it into socket, then put new screw and tighten it (not too hard or you may crack the ceramic socket).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then you can solder it to the circuit board. You can use one socket saver or two for additional height. Note, there may be a problem with impedance if the raised distance gets too long.

Here's a finished view. This one uses 2 socket savers.

I may post one for raising rectifier and output tube sockets later this week. Those do require drilling the circuit board though. :eek:

LOL...this is exactly what I am doing on my Tubelab SE. In fact, the "socket savers" will be flush-mounted to the top plate while the rectifier will be recessed. The output tubes are going to be more complicated as I am not using the ones on the PCB....

George has issues with high-frequency oscillation and recommends raising the grid stopper and using a carbon-comp resistor there. I have done both, but I am wondering if the extra distance from the stopper may bring back the gremlin. I took one of those socket savers apart and it seems like there is plenty of room to put the grid stopper right in there.

rknize said:
George has issues with high-frequency oscillation and recommends raising the grid stopper and using a carbon-comp resistor there. I have done both, but I am wondering if the extra distance from the stopper may bring back the gremlin. I took one of those socket savers apart and it seems like there is plenty of room to put the grid stopper right in there.

You mean R31 and R32? Yeah, I already replaced them per Tubelab instruction and I haven't noticed oscillation even with the raised tube sockets. I'm using 2 socket savers for each input tube.

Evenharmonics said:
You mean R31 and R32? Yeah, I already replaced them per Tubelab instruction and I haven't noticed oscillation even with the raised tube sockets. I'm using 2 socket savers for each input tube.

I think the oscillations were ultrasonic, but I don't remember exactly. I put the socket savers on when it was on the bread board. I didn't notice any issues, but I didn't put in on a scope either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.