• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Nubie first build Tubelab simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking the SimpeSE was going to come out on top as the parts are higher quality

Parts are parts. you can build the cheap one with higher grade parts or the expensive one with sub standard parts...
thats just like looking the pontiac vibe and toyota matrix
(pre 2008)
The toyota is seen as "better" and costs more but both cars run off the same assembly line with the same parts...

HEADinaJAR said:
The k-16ls is not in the same league as the SimpleSE as far as I can gather. I have not actually heard either amp.

[cut]]

The SimpleSe would be an entry into "high end" tube amplification and the K-16 an entry level into tube amps. SimpleSE just has a better "soudstage".

[[cut]

Help me with this guys.

I actually have both of these amps. The K-16 was my first foray into tube amps - and I purposely wanted to start off slow and cheap. I think it took me all of an hour to build. No chassis - just screwed onto a block of wood.

I was lucky I guess - or I just twisted my ac secondaries just right - the amp is dead quiet, and sounds very nice. Not being a pro audio reviewer, let me just say that is does very well with vocals (Sara Mclaughlin comes to mind) but any song with heavy bass sounds a little weak. I also think the power transformer is a little underdesigned - it gets pretty warm to the touch after a while.

The Simple SE that I have built (and still putting together) was made with with much better OPT's - I am currently running with Transendar 5K - 8 ohms - and they are probably the same size as the K-16's power transformer. The sound that I get from the SE is just phenomenal. The bass is so much fuller, and it's amazing how loud I can turn it up - a lot louder than I want to listen to it.

The biggest difference is that YOU have to make all the component choices and trade offs. You can't just order a Simple SE kit and have everything show up in the mail. To me that is what makes this kind of project so much more fun... and a lot more expensive too.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it - but be very aware of the high voltages on this - or any tube design. Read Georges pages on safety very carefully. If it doesn't scare the *crap* out of you - you should find another hobby.

Here is my SE as it looks today - once the Edcor's show up it's going to be even heavier !!!

Attachments

• 101_0627a.jpg
    101_0627a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 374
Thanks Oldmanstrat, well yes I am thinking along the same lines, I do not think I will learn much form the whole "kit" while the simpleSE will get me going on knowing what all the parts do. And had some room for tweaking as I learn more. I read over Georges warning and I am going to take it as good advice and keep moving towards building one, but thanks for mentioning this as a Nubie it is very important.
I am at the trying to select some tubes stage.
Cheers Ron.

Just is case you don't know, Ron, make sure you go to Tip Top Electronics on St. James before you order. They have Hammond chassis at least. Maybe even print out the parts list and see what all you can fill at Tip Top. You likely know this already but I'm just making sure.

If you see a truck with beginner's plates there, thats me.

Rob

oldmanStrat said:
. I chose Sovtek EL34's for my output drivers.Also a 12AT7, and a 5AR4. All soviet made... which strikes me as kinda funny...

In the 70's the backup SAGE (NORAD air traffic computer system) computer in North Bay was still a tube-based specialized computer from the 50s (buried in a 'hardened' site underground)- tube replacement was a an ongoing procedure (there were many thousand), and the tubes were coming from 'Eastern bloc nations', since they weren't made in the West any more. I guess everybody had a strong interest in keeping the false alarms from starting 'the big one'....
So you are just following a great tradition in using Soviet tubes.

;)

Cheers
John

HEADinaJAR said:
That's hilarious John!:) I read in a couple of internets chip amp afficianatos say the only reason people still build tube amps is because Russia and China never stopped making tubes.

Personally, I think it's the guitar players' continued demand for "real" tube amps from the manufacturers that are keeping the factory doors open. They are a bonus for us and its nice that other tubes are still being made, but I suspect the meaningful quantities come from Fender and those guys.

rknize said:

Personally, I think it's the guitar players' continued demand for "real" tube amps from the manufacturers that are keeping the factory doors open. They are a bonus for us and its nice that other tubes are still being made, but I suspect the meaningful quantities come from Fender and those guys.

I agree 100%.
That's the reason that anything I build with tubes (so far) uses 'common' guitar amp-type tubes. I want folks to keep them working after the NOS tubes are gone.

Cheers
John

HeadinaJar:
Thanks for the great lead of Tip Top Electronics on St. James, that is right in my end of town, how lucky. I was meaning to check out a few local places but have been busy with a few things and have not got around to it yey. I have some time off next week and I will be able to get over their for sure. I will watch out for your truck, andd we can have a confab.
And OldmanStrat I have been hearing good things about the Sovtek EL34's as far as price/quality goes, thank you, yes blowing up tubes will be a something I could easily do.
Cheers Ron.

Mungo Park said:
I have been hearing good things about the Sovtek EL34's as far as price/quality goes...

I bought some old Sovtek EL34G. While the price was very low, I was not impressed with the quality of these tubes. The screen grids glow brightly in multiple places when they are running in my Simple SE. Perhaps they would be better suited for a different amp, where the screen voltage was much lower?

no problems so far with my EL34's. Mine also aren't marked with a G on the tube...

The only glowing I get is at the top of the tube where it looks like the heater pokes out of the top of the assembly.

This amp does give off a lot of heat though - the entire top aluminum plate gets pretty warm to the touch after a few hours!

I think I'll bring my infa-red thermometer home and measure some temps...

Ty_Bower said:

I'd start by looking at these:

Thanks Ty_Bower,

I just looked at those, but since I have no experience with audio electronics (it is my first time getting into such a project) I have a hard time deciding what is good and what is better... I would like to make an amp that sounds good.

So my point is that I wouldnt know which one to chose from the output transformers.... are there any output differences that could make my choice easier?

what about tubes?

thanks a lot

The two that Ty is listing are from Hammond's "best" SE line. One has a 3500 primary impedance and the other is 5000. The one you choose will depend on your goals. If you are going for a high B+ (Ty's power transformer choice will do that) and you are planning to use EL34s, then you probably want to go for the 5k primary. This will also work great for bigger tubes like the KT88 but will sacrifice a little power for less distortion. If you plan to run only big tubes, then the 3.5k primary will yield more power and will have slightly higher distortion.

If a few less watts are not a huge concern, then I'd go for the 5000 ohm. Which sounds the "best" are in the ears of the beholder...so to speak.

This page gives an overview of the amp and discusses some of the trade offs:

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE.htm

This page details simulations of many possible combinations:

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManualSimpleSE/TubesAndTransformers_SSE.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.