• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Second Tubelab Simple SE board done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently finished testing of my second Tubelab Simple SE amp build-up and just wanted to once again praise George of Tubelab for putting together this neat little DIY system. I find this to be a great opportunity for learning and creating in the audio hobby. I bought 4 boards and will likely buy more. For about $50 you can build different flavor modules of this great sounding circuit; keep them on the shelf and swap back in allowing very cool comparison of components ( capacitors, resistors, output transformers, and well as the built -in switches for rectifier and grid usage .
This time I used Russian Ft-3 .22 teflon coupling capacitors and JJ GZ-34 S rectifier. Output transformers are Edcor CXSE 25-8-5K ( i really like these) and the driver tube is an RFT 12AT7.
Power tubes are still the Russian 6P3S-E (so far, a great value). I am using a 6SN7 based pre-amp I built as a kit from Mapletree Audio Design( another cool build) but will likely incorporate a SMD attenuator volume control when this board gets built into a suitable box.
Tweaks I have included are the large air conditioning type polypropylene and oil power supply caps ( that are further bypassed by some Russian Pios) , the Triad choke, and the 47 Ohm CL-80 Thermistor ( i think the JJ tube arced without this).
To some up this project in one phrase: Very satisfying sound for the money. This amp is at least the equal of $3000 amps I have had in my system. Now, this amp is not a frat house party amp , you understand, but my neighbors have commented how good the music sounds that emminates from my garage/ workshop.
Pictures to follow when I do the chassis build. Right now , I'll just have a good listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.