• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple Simple SE questions

Can I omit the board mounted C1 and C2 electrolytics and instead use motor runs (that I'll mount on the top plate)? If so should I match exact values of 120uF and 47uF? ( I have 100uF and 50uF motor runs so far).

Certainly more questions to follow. In fact if any one else wants to use this thread for S SE build questions please feel free. I'm sure I'd like to read the answers as well.

Thanks, Don

I'm one of the worst at getting this project finished. Am making another surge to get more done.

Hey Mr Tubelab,

recently when you turned a Simple SE into a PP amp, and you used Local (plate to grid) feedback, did you ever think of how this could be implemented in the Simple SE? I really want to try this out, it may just be the fix to my Fostex problems See my other thread.

Thank you

-Moose

The feedback could be applied the same way with a resistor from the 12AT7 plate to the output tube plate. Something in the 100K up range. In theory it is not going to work, but I haven't tried it. Plate to grid feedback relies on a driver with a relatively high output impedance. If the driver had zero output impedance there would be no feedback. A triode driver has a low output impedance which does not remain constant with applied signal. A pentode has a fairly high and constant output impedance which is why you see this done with pentode drivers.

I had wired the triode driver in a cascode (with a mosfet for the upper device) for my experiments. This configuration kind of works like a pentode. Serious board butchery was required to do this. I have plenty of boards, and 3 that are built up for experiments, so I am not afraid of ruining one. That particular board is on its way out since it got coated with capacitor goo when I got carried away blowing up 6V6's. I can take all of the parts off of a board using a propane torch and use them to build a new board. It takes me about an hour total.

Okay! this is very informative, However, The Reason I ask is a bit different, which is why I must ask another question.

Mr. Nelson Pass recommends that full range drivers be powered with a current source amplifier (Pentode). So when this local feedback is applied to a pentode (giving it Triode-like curves), Does it still behave as a current source, or does it become a Voltage source like its cousin the Triode?

I wish I could see a video of that..

OK, maybe next time I do some I can make a video. I have a few boards laying around that I want to take the sockets off of. The process isn't complicated, but does make a stink, so it must be done outside.

Mr. Nelson Pass recommends that full range drivers be powered with a current source amplifier

Some full range drivers like to be fed with a current source, not all. A current source has a high output impedance, and a very low damping factor (near zero). Many speakers will exhibit poor bass control when driven with a current source. A voltage source has a low output impedance resulting in a very high damping factor.

A pentode tube has a high output impedance. A triode has a far lower output impedance. NFB applied to either tube will lower its output impedance. The higher the feedback, the lower the output impedance. Most pentode amplifiers have feedback applied to lower the output impedance even if the distortion is already low enough.

The output impedance of a non feedback SE pentode amplifier can be in the range of 6 to 10 ohms. A non feedback triode can be in the range of 2 to 4 ohms. These are neither good voltage or current sources. A typical solid state amp with a big bunch of feedback can be in the range of 0.01 ohms, nearly a "perfect" voltage source. Nelson's "First Watt" series of solid state amps have a high output impedance (100 ohms maybe) making them look like current sources. The literature that I read explains that they were not for just any speaker.

Does it still behave as a current source, or does it become a Voltage source like its cousin the Triode?

If you apply feedback to a pentode it will begin to look like a voltage source. Apply enough feedback to any tube amp, and it will start to look, and sound like a solid state amp, if there is enough gain to support the feedback.

I have a couple beginner questions as well.

I just recently learned about motor run capacitors but I don't fully understand why people use them. They seem to be much larger and more expensive that electrolytics. Is there an advantage of using them (other than cool looks)?

Also, has anyone added a headphone jack to a Simple SE? If so, I am curious if you used resistors or a transformer and what values were used.

Hi,
I am looking to built a simple se and I have some questions:
1. What are the characteristics that I should look for a choke for this amp (Inductance, DCR, current)? I know c-14x and c-24x from Triad, and Hammond 193[J-H] would work, but I may get something in a local surplus center.

2. What is the difference between "metal oxide film" and "metal film" resistors? How can I make the difference between the two in a surplus store?

3. Is the FRED diode failure problem solve? Is it still there if there is no standby switch?

4. Fellow Canadian, what is the best method to achieve low shipping cost (with brokerage and all the hidden fees)? I am particularly thinking of the output transfo and power transfo (heavy).

Thanks,

Hi,

(4) ONLY ship USPS, and the most they will charge is a $5 brokers fee. A lot of times 0$. They will charge PST & GST especially over $100. Depends on which customs it comes through. Shipments from retail stores always taxed. Old tubes and electronic parts seem to be taxed especially if over $100. Maybe forms have to be filled out as antique parts. If possible ship First Class Mail International, a bit slower and no insurance, but can be many $ less. Priority Mail can be double in price. Go to USPS.com. I don't think may will steal old electronic parts as they will have trouble selling them. I have had small items shipped First class from many internet sellers and never had a problem. Most retail stores will only ship priority and lot of times insurance is still optional extra $. Lesser than years past only ship Fedex, UPS, Purolator etc. Heavy bulky items may only ship priority, and if so $ can be saved by using USPS shipping boxes, but size is limited to their different sized boxes. Can be less $ to ship heavy transformers individually this way, as heavy items are more likely to be dropped and damaged especially if they bang into each other or delicate items in the same box. Well packed items solves problem, but does not always happen because of time, costs & knowledge.

Good Luck!

Randy

Last edited:
#1) Any choke (within reason) is far better than no choke. The choke must be rated for at least 150 ma, 175 or more would be ideal. The DC resistance should ideally be 80 to 150 ohms, but anything from 40 to 250 ohms will work. The inductance should be 4 to 10 Henries, but I have used a 1 Hy choke, and it still worked better than using the resisitor.

#2) a film resistor is made by depoisting a thin film of resistive material on a ceramic substrate and then laser trimming the resulting resistor to the desired value. The resistive material can be a metal alloy (metal film) or a metal alloy that has been oxidized (metal oxide film).

The metal films are more conductive so less material is needed for a given resistance value. This makes them more suited for low power resistors, and they tend to exhibit lower noise and higher stability than a metal oxide film. The metal oxide film is uaually thicker and can often handle more power than a metal film resistor, but it will usually contribute more noise to a circuit than a metal film resistor, and be more prone to value change with a temperature change. These are broad generalizations and modern manufacturing mathods has blurred the lines between these types a bit.

I usually use metal film resistors for all of the small (1/4 watt and 1/2 watt) resistors and metal oxide films for the higher powered parts. There is another type, the wirewound resistor which is made from resistive wire. These are good for higher powered resistors and used for R1, R17 and R27.

3) The old IXYS parts work fine. The newer ones (made in the last 3 or 4 years) will fail in this circuit. The Fairchild Stealth Diode # ISL9R8120P2 will work just fine. The FRED diodes are only needed if you want to use a solid state rectifier, and may be omitted with a vacuum tube rectifier.

I have a couple beginner questions as well.

I just recently learned about motor run capacitors but I don't fully understand why people use them. They seem to be much larger and more expensive that electrolytics. Is there an advantage of using them (other than cool looks)?
Capacitors have several "secondary" parameters that may affect the performance in a particular circuit. Besides Capacitance and breakdown voltage, there is ESR (Effective Series Resistance), Inductance, Dielectric absorption, temperature, microphonics, to name a few.
Motor run capacitors are designed to have very low ESR, and when used as the last cap in the power supply can lower the power supply impedance. Its your job to decide where their advantages outweigh the cost and size penalties. Isn't DIY grand? ;)

I see Tubelab beat me to it. To Obi Wan you listen.

HTH

Doug

3) The old IXYS parts work fine. The newer ones (made in the last 3 or 4 years) will fail in this circuit. The Fairchild Stealth Diode # ISL9R8120P2 will work just fine. The FRED diodes are only needed if you want to use a solid state rectifier, and may be omitted with a vacuum tube rectifier.

Hi,
Would this work for the FRED?
Digi-Key - APT30DQ120KGMI-ND (Manufacturer - APT30DQ120KG)
I try to limit the number of distributor to limit the shipping/handling cost.

Thanks

Just like nickolas812 “…I have absolutely no idea what i am doing. I just thought it would be fun to try and build a tube amp…” I am starting to build this amp also and this will be my first ever attempt to build an electronic device.

For now I have a couple of questions regarding parts. For sure I will have more questions as the build start.

I intend to build the amp using tube rectifier and will be using KT88. Currently I have a P-P integrated amp (purchased not build) using quad KT88 (EH) and I have spare (quad) OEM Chinese KT88 that came with the amp that I can use as guinea pig. I definitely wanted to try out the EL34 later with this amp. So

Parts that I have purchased so far:
PC board – Simple SE
Power transformer – Edcor XPWR035 (really big and heavy)
OPT – Edcor CXSE25-8-5K (really big and heavy)

I’ll be ordering the following:
Choke – Hammond 193H
Rectifier tube – 5AR4
Coupling cap – AuriCap

and the remaining BOM from the list on Tubelab site.

Where I am not sure:

1) Motor Run Cap – Is this the same as “Supplemental Capacitor” in Tubelab’s document? I have read in a thread about one (100uF 370 VAC ASC) For my setup, do I need 100uf? 370 or 440 VAC?

2) Inrush current limiter- can someone provide a diagram where they will go. I got the Digikey part # from another thread (KC009L-ND) but not sure where they will go.

3)KT88 turbo switch – also read from another thread of putting a “1k ohm” in parallel with the 560ohm (R17,R27) with a switch and turn it on for KT88 and off if using EL34. Are we talking 1k ohm 5W wirewound resistor same type like the 560? Any ideal what is the best way to hook them all up?

4)Semiconductor – (D1,D2,U10,U20) Do I still need them if I am using the tube rectifier?

Where I am not sure:

1) Motor Run Cap – Is this the same as “Supplemental Capacitor” in Tubelab’s document? I have read in a thread about one (100uF 370 VAC ASC) For my setup, do I need 100uf? 370 or 440 VAC?

2) Inrush current limiter- can someone provide a diagram where they will go. I got the Digikey part # from another thread (KC009L-ND) but not sure where they will go.

3)KT88 turbo switch – also read from another thread of putting a “1k ohm” in parallel with the 560ohm (R17,R27) with a switch and turn it on for KT88 and off if using EL34. Are we talking 1k ohm 5W wirewound resistor same type like the 560? Any ideal what is the best way to hook them all up?

4)Semiconductor – (D1,D2,U10,U20) Do I still need them if I am using the tube rectifier?

1 Yes. AC rated capacitors can be conservatively rated at 1.4 times their AC rating. 60 mF or more would great. If you can get the 80 mF or 100 mF, those would be ideal. If your power supply is going to be designed to be above 460V, get the 440V AC caps. If not the 370 are good to 516Vdcor more.

2. Put it between the fuse and the transformer primary.

3. Use solder? Sorry, couldn't resist. If it were mine I would do a little perf board with solder lugs. Cut the jumper for one, solder in the jumper for the other. And yes, use a 5 watt part.

Would this work for the FRED?
Digi-Key - APT30DQ120KGMI-ND (Manufacturer - APT30DQ120KG)

1200V @ 30 Amp is very robust. Looking at the web page, it specifies 1200 PIV, and you have that right.

The IXYS parts are rated for 1200 volts and 12 amps, yet they blow up. It turns out that the diodes can deal with the voltage and the current just fine. They blow when the amp is switched off! Why? The power transformer stores energy in its magnetic field which can be released as a brief spike when the power is shut off. This is the same principal that is used in an automotive ignition coil. This spike will blow a diode that is not rated to handle it. The APT diodes do have an avalanche rating of 20mJ which is the same as the Fairchild parts, but I have not personally used them.

The IXYS parts are rated for 1200 volts and 12 amps, yet they blow up. It turns out that the diodes can deal with the voltage and the current just fine. They blow when the amp is switched off! Why? The power transformer stores energy in its magnetic field which can be released as a brief spike when the power is shut off. This is the same principal that is used in an automotive ignition coil. This spike will blow a diode that is not rated to handle it. The APT diodes do have an avalanche rating of 20mJ which is the same as the Fairchild parts, but I have not personally used them.

Really! That makes sense. That's a good example of parts substitution is not trivial because the important parameters are not always obvious.

Best wishes to your family.

Doug

1 Yes. AC rated capacitors can be conservatively rated at 1.4 times their AC rating. 60 mF or more would great. If you can get the 80 mF or 100 mF, those would be ideal. If your power supply is going to be designed to be above 460V, get the 440V AC caps. If not the 370 are good to 516Vdcor more.

2. Put it between the fuse and the transformer primary.

3. Use solder? Sorry, couldn't resist. If it were mine I would do a little perf board with solder lugs. Cut the jumper for one, solder in the jumper for the other. And yes, use a 5 watt part.

Thanks Doug,

For the Inrush current limitor, I read in another thread, can't find it anymore, that there should be three, does that mean putting all before the trans primary?