• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Tubelab web site down, no more SimpleSE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah lawyers and corporate trolls. :rolleyes:

As if the Tubelab.com's PCB's could ever impact Nuvo's sales? In any case I'll tuck this away in the back of my brain to avoid any products made by this company or its parent. I suppose they'll try to take down diyAudio next or try to delete the posts that use their "trademark".

This blows, but it's just a small bump in the road, and proof that you're doing good work. At least enough so that a corporate monster would take notice and feel threatened.

Wavebourn thanks for the offer, but for now the web site is back to life, and Valueweb is claiming that all is fixed.

Traffic to my site runs pretty high, high enough that I had to clange hosting plans when the construction manuals went live. My site is about 70% pictures which consume considerable bandwidth. This rules out a home server, which is also prohibited by the two high speed providers that service my area, Comcast and AT&T.

My current hosting contract expires next month, so a change is in order. Sherri and I were planning to expand the site to include a shopping cart service, but this adds considerable cost. There have been some major changes in our life lately with some more coming, so we may be reevaluating those plans. Thanks for all of the hosting ideas, I will check into them before making any decisions.

As for the amplifier name, I don't see how Simple SE (with a space) can be in violation of their trademark since it is a descriptive term, but I am not a lawyer. I just bought a large stack of PC boards which are fortunately labled Simple SE.

tubelab.com said:
Wavebourn thanks for the offer, but for now the web site is back to life, and Valueweb is claiming that all is fixed.

Traffic to my site runs pretty high, high enough that I had to clange hosting plans when the construction manuals went live. My site is about 70% pictures which consume considerable bandwidth. This rules out a home server, which is also prohibited by the two high speed providers that service my area, Comcast and AT&T.

You may consider one more provider for images only (there are lots of them now, with enormous amount of clustered SANs on fiber optics) leaving HTML where it is more convenient, or use Akamai to cache images.

Got it all wrong...

You people have it all wrong. Since I work in the Internet industry, it's almost sickening. You don't buy $6 Shuguang 6L6s for your Macintoshs, Quads, Homebrews..., you buy $400 Quads of Genelex KT66s. Why? Because it's better!

So, in the face of crappy web host with no phone number - you recommend - another cheap host with no phone number. What is up with that?

This is FALSE ECONOMY. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it a good deal. Your time is worth far more than this, stop messing around. Find a reputable local host with a phone number.

The company I work for charges $20 a month hosting, and we have a phone number you can call anytime. No phone system, no press 1, you get a real person who speaks english natively.

If your site isn't worth that (and TubeLabs is) then get a free blog from word press and forget about it...

George,

Take a look at lunarpages.com. Really great service with all kinds of levels and optiions for everybody, and superb technical support.

In the last two years they have had my particular server down for maintenance/upgrades, but always gave me plenty of notice and finished on time or early.

-- Jim

Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't mind paying a fair price for RELIABLE internet hosting. I have been on Valueweb for 5 years and until now it has been great. I was paying $18 per month for more space and bandwidth than I could use. Valueweb is a local company with their servers located about 5 miles from here. I have always been able to get a human on the phone by dialing a local phone number. When hurricane Wilma came to town and trashed the Fort Lauderdale area we were without power for 3 weeks, but my web site didn't even blink. I was posting pictures via dial up on a computer powered by a generator.

About 3 weeks ago I got an email stating that Valueweb had been acquired by Hostway. The "migration" would be "seamless". The email server is now far slower and some users told me that they had to click on a page several times to get it to load. Then it all died. The phone numbers were all busy, and there was no response to email. Maybe something bad really happened, it was stormy Tuesday night, or maybe something wasn't really "seamless". It all seems to be working OK today.

pmillett, Which GoDaddy plan are you using? I have visited your site several times, and downloaded a few books. It has always worked great for me, and your web site has got to be as big, or bigger than mine. I noticed some very reasonable plans on their web site.

And hey, they sponsor the best looking Indy car driver...

I even watched the race... We are not supposed to mention the company that I work for, but they paid $10 MILLION dollars to get their logo pasted all over her racing jacket, gloves, and car, and they laid off 355 engineers at the facility where I work last month including most of my friends. Their last day was today.:(

tubelab.com said:
pmillett, Which GoDaddy plan are you using? I have visited your site several times, and downloaded a few books. It has always worked great for me, and your web site has got to be as big, or bigger than mine. I noticed some very reasonable plans on their web site.

I'm on the "premium" plan, not for the storage but for the high traffic allowance. Downloads of all those big PDF books adds up.

They have bumped up the numbers since I signed up ~2 years ago, so I could probbaly live with the next cheaper plan. It is nice to have a big enough allowance that I don't have to worry about it, though.

The site has never been down to my knowledge since I moved it there. They have had responsive tech support when I've had questions. All worth 50 cents per day to me!

Pete

I'm a bit biased about web hosting, but check out Jumpline.com. I worked for them as a lead programmer several years ago, and they're a good bunch of guys out in Columbus Ohio. Reasonable pricing too. Things have probably changed a lot since I was with them, but they do use good equipment and software and keep everything in an awesome datacenter.

During my time they were only providing e-mail support, but it appears that phone support is available now too.

Webhosting is really a cutthroat industry, and a lot of providers out there will cut a lot of corners to make a profit. Most companies will "oversubscribe" their products and will try to dump you, or charge you huge fees, if you use a lot of bandwidth, disk, cpu, etc.

Your home page will probably generate the greatest amount of traffic, so keep it light. Just a small simple page, with some info to promo your company and products. Use text instead of images for buttons wherever you can, etc. Don't use MS FrontPage! Then from the home page you can provide folks with the heavier pages, with all the big photos and big pages. Having more pages also can reduce bandwidth usage.

Heck, you may even be able to slip in some advertising to offset your costs? I'm sure guys like partsconnexion, Handmade Electronics, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc may be interested in some targeted ads.

Let me know if I can help at all. In any case don't sweat it too much. Family comes first.

tubelab.com said:
We are not supposed to mention the company that I work for, but they paid $10 MILLION dollars to get their logo pasted all over her racing jacket, gloves, and car, and they laid off 355 engineers at the facility where I work last month including most of my friends. Their last day was today.:(

If it is who I think it is, that would explain your trips to Chicago. To be fair, that money they blew on an almost unnoticeable dot on the side of a car would only support the families of those employees for slightly over 6 months. Makes me sorry I just purchased one of their products last week. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.