• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

First Project Finished-Tubelab Simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/IMG]

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

OK not exactly breaking new ground here but thought I'd post the finished article! Had a few teething troubles with an input connector & a couple of joints but it's finally done after about 3 months of grabbing the odd hour here & there after work & on rainy weekends. I initially built it with the $20 edcor's which sounded very sweet but lacked bottom end on rock driving my 15ohm vintage wharfedales so I sprang for the bigger edcors, definately better with my big speakers. I had tinkered with a couple of old heathkits previously but this project was definately a big learning curve for me. The chassis is steel hammond which took some work but is very solid, I was glad I went for the biggest I could fit in my rack. Coupling caps are russian PIO off ebay & some of the higher wattage resistors are kiwame which were pricey as I had trouble finding high wattage resistors. I scored cheap bits off ebay wherever possible like the tubes, wiring etc. I am really pleased with the sound & especially the way it goes loud like all the way up without distortion. It's detailed but not clinical & has tons of bass. I'm driving it from my cheapish Yaoin MS12 tube pre/phono stage. I have an old Tandberg wooden reel to reel case that's the base for my next one...probably will have a go at the Tubelab SE
I would definately recommend the Tubelab as a first project, the manual is a big help!
Thanks to George for doing it! & for all the inspiration on here!
Mike

What'd you use for the auxiliary cap?

I'm thinking of starting to gather parts for one. Not sure if to use a big electrolytic, a motor run, or a both polyfilm (cause it's faster) and a big electrolytic (cause it's big).

I was thinking of using the new GSXE Edcors.

It's a motor RUN oil cap I got off ebay in the US from the link posted by Chris on here in one of his posts on his simple SE build. I bought two for $12 each from memory (it was a few months ago). I think it was 80uf 500v. Couldn't get a clip big enough so I just made one up from scrap copper sheet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.