• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hey Tubelab, Transformer Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In looking around for more alternative sources for power and output transformers, I came across this outfit in Florida?

You know anything about these guys?

http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/index.html

He seems to have a few low cost viable options instead of higher cost Hammonds and Edcores. Might be worth a peek, I am going to grab one of his PT's to try out, Maybe a PP OT also.

Check out his offerings, Might be worth the effort.

Trout

I have seen these transformers listed on Ebay, but haven't tried any of them. I have never met the person, and his address puts him about an hour north of me. The prices are good, so I may try them some day, but I haven't had time for any tube experimentation in the last month or so, an the next 7 weeks don't look good either. I have several trips scheduled, including a possible trip to the Chicago area. Several of us were headed to Schaumburg and Libertyville last week, but after two hours sitting in the airport, United cancelled the flight.

These same transformers were mentioned in a thread here about 2 days ago. There was a question about using the SE OPT's for HiFi purposes. The maker said that they wouldn't work, but for $17, I might just have to "test" one.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104478

Hey, My Gals office is Right Next to Schaumburg (Bartlett)

We live another 22 miles out But If your going to be in town a couple days, Maybe we can hook up.

I just got an Email from the Transformer Guy, I ordered the 325V unit. Based on the provided info I just got, It will replace the 272BX I currently use a lot of. Plus, I suspect it should run much cooler with the corrected primary V's and extra 1/4 inch of laminations.

I may try to get him to build me some 350-0-350 200ma with 5V@3A and 6.3V @4A for my bigger amps. Thats a pretty popular size for Tweed era Bassmans, Bandmasters and would most likely do some fine audiophile gear.

Trout

I'll post Pictures on arrival.

tubelab.com said:
It takes some convincing to get travel approved, so I won't be sure that I am going until my but is in a airplane seat, The last I had heard was that the trip will be recheduled in late july.

Sounds like most companies these days LOL.

So far, those Edcore Transformers I ordered are really doing a great job in my 5W guitar amps. They are a world better than even the vintage originals, or lets say, They do what I wanted to do better than the original Vintage Champ transformers.

I got a lot of the XSE15-8-5K made up with leads instead of those tab terminals and they seem pretty much bullet proof. Hopefully this guys equivalent will come close.

My biggest issue was finding power transformers I liked.
Edcore has nothing with 5V taps and The Hammonds (272BX) I have been using work well, but tend to run a bit hotter than I like. I have not had any fail, but then again, None of them have been in use over a year.
If this guy turns out to be reliable on his sourcing, He does do custom parts in any quantity.

BTW, the current units are not ROHS compliant, but the next batch is.

Trout

G'Day Trout,

Edcore sound like they were happy to make up custom XSE15-8-5K transformers for you, have you asked them about custom power transformers? They might be interested if there is enough of a market. We have even less choice here in Australia than you guys as we are running 240 volts. Would be great to see some of these budget transformers in 240 volt for the European and Asian markets.

Chris

chrish said:
G'Day Trout,

Edcore sound like they were happy to make up custom XSE15-8-5K transformers for you, have you asked them about custom power transformers? They might be interested if there is enough of a market. We have even less choice here in Australia than you guys as we are running 240 volts. Would be great to see some of these budget transformers in 240 volt for the European and Asian markets.

Chris

Actually, I did ask about getting a couple PTs made to spec, But they were not cost competitive enough on the particular units I needed, actually I felt even a bit High for custom.

If you need parts that can easily be based on their current production offerings, They are great.

If I get where I need 50 or more, they might still be a good source, but for now I just buy a known replacement.

Trout

fsjonsey said:
http://musicalpowersupplies.com/3.html
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you think one of these transformers would be an improvement over the dinky paper bobbin ones used in a magnavox 6v6 PP console amp?

If Memory serves, Matt at MPS is making or has a new bigger transformer in the works right now.
The new supplier in Central America opens up a slew of design opportunities. As soon as I get my OT12SE replacement back in stock we're going to bring to market an OT8SE, OT20SE, OT15PP and OT40PP.

I would think that the 18PP would be a slight improvement over the tiny original in the Magnavox, it is larger anyway, But I have never tried it. They sure seem pretty solid in guitar amps, nice firm bottem end.

Trout

Trout said:

If Memory serves, Matt at MPS is making or has a new bigger transformer in the works right now.

I would think that the 18PP would be a slight improvement over the tiny original in the Magnavox, it is larger anyway, But I have never tried it. They sure seem pretty solid in guitar amps, nice firm bottem end.

Trout

Thanks for the input. That's great news about MPS expanding it's product line. The transformers look well built and are very affordable.

I'm using this little maggie amp to drive a pair of Aztec Glaughlin III's and the puny transformers are really lacking in the low end. I really love that 6v6 sound, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.