Favourite Curry / Spicy food recipes

Amchar masala, a corruption of Achar Masala, or pickle powder:

Found on the net.

Probably the same I found on the interwebs.

Was quite handy because I had all the ingredients in my cupboard anyway.

Not sure what I'll do when they run out of bottled Green Seasoning because I have never seen culantro/shado beni for sale here.

Since I want to make Trinidadian curry duck I think I'll stick to Trinidadian curry powder which by the way is quite different to the Jamaican version.

Last edited:
With a nod to the holidays, I'm making a turkey biryani using thigh meat. The meat is marinating right now in the fridge with a mixture of the big 5(red pepper, black pepper, turmeric, cumin, and coriander), fenugreek leaf, lime juice, yogurt, and a dollop of avocado oil. I also mixed in some fresh ginger/garlic/green chili paste. I used Serrano chilis, which is my usual custom. As per usual, I forgot the salt (I spent >40 years cooking without it, so it takes an effort to remember to include it). I'll add that when I'm cooking down the marinade into the masala.

Cooking Indian food is a hobby of mine, and I learned the moves by watching Youtube videos and discussion with my Indian colleagues at work. Strangely, the first Youtube Indian cooking video I encountered was for turkey biryani, starting with a very apprehensive looking turkey, and ending with a feast. The biryani was done outdoors over a wood fire using a pressure cooker. If you're curious, it was Rangers Cooking Channel, and it's one of the first mentions that pop up searching for turkey biryani on Youtube.

That would be a generic gravy.
We have nearly 400 districts (counties, more or less), and each has a distinct cuisine.
Just see the variety of pickles in India...my father had pickled lion meat once. Vegetables, chillies, fruits, fish, prawns...mind boggling.

And it seems that the Bangladeshi people make it mostly in Britain..
Would you trust a Russian to make a Yorkshire Pudding in Mexico?
The cooks are in a place where the ingredients may not available, especially fresh green vegetables and herbs, so have to make do with what is available.

They are different from the real thing, the locals don't know they are being palmed off, and are pleasantly drunk at times, so their senses are dulled.

Turkeys and Emus are rare in India, so turkey biryani is another evolved dish. But if you like it. and can cook it to your taste, go ahead, have fun.

Biryani came from the Middle East and Central Asia, and there are variants even in Spain, Paella it is called IIRC.
Paella - Wikipedia

It seems it is a precursor to Louisiana's Jambalaya...

And if everybody is happy, who am I to comment?

Last edited:
Big Smile...

You want historic grade authentic food?
Most of the plants are extinct.
And there are like I said 400 types of food extant in India, so the question becomes that even if I do make it with pre historic species organically grown ingredients, and use Ghee, the average British / Australian / New Zealand person would not know the difference.

We have influences from Central Asia, Europe, North America, China, East Asia, Dravidian tribes, the original ethnic tribes, (the prehistoric settlers).

By your view, I should insist that North American food can be only what the Red Indians ate, and those tribes were scattered across North America, and ate local produce, or wild animals.
Find me a Texas tribes man who ate plants grown in Carolina in about 1600...
Same goes in your part of the world, should I say that Aborigine and Maori food is authentic, and all the migrants over the centuries are interlopers, their food is a mishmash?

Like a farmer in a James Herriot book, when being offered a cigarette, said "like giving a pig a strawberry" (he was a pipe smoker)...for him a cigarette was tasteless.

Kids in America were given frozen orange juice in schools, when given freshly squeezed juice, they complained it was off. The frozen juice is standardized (sweetened, controlled flavor), and the freezing destroys the fruit fibers. The children were used to it, getting a less sweet, more thick version threw them off, as it were.

Anyway the Portuguese came centuries back, and may have taken some of our influences back there.

Last edited:
Quotes from the article:
"Elaborate as it was, the meal only incorporated a very small slice of India’s food diversity. Two thousand-year-old texts, like the Indian medicinal tome Charaka-samhita, have described a bewildering variety of oils, fruits, local grains, vegetables and animal products – many of which continue to be used in the country."

And:
"Srivasatava said that religious rituals like the shraadha meal are helping to maintain true Indian cuisine. “Home is the only place where food traditions are really preserved,” she said. While Indian food served at many restaurants rarely resembles what people eat at home, most home kitchens in India retain several traditional recipes passed down for generations. Even with newer ingredients, they maintain a balance of older spices, and reflect the nuances of their family’s traditional culinary subculture."

Like I said, "Indian" cuisine is itself a misleading term, if you go deeper.

Last edited:
Very cute thread, i will stick on it!

Here we have just one 2 Restaurants serving so called Indian food, both have cooks from Bangla, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

I like the taste they present to me, but no idea if it is real.

I own an Indian Cook Book with 1000 recipes, but most ingredients hard to get here.
And still no idea abouth the real taste ;)

We have also an asian shop , selling take away, she (Cook) is from Burma, he( Trader) is Indian, she cooks very well for my taste.

And now my simply question : How to make a simple good Daal ( color yellow, but i assume red lentilles). I love that stuff , but i am unable to get it tasty and the consistence is the other problem.
I tried several recipes recommended by Internet(Chefkoch or similar) , but no chance against the burmese take away stuff, but she will not tell me how to do it.

Groove-T

Urad, Moong, Chana, Toor Daal are all yellow!
Wash and soak the daal for two hours, throw away the water, add salt and turmeric - turmeric is optional - add fresh water, about twice the volume of the soaked daal, pressure cook for ten minutes (after first whistle).

This is for moong and toor daal, the most commonly served with rice. Urad and chana are thicker, may have with roti or rice.
Excess water will make it thin, less water will make it lumpy.
Some people use a stick blender to make it smooth, in the cooker itself...

Chana daal will take maybe fifteen minutes, Urad up to 20.
The garnish, simplest is cumin added to hot oil in a small thick serving spoon, take off flame once the cumin crackles. Add chillies and other spices to taste, then stir it into the daal. Finished.
Curry leaves, different curry powders and so on are the next steps.
Just stay on low heat, and slow cooking.
Enjoy...

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Wimpy, low spice Yankee recipe:
Code:
Yellow Dal - Indian lentil stew - PRESSURE COOKER

INGREDIENTS

2 cups yellow moong dal, dried, split, and skinned
1 medium red onion
1 medium tomato
1 piece fresh ginger - (abt 1"), peeled, minced
3 cloves garlic clove, minced
4 Serrano peppers or Thai green chile peppers
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1.5 tsp salt
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp Indian "red chilli" powder
8 cups water
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro coarsely chopped

PROCEDURE

1. Peel and finely chop the onion.
2. Peel, grate, and finely chop the ginger.
3. Smash, peel, and mince the garlic
4. Remove stem ends of peppers.  Slice peppers into very thin rounds.
5. Dice the tomato
6. In a very large and deep bowl, sort, clean, and then wash the moong dal split peas
in at least 4 changes of water.  Add enough water to cover the dal by one inch, soak
for a while (more than 15 minutes).
7. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in the pressure cooker vessel.  When hot, add
onions + peppers and sautee them.  Add garlic and sautee briefly.  Add ginger
and sautee very briefly.  Add cumin seeds, salt, turmeric, Indian "chilli" powder
(with two Ls).
8. Toss in tomatoes and and heat through.
9. Add 8 Cups of water to the pressure cooker.  Drain the soaked moong dal
split peas and add them to the pressure cooker.  NOTE: it's better to have too
much water than too little.  If there's too much you can drain away the excess
water floating on top when you remove the lid.
10. Stir everything very thoroughly, attach the pressure cooker lid, and
heat on high.
11. When cooker reaches full pressure, turn down the heat to maintain full
pressure but not high velocity escape steam.  Cook at full pressure for 11 min.
12. Turn off the heat but don't release the pressure.  Let the pressure cooker
cool down slowly.
13. When pressure has released, remove lid and use a ladle to remove some
of the thin watery liquid that has risen to the top of the slow cooker, leaving
the yellow dense mass of lentils at the bottom.  Discard this thin liquid.
14. Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro

_

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The absolute hottest thing I ever (partially) ate was a Thai curry in a restaurant at Ebisu Garden Place in Tokyo (not the one below the bar at American Bashi if you've ever been there, but one under the actual tower block across the road).

My lips and mouth were still burning two days later. Needless to say, we never went back.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Mark. That looks very similar to the Daal my wife makes. We always do two batches though, one for us and one for the kids.

Mind you no two Daals are the same as she mixes up the lentils.

I am very fond of a variant of Mung Daal where you soak whole mung beans then germinate them for 24/48 hours and then cook up.Confusingly 'Mung Daal' refers to the split dried mung beans so not sure what the whole bean Daal should be called. I am lead to believe variants of this are a staple in many regions, but I just know it tastes great.

The absolute hottest thing I ever (partially) ate was a Thai curry...

The hottest dish I've ever eaten was too in a Thai restaurant.
A starter that was advertised as being made with minced chicken and herbs.

When it arrived it turned out to be half chicken mince and half minced Bird's Eye chilies! Tasted quite good actually but the heat was brutal!

As for chefs you should never be prejudiced.
There is a small Chinese restaurant here and the clientele is effectively 100% Chinese. It is always full and whenever I go there I am usually the only non-chinese customer in there yet the cook is an overweight British guy who practically always has a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth.
There are a fair number of other chinese restaurants only meters away but they have practically no Chinese customers.

It is suicidal madness to roll into a Thai restaurant and ask for it hot. Having said that, I've seen seen punters on Youtube add chilli powder practically by the trowel full. I have no idea whether what was being added was the hot stuff or the Kashmiri variety, which is rather mild and a bit smoky - good for the color.

Following this thread....

Being English my tastes move towards 'British Indian Restaurant' style food,(it's what I grew up on) but always looking for good spicy recipes..

Here's a pic of my favourite ingredients at the moment :hot:

Rob.

Attachments

• 20211130_223435.jpg
    20211130_223435.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 129