Bile Duct Amplifiers

Here are some interesting Jensen Transformers for display.
The old JE 123-A on the top are line output high signal level steel lamination core transformers. Loved by people in music production for their added colouration of the sound. Long out of production.
1002160d1638487114t-bile-duct-amplifiers-jens1-jpg

That's very interesting. Thanks.

Here is a shot of a couple of tube amp mono blocks that I built with Hammond steel chassis back around 2001. The smaller iron on the chassis are Hammond power supply transformers and chokes. The large ones are a different brand of output transformers.

I had all of the transformer and choke end bells powder coated and the chassis chrome plated. It's a good example of how nice the transformers can look with a powder coat finish. Making holes in steel chassis was very difficult. The shop that agreed to chrome plate them after I had punched the holes told me they would never do that again. Apparently it was very hard to polish out with the tube socket holes. I'll never do a chrome plate chassis again either. It seemed like a good idea at the time though.

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 145
There should be a sticky attempting to translate some of those descriptions, as a large amount of our precious gear comes from the Far East.

I just saw this earlier, am really wondering just what is trying to be conveyed…

Attachments

• 94EEBDF1-0B69-40D2-9DA5-68157D420F97.jpeg
    94EEBDF1-0B69-40D2-9DA5-68157D420F97.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 94
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Descriptions:
1. 6J1 fever gall bladder before the board is imitation machine music fax X-10D circuit principle design, to be a reasonable optimization, more stable than the original machine performance, the tube to play increased by 10 percent.
2. This machine uses a single 12V AC input, do not have to worry about looking for high voltage power supply The board comes with a boost you enjoy the low power supply to enjoy the charm of high-voltage tube.
3. Coupling capacitor using Taiwan FARAD electrode without charge MET series, high-frequency low-resistance electrolytic capacitors, 1% precision metal film resistors, J-class regulations tube 6J1.

Power works:
A power supply, tube filament began to heat, then boost from the zero voltage began to boost, and other tube filament hot, the boost is just boost finished, so this is the same with the gall bladder rectifier, 8 470UF the capacitor filter is very clean, excellent power supply system will not have the exchange of sound.
The filament is DC 12V power supply, the need for two tube filament is in series, the use of DC filament is also to reduce noise.

Attachments

• $_10 (1).jpg
    $_10 (1).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 82
There should be a sticky attempting to translate some of those descriptions, as a large amount of our precious gear comes from the Far East.

I just saw this earlier, am really wondering just what is trying to be conveyed…

Language is cultural. Chinese translated directly to English is often absurd.

I remember a translated description of a tone control circuit: "Please sir adjust the flavor of the timbre to suit your prejudice thank you" Absolute nonsense. What were they really trying to say? Turn the bass up a little? I know there's people in China that know how to speak English correctly so why don't they hire them to write product descriptions for Western markets?

Even English as spoken in other countries can lead to misunderstandings. In Jamaica, people kept referring to me as a "Native American" NO NO NO. I am NOT a Native American. My ancestors have only been here 150 years. My ancestory doesn't even go back to the Mayflower.

I remember a translated description of a tone control circuit: "Please sir adjust the flavor of the timbre to suit your prejudice thank you" Absolute nonsense. What were they really trying to say? Turn the bass up a little? I know there's people in China that know how to speak English correctly so why don't they hire them to write product descriptions for Western markets?
Because they can hire IDIOTS for less money. Same as in the US.

This is by far the best I've seen :ROFLMAO: :

Note:
  • bile is glass, beware of collision, the gallbladder machine with relatively high temperature, generally do not use hand to touch the bulb, for the same reason
  • power supply is relatively high, the measurement time do not direct contact by hand pressure. Although the current is very small, not what is dangerous, but direct contact or a little tenderness

Reactions: 1 user
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My informed sources indicate that the designer of the Jensen transformers is the guy behind Cinemag. My own analysis is that Cinemag is slightly preferred on quality and price, not to mention availability. Not to knock on Jensen - the big difference at this time seems to be availability.

Right, Dean Jensen founded the company and was the designer of both transformers and the classic JE-990 discrete opamp. Brilliant man, RIP.

(I doubt he was involved with Cinemag but I don't know for sure)

Attachments

• Jensen_JE-990_opamp_JAES_reprint_1980.pdf
    807.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did think there was some crosstalk of Jensen and Cinemag. Consulting? Shared blueprints? IP?

Cinemag goes way back to the birth of Altec, and Ed Reichenbach. Tom Reichenbach has wound a lot of transformers and there are "Jensen Transformers by Reichenbach Engineering" jackets and price-list back to the 1980s.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used a lot of transformers for DAC output and it's my favorite output stage. Edcor, Jensen, Cinemag, Onetics, Sowter, Altec and some custom builds. All good, the Onetics and Cinemag are my favs. Never thought to try Triad!