The High End

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Do these people have any idea how ridiculous they sound? For crying in a bucket, it’s a turntable.

Attachments

• E93637B1-90AB-4F81-9D04-EAD3D9236BFE.jpeg
    E93637B1-90AB-4F81-9D04-EAD3D9236BFE.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 502
Account Closed
Joined 2018
The rediculousness of design regarding turntables is partly driven by superficiality - visuals.
And partly, as are famous pantings, by value. - make it expensive, and people will fight over it.
A simple thing like playing a record (yes, it can be a simple affair) is taken to such extremes in hopes of making someone rich.. as in greed-driven, which by my observations is no different than an eccentric person's behavior.
It's a sickness in some ways.
In other ways, like oil paintings, it's an expression of art. - also an attraction to entice ownership.

The rediculousness of design regarding turntables is partly driven by superficiality - visuals.
And partly, as are famous pantings, by value. - make it expensive, and people will fight over it.
A simple thing like playing a record (yes, it can be a simple affair) is taken to such extremes in hopes of making someone rich.. as in greed-driven, which by my observations is no different than an eccentric person's behavior.
It's a sickness in some ways.
In other ways, like oil paintings, it's an expression of art. - also an attraction to entice ownership.

nice statement.

Only difference to art:
A real artist is creating his/her art by creativity and inspiration (at least it should be like this).
This make-it-expensive-and-some-rich-fool-will-buy-it articles and only created for commercial reasons.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I bought a pair of Dali Oberon 5’s for the living room about a month ago. They cost me £749 and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Fabulous imaging and great bass extension with a very smooth, sweet top end. I got mine in white.

(I understand it was just designed by a bunch of Danish guys who are good at their craft. No need for ‘assembling an international team of physicists and engineers . . . Etc ;) )

Attachments

• 74430109-5930-46DA-8BB8-49DD791BA6BD.jpeg
    74430109-5930-46DA-8BB8-49DD791BA6BD.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Not sure about that, they did make the "Deathstar" HDD's once upon a time...

Deskstar - Wikipedia

I once had a lousy hard drive in my desktop PC.
Now mind you, I'm careful of using it to eliminate its being bumped, etc.
That hard drive was a Samsung-branded unit which one day started clicking and refusing to load Windows 98SE.
As to another thread about Samsung products, I, along with others, have always found some sort of problem with that brand.

For reliability, I stick to Western Digital.
My home security DVR/camera system uses the WD "Purple" HD, which has been running flawlessly 24/7 for the past 5 years now.

Toshiba AV series (surveillance, DVR, CCTV grade)...Actually they are a Hitachi design, there were some anti trust issues, the product went to Toshiba.
Some are said to be favored by data farms, and server sites because of their low failure rates.

Reputedly better than WD.
Just my opinion.
A practical suggestion: keep the computer connected to Earth all the time, and keep checking the quality of the earthing, and also the power supply capacitors.
Those affect the life of the HDD a lot...

That scaffolding like tone arm in the first post will twist more than a round tube I think.
That thing happens when academics with little practical experience do things as a committee.

Nice clock, WOT!

Last edited: