I hate youtube audio videos

Recently I watched a video or I should say 15 or so parts of someone that clearly had no mechanical aptitude trying to show their expertise in the construction of a cheap ebay knock off amplifier. To make matters worse the video maker purchased "Boutique" parts in an attempt to make something that was clearly inferior into something somewhat usable and claiming they could clearly hear the difference in the performance over run of the mill ordinary parts.

I'm a firm believer in a saying " You can polish a turn and it will still be a turd."
I cringed when I watched the person use a vernier caliper's jaw to scribe a line on a hideous rectangular shaped chassis that might have been suitable sitting on the lower unseen shelf in ones garage.

Its clear in my mind the extremes one would go to obtain some type of following and lets not forget that youtube check.

I've seen a few of those, with titles like "500 watts from 2 transistors" or something like that. The circuits are like the circuits I experimented with when I was 10 years old and didn't know anything.

But, these are grown adults that are promoting what wouldn't cut it as a Wikipedia circuit as a complete design.

Sometimes the creator of these videos actually believe that they have something useful.

Sometimes they have an ulterior motive like something to sell. We have seen a few of these people here, often linking their own Youtube videos.

Then there are the obvious scams like the free energy devices or the weight loss and muscle building programs that you have to pay for.

I have made 5 Youtube videos in nearly 10 years. At this rate I could make money from Youtube about 10 years after I die, maybe.

One of my Youtube videos does feature a DIY audio amp, and another features a DIY music synthesizer. Neither are worthy of hate but neither are worthy of acclaim either. Both were spur of the moment ideas shot with a cheap camera or a cell phone as were all of my videos.

What gets me is that even though I'm a Youtube nobody, Google has seen fit to stick adverts in my videos without giving me a cent since I don't meet the monetization requirements. Why should I make any more vids?

75 watt per channel triode mode tube amp prototype - YouTube

Teensy Synth Breadboard Test - YouTube

Joined 2011
Paid Member
On the other hand, YouTube/Google has hosted your videos on their servers for four years, and indexed them so that search engines (including the YouTube search) can easily find them, and played them back (1488 + 3530)= 5018 times, to people around the world. All of this at no cost to you.

True, as they do for millions of other people. Even without ads Google has collected tons of marketable data on me over the 10+ years that I have used their search engine, YouTube, Gmail, and Android phones. I'm sure that they have far more data on me stored on their servers than 5 second rate videos. Much of it is visible on your Google Dashboard. There I can see several thousand Google searches, for several unrelated categories. Most popular are electronics parts searches and classic rock music. Every Youtube video you ever watched is listed too.

Google can and does track your location and send targeted ads to your phone, but they obviously don't have everything perfectly tuned. Nearly every time I drive by a certain Mercedes Benz dealership south of Pittsburgh I get a pop up Benz ad on my Android phone, but not my iPhone. Lets just say that my lifetime of vehicle purchases all come from the opposite end of the price spectrum from anything sold in that dealership.

I'm not complaining, but none of my videos will ever be found by the Youtube Algorithm, or be featured in any of their categories since they by nature target a small audience. I could see some sense if they placed a Digikey or other technical ad, but generic crap ads probably serve no purpose other than boosting the "viewed" numbers for the advertisers and annoying potential viewers.

I probably will make more videos, and maybe even use some better equipment but doing so is not high on my priority list. I have tons of good photos, videos, and time lapse sequences from several road trips on my PC, but lack the motivation to put them into a Youtube vid.

Sometimes the creator of these videos actually believe that they have something useful.

Sometimes they have an ulterior motive like something to sell. We have seen a few of these people here, often linking their own Youtube videos.

Then there are the obvious scams like the free energy devices or the weight loss and muscle building programs that you have to pay for.

I have made 5 Youtube videos in nearly 10 years. At this rate I could make money from Youtube about 10 years after I die, maybe.

One of my Youtube videos does feature a DIY audio amp, and another features a DIY music synthesizer. Neither are worthy of hate but neither are worthy of acclaim either. Both were spur of the moment ideas shot with a cheap camera or a cell phone as were all of my videos.

What gets me is that even though I'm a Youtube nobody, Google has seen fit to stick adverts in my videos without giving me a cent since I don't meet the monetization requirements. Why should I make any more vids?

75 watt per channel triode mode tube amp prototype - YouTube

Teensy Synth Breadboard Test - YouTube

There are people like yourself that provide very useful information on circuit design and implementation. Like I mentioned there are others that seem to provide useless garbage that unfortunately has a less than beneficial effect.

I posted a short automated powder measure video with a total of about 9 hits years ago. It was to show others that one could for a few dollars adapt a powder scale, a powder trickler and a few dollars worth of relays into something a person that reloads their own ammunition could make that would work as well as a $300 store bought unit. Not many people watched but a few did ask about the circuit and did copy it.

Getting back to the audio theme again there is so much information from the uneducated that are trying to be credible that is dumbfounds me. Two or three transistor amplifiers claiming to put out 1300 watts off a 9 volt battery for example.

Sure, I guess we all have the right to post videos. I just wish people didn't try to BS someone for sake of making a few thousand off a video. Providing useful information should be what its all about in my twisted mindset.

All one needs to see is the crud flowing forth from the mainstream media on TV. Monkey see....monkey do.

The audio electronics industry in general is full of BS, but it pales compared to the weight loss / health food industry.

Home reloading is a very small market. Your video will never be seen by the Youtube algorithm that seems to be tuned in on the video game, van-life, travel, or outrageous act of stupidity videos.

Now TikTok has come along and quickly become the Twitter of the video world causing Google to panic and create YouTube Shorts. Much of the current YouTube Short catalog was transplanted directly from TikTok by the original creators. I guess that Google needs to tweak the constantly changing algorithm a bit further. This further shortens the already limited attention span of today's youth.

I've seen a few of those, with titles like "500 watts from 2 transistors" or something like that. The circuits are like the circuits I experimented with when I was 10 years old and didn't know anything.

But, these are grown adults that are promoting what wouldn't cut it as a Wikipedia circuit as a complete design.
Oh, THOSE!! :rolleyes:

Sure, what can you do with just TWO transistors?

Now this designer uses a real chipamp, with certainly dozens of transistors inside, to make a 1600W PMPO amp.

Admittedly 15+15W RMS rated but that´s not the point.

If you are brave enough, watch it, but I warn you that some stuff is hard to unsee afterwards.

DIY Powerful Ultra Bass Amplifier TDA7297

DIY Powerful Ultra Bass Amplifier TDA7297, Simple circuit diagram - YouTube

Hey .... I WARNED you!!!!!
Don´t complain :p

All of the high end hi fi on you tube sounds no better than my lap top, can't figure out why...

The folks in Japan who rebuild & restore the old JBL monitors usually have high quality recordings on Youtube of their latest projects...they spent some real monies on cameras & sound recordings.

KENRICK SOUND

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Doesn't matter how much YouTube you watch.. stuff still goes bang.

I find the YT goes into a few phases:
1. Overload - unable to see through the crap
2. Learning the basics - becoming at least aware or understand the general principles
3. Learning the advanced - you find yourself seeking specifics, which typically end up in manufacturer style presentations about specific subjects.
4. Boredom - being able to see the rest of the 90% is actually crap.

Most of the YT content makers moved away because google destroyed their business model then wonder why it's failing. Simple answer is they did it to themselves - they need content which they make money from but don't want to pay for t he content to be created (personal or professional). You will then open yourself up to disruption given there's no reason to stay with your platform when the money is coming through patreon etc.

Personally I think it's time for the google exec responsible to be retired or fired unless they simply don't want YT at which point you may as well simply cull it now. People follow the money.. and without that there's no reason for people to return to YT.

In the continuing audio saga I have been following yet another chapter on the installation of RCA jacks. I especially love how the video maker uses a vernier again as a scribe on a chassis as a means to make a line. Wouldn't it be great if people understood the proper way would be to measure and transfer that measurement to a tri square or combination square and scribe a line on the chassis?

I also love the usage of a 1/2" drill bit instead of a step drill. Don't forget to ream the hell out of the holes when the parts don't fit instead of buying the correct and probably in this case either a metric drill bit or number drill. No wonder it takes me an extra 5 minutes when I set up the mill and drill my holes and end up with things in alignment.

I don't know if I can continue to watch but then I keep going back watching with disgust and shame knowing this person is influencing others to copy the improper way being shown in the video.

I understand your feelings.
On one side my blood boils at the damage made to well intentioned noobs (this includes some silly threads here in DIY Audio :rolleyes: ) ; on the other side I can´t solve the World´s problems, barely handle my own, and after all, Darwinism rules like on the last 500 Million years.
In a way, shame on the lazy ones who instead of properly studying rely on "YouTube University" for easy solutions.

I understand your feelings.
On one side my blood boils at the damage made to well intentioned noobs (this includes some silly threads here in DIY Audio :rolleyes: ) ; on the other side I can´t solve the World´s problems, barely handle my own, and after all, Darwinism rules like on the last 500 Million years.
In a way, shame on the lazy ones who instead of properly studying rely on "YouTube University" for easy solutions.

I remember interviewing a candidate that had more study rosettes and stamps than a thermometer.. yet the candidate couldn't answer the simplest question about threading concurrency.. back in my day I spent 3 years putting English into set theory including value passing concurrency and formally proving it in mathematics into ADA. Although good - I have never used it.. not even the US military waste money on that level of formality that now..

As to tubes.. the fun and enjoyment is the challenge ;)

God, it must be great to be all knowing, and all skilled in the field and to be able to look with disdain on those who are trying and who are encouraging others to have a go while trying to work with common tools/making do with what you have :rolleyes:

Lighten up, move to a different channel. If you hate it, why would you continue to watch it.

Something as simple as a sharpened nail is a common tool is to be used to trace lines on metal; using a *precision* tool such as an vernier/caliper for that is gross and to boot throws it out of alignment making it untrusty (a.k.a. useless).

Those are NOT encouraging others to have a go but making them damage expensive precision tools.

By the way, ignoring it won´t make it dissappear or stop giving BAD advice to beginners; proper is to add a comment below stating: "hey! bad advice! the proper way is ***** "