Soldering wire to aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im doing a foglight project on my car and I am using the original foglight bulbs with the bulbs cut off as connectors. I tried to solder with regular solder but it didnt stick at all, so I'm assuming that its aluminum. How can I solder to aluminum to regular wire? Is it just aluminum solder?

Well, check if it is aluminium. Ally is soft and consistent colour below the furface. Possibly it's not ally, but just some kind of plating that's stopping you. Filing through the plating usually works.
If you are soldering onto an automotive bulb, you might consider the temperature the thing will reach. I think some may melt solder on their contacts.

Normal solder does not work on aluminium because the aluminium creates an oxide layer immediately. Special aluminium solders require special preparation and higher temperatures, and most likely won't result in a good electrical joint.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.