Bill Gates - CTRL - ALT - DEL

There's even an Alan Alda movie on this (1978). Same Time, Next Year (1978) - IMDb
Which of course was an adaptation of a play. I happily attended it with my parents as a teen believe it or not. When there was course language my Mother and I tried to cover each others ears. Especially one particular meeting when there a thing called free love and the girl walked in and asked a rather forward question about intimacy. Oh those were the days weren't they?

But I digress. Thanks Scott, you got me wandering again. :)

Most know about the Apple II, released in 1977. I owned one with two floppy drives, which
tended to (and did) burst into flames. That machine did not run MS-DOS, it ran Apple DOS and Basic.
I ran VisiCalc and WordStar on it.

The Apple Lisa, with a Xerox Star-like operating system, was released in 1983. I didn't buy that one.
The original Macintosh was released in 1984, but I didn't buy that one either.

I think we got our Apple II+ around 1980 -- one floppy. We also a modem, 1200 baud, and did on-line bill paying with an account at Chemical Bank

Early on the father of a girl I knew from grade school did a deal for distributing Apple computers in schools here in Ohio.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Remember Zeos World under dos? It gave me my first taste of really non-concurrent multi-tasking. :D

I had a sol terminal computer that ran cp/m and had bank switched ram (128K in two banks of 64K) it was an anachronism when I had it - given to me by a friend. Had two 8 inch floppy drives.. Ran an 8080 MCU on S-100 bus IIRC, I restored it and a couple of years later he needed a machine that could run lisp and apparently the sol could so I gave it back to him..

Anyone remember DR DOS?

We had several computers at work running it in the early 80s. We ran microshaft programs on it until we started seeing releases of the uS programs that crashed on it. We surmised that uS had figured out that DR DOS was a threat and started detecting it and intentionally crashed the programs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes I ran a version of DR Dos for a short while in the very late 1980s and started to notice the same thing. I was mostly running shareware in those days, I didn't have any MS software until I switched to windows for workgroups which supported things like ethernet (token ring and 10bt)

How about Trumpet Winsock? My first portal to the internet via a small local ISP in about 1993 - 94. A far cry from the 800mb/s I now enjoy. Last night I downloaded a recording in DXD format (3.6GB) in just a couple of minutes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried OS2 Warp (had a friend in IT who gave me a legal copy) but this was in the same time frame as win95 arrived. The last version Win95 SP3 supported USB and cdroms which was an eye opener for me. Then win 98... I ran XP for a long time - went to Linux and came back for win7. Run win10 pro on several machines at home - works well for me, narry a problem.. (almost.. lol) I'm mostly an appliance operator these days...

I have W10 and dislike much of it. Have setup my firewall to stop it calling home or receiving calls from home to keep it stable - means I have to trust my antivirus s/w and my own common sense (if I have any left). Was really surprised at my own surprise when I discovered the vast number of different web sites that it tries to exchange information with.

Anyone remember DR DOS?
We had several computers at work running it in the early 80s. We ran microshaft programs on it
until we started seeing releases of the uS programs that crashed on it. We surmised that uS had figured
out that DR DOS was a threat and started detecting it and intentionally crashed the programs.

Wouldn't be surprised, MS sabotaged the Apple III with their browser, which caused constant crashing,
even when it wasn't running. Woz finally figured out the problem, but the IIIs were already headed
for the landfill.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-08_13-39-24.jpg
    photo_2021-05-08_13-39-24.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 455
And? Most people think he's spending his foundation money to help the poor, but thats looking like a cover to push his own agenda, so it will take people a lot longer to catch on and by then he hopes it will be to late to stop him.

I don't care who's money he's using to try and monopolize agriculture (world wide) its wrong.