Bill Gates - CTRL - ALT - DEL

ferret - WP, QuattroPro and Autosketch (“now works with Win3.1 and ‘98 ;)” ) played so nice together, and I must have used them for at least 5years in the early ‘90s before being forced to upgrade.
Trying to migrate a small catalog of office furniture our company was still building at the time to the Microsoft Office* suite was a joy I’m glad I only had to endure the once.

With the combination of aging production equipment, AutoCAD and industry specific software, our woodworking business was at one time running 10PCs on everything from ‘98 to Win10 in a rather cantankerous environment.

*other than that issue, the integrated suite wasn’t particularly painful.

The most annoying "feature" in Win 10 is randomly losing focus on the current window. From time to time, while busy typing something in a window (be it Notepad, Word, and email or an URL in the browser), Win decides to move the focus to the background, so you find yourself typing on the walls. The only workaround I found was to always maximize the current window, which of course is an annoyance in itself.

Last edited:
The uk government forced standardization of the railways, others ensured driving rules and signs became unifies across Europe, clocks were synchronized, global mobile phone protocols agreed to, etc. It’s time perhaps that a standardized approach to OS be established so that everyone around the globe can work with interchangeable tools instead of the mess, waste and inefficiency we have to put up with.

But, TBH, I always thought Windows sucks.

What is frustrating with Windows is you just get used to where everything is and then they go and change it !
As a developer I get new windows early and have Win 11 on my pc and they have changed things around again !

I have used pc's since 1985 and always found them slow and complicated.
Its only with my last hardware upgrade I found my pc is now acceptable speed wise. Probably a good thing because most processor upgrades now are more cores.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Unfortunately... but as long as they work together, yes?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-06-25 16-25-22.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-25 16-25-22.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 128
What is frustrating with Windows is you just get used to where everything is and then they go and change it !
As a developer I get new windows early and have Win 11 on my pc and they have changed things around again !

I have used pc's since 1985 and always found them slow and complicated.
Its only with my last hardware upgrade I found my pc is now acceptable speed wise. Probably a good thing because most processor upgrades now are more cores.

OS’s are like DNA, bloated with evolutionary junk.
It’s a racket, you buy a computer and it’s fast, then they patch all the gaping holes in the OS until it’s as slow as a slug so you buy a new computer which requires a new version OS and off it goes again!

Unfortunately... but as long as they work together, yes?

I write a lot of software and most of it doesnt benefit from multiple cores.
I find the same using Node JS for ecommerce websites, some things must happen first and I have to await them. Like getting data from a database. Sort of loses the benefit of concurrency.

Of course some things do work better with multiple cores.