Bill Gates - CTRL - ALT - DEL

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Land Report 100 Largest Landowners In The U.S. | The Land Report

Bill Gates: America’s Top Farmland Owner | The Land Report

Largest private farmland owner, and there are a number of corporate entities that own substantially more. You'll find that information in the Land Report.

There are roughly 896 million acres of agricultural land in the United States.

Last time I checked it was not illegal for private individuals to purchase agricultural or other land in the U.S.

Their holdings are about 0.027% of the total and not all of it is agricultural land so it may be even a bit less than this.

WtF is Gates up to now. He owns more US farmland than anybody else.
Now that he's f**ed up computers with his 20 year monopoly he's going to do the same with food! And the prick is using money from his foundation to accomplish this.

Pretty complex question. In parts of California famous for growing almonds huge swaths are owned by wealthy refugees from Iran, Syria and Lebanon!

Drive through upstate NY and millions of acres lie fallow...

We grow corn to fuel biodiesel and gasoline additives -- a massive economic waste to anyone who has studied chemistry and physics, but wins votes in Iowa.

Largest private farmland owner, and there are a number of corporate entities that own substantially more. You'll find that information in the Land Report.

Last time I checked it was not illegal for private individuals to purchase agricultural or other land in the U.S.

What's worse, private individuals owning farm land, or large corporations who's sole purpose is profit for their shareholders?

jeff

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gates has a long standing strong interest in sustainable agriculture, and in plant based meat alternatives. (I do too actually, but my wife and I eat the stuff) I don't think this is a bad thing on a planet that still struggles to feed itself.

If you've worked or lived near a large chicken, turkey or pig farm it's a pretty nasty business with a huge and undesirable impact on the local environment.

I do still eat some meat, but a great deal less than I did a decade ago, and my cholesterol levels have dropped more than 60 pts since that time. Not sure what that actually buys me, but it can't hurt..

Joined 2011
We grow corn to fuel biodiesel and gasoline additives -- a massive economic waste to anyone
who has studied chemistry and physics, but wins votes in Iowa.

Those who put ethanol-tainted fuel in their vehicles are rewarded with poorer mileage and a rougher running engine.
In my Corolla I get 10% better mileage with 100% (87 octane) gas, and it runs noticeably more smoothly,
more like when you put in high octane gas. The fuel cost is about the same per mile either way, so it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What's worse, private individuals owning farm land, or large corporations who's sole purpose is profit for their shareholders?

jeff

I have no answer and don't loose any sleep over it, I do loose sleep over much more immediate concerns, (I am a pragmatist)

I am concerned about ethics but there is no reason to believe that a private individual is more or less ethical than a corporate entity. The most ethical organization I have worked for also happens to be one of the largest companies I have ever worked for, conversely the worst was a small, well funded medical startup I am still not allowed to talk about. One sole proprietorship I worked for comes in pretty close to the bottom of the ethics barrel as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those who put ethanol-tainted fuel in their vehicles are rewarded with poorer mileage and a rougher running engine.
In my Corolla I get 10% better mileage with 100% (87 octane) gas, and it runs noticeably more smoothly,
more like when you put in high octane gas. The fuel cost is about the same either way, so it's a no-brainer.

Can't get anything around here at the pump without ethanol in it except racing gas at about $10 a gallon. Not sure about marine gas in this neck of the woods as I don't own a boat.

I had a similar observation when they switched here in the early 2000s - about a 5% drop in fuel efficiency. (Acura RSX Type S) Performance was not affected in any discernible way, it was still very quick and I drove it to full advantage when possible.

Joined 2011
I get my untainted Cenex gas at the farmers coop store.

When I had an Accord, a one-time tank of 93+ octane gas made that thing really fly.
Too expensive for just around town, though. Going back to 87 octane was a real bummer.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have an MB E350 Fourmatic Sport which doesn't run at all well on regular, being designed to run on 93/94 octane fuel. In a pinch it will run on lower octane fuel but with a rather stark reduction in both performance and fuel efficiency - enough that there is no incentive at all to go with lower octane fuel. (Unless there is nothing else and then you make do with what you can get.)

The Acura was more extreme, fill it with regular and it rev limited at about 3500rpm, normal redline was right at 8000rpm and fuel cut off at 8400rpm. :D:D That was about as jeckyl and hyde as any car I have ever owned.

The current car is actually significantly quicker than the Acura was, my wife quite enjoys it, erm, not really.. :D

I haven't owned a car since 2002 that ran OK on regular unleaded come to think about it. The middle car was a Legacy GT.. Quick and fun, but worst dealers I have had to deal with, with one exception.

Ford Expedition with eco-Turbo's gets the same mileage on 87 as it does on 93! Dodge Magnum w Hemi (gone many years) got 15% MPG boost using higher octane gas, about equal to the price differential, but the engine ran much quieter.

I got stopped frequently with the Hemi as the OEM window treatment inspired police to think it was a drug mule.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
More than 3 decades ago I did a little time traveling in my 5.0L Mustang LX and finally got caught by a state trooper in NH. A substantial fine and I never did it again. On reflection that was quite stupid, that was a seriously fast car even by today's standards and I had explored the outer limits of its performance potential.

I still like fast cars, but I am a lot more cautious these days.. LOL

Some years ago I bought a brand new red 5sp 5.0l ‘stang at the start of a summer. Enjoyed the raw power, raw sound, squeal of the launch, gobs of torque, but in due course I collected a large ticket and realized there was no being sensible in a car like this so I sold it at the end of the summer after just a few months of use - you could say it was an exercise in self-preservation. Now I drive a Corolla.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member

Bill Gates now owns 269,000 acres of farmland as a diversified investment strategy, out of the 911,000,000 acres of farmland in the USA. Yawn.

Now that he's f**ed up computers with his 20 year monopoly he's going to do the same with food! And the prick is using money from his foundation to accomplish this.

I love my MS Windows computers, but my kids like their Chromebooks while my wife likes her Apple desktop and laptop. Wait...I thought he had a monopoly??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I kept mine until it started nickel and diming me to death - a total of seven years. Seemed like everything was disintegrating at once. Clutch cable, headers and cats (Ford paid for headers and cats), unobtainium exhaust system, the stereo, cracked windshield, rear view mirror fell off, most of the switches in the dash board, senders, shifter, and countless other things. Built to order and well cared for.. Was my last Ford.

So it's pretty obvious he's not up to anything other than investing in something that interests him.:rolleyes:

In parts of California famous for growing almonds huge swaths are owned by wealthy refugees from Iran, Syria and Lebanon!

Weren't there a lot of almond orchards cut down because there's no water for them?

Was my last Ford.

Never owned one.:D

jeff

I filled up my truck with 87 octane 10% ethanol today. The only ethanol free gas is 93 here. There was a sticker on the button that said "Out".

I use 93 in my KTM ADV, and my yard tools. The KTM needs to be refilled so I am waiting to find some before I ride much.

I despise the use of food for fuel.

Another stupid government mandate.

Some years ago I bought a brand new red 5sp 5.0l ‘stang at the start of a summer. Enjoyed the raw power, raw sound, squeal of the launch, gobs of torque, but in due course I collected a large ticket and realized there was no being sensible in a car like this so I sold it at the end of the summer after just a few months of use - you could say it was an exercise in self-preservation. Now I drive a Corolla.

I now drive a slow small SUV with a 1.6 litre diesel automatic.

Biker mates that I have ridden pillion and driven Nordschliefe (before it became heavily publicised) have said I don't seem to exhibit any fear even when they are crapping themselves. I've been at NS at the time of fatalities, major accidents helping marshalling etc, even managed a 180 spin on blind corner on the racing line. We used to travel from the UK to Norschleife in a morning (541 miles with an hour or so of channel ferry) - that should give you an idea.
Even a modified a old BWM 325i, changed to a limited slip differential, upgraded breaks and semi slick tires at one point.

I did take the liberty of hiring a 5.0l mustang convertible on Hawaii to tootle around the east side of the island - shocking bad road handling, even at 30mph :)

So it's pretty obvious he's not up to anything other than investing in something that interests him.:rolleye
jeff

Obvious to someone with no knowledge of the situation?

Did you read this?

Gates Ag One: The Recolonisation Of Agriculture - Independent Science News | Food, Health and Agriculture Bioscience News

What about the other half dozen articles with similar concerns.

'Bill Gates is continuing the work of Monsanto', Vandana Shiva tells FRANCE 24 - YouTube

Ignorance is bliss, keep it up.

Wait...I thought he had a monopoly??

For 20 years 95% of PCs ran MS operating systems. Thats a monopoly.

And theres this. "At trial, the district court ruled that Microsoft's actions constituted unlawful monopolization under Section 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit affirmed most of the district court's judgments."

I didn't realize Bill had so many fanboys.