What's the oldest "electronics" book on your bookshelf?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• EEL-42.gif
    EEL-42.gif
    28.5 KB · Views: 125
The building I worked in was next door to McGraw Hill's HQ and they had a wonderful technical/engineering bookstore in the basement. They had everything from text books to the Don Lancaster series, Walt Jung's "Audio IC Op Amp Applications, AES "Loudspeaker Anthology"... Picked up these two Babani books down there, built two of the loudspeakers:

Attachments

• babani1.jpg
    babani1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 105
  • babani2.jpg
    babani2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 101
  • babani3.jpg
    babani3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 105
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
'Intuitive IC OP Amps' (1984) by Thomas M Frederiksen (RIP)

I also have a pdf copy of the Natsemi audio and Radio Applications handbook. I think it was from '75 or '76. AN104 'Noise Specs confusing?' ring a bell? All about noise and how to calculate it in a practical way. Still relevant today.

I have the NS Audio and Radio Applications handbook dated 1980, AN104 in pdf
I still laugh when we both reported a few years ago we had our LM381A(my),387(yours?) phono pre-amps motor-boating. Still working on our grounding theory/app :) This was before NE5532,5533,5534
RCA Silicon POWER Circuits Manual, $2, 1967
Workshop In SOLID STATE Harold E. Ennes 1970
The transistor and Diode Data Book TI, 1973, First Edition 3rd printing

An 1828 edition of Webster’s dictionary, probably worth north of $25,000! Not exactly in good condition.

I did loose a 1936ish Cambridge English dictionary in the 2012 Hurricane Ivan flood. Someone helping to clean up apparently just threw it out. Most notable was the inside fly leaf showing how all modern languages descend from the original “Aryan” language. Unfortunately this rubbish theory from Cambridge caught on with a rather dangerous fellow.

Neither of course are electronics books. My oldest engineering books came from a great uncle. When he would tell a dirty joke he would begin with “This is reputably a story told by Lincoln…”

Last edited:
RCA Cunningham Radio Tube Manual RC-11.....................................Price 25 Cents
Published 1933
Organic Chemistry/Norris.................1932................Saved from Prof Gotlieb's office cleanout as he moved on, 1957.
Has a short description of a promising new refrigerant..........that eventually destroyed the Ozone Layer.
Developed by Thomas Midgley who was also a lead Chemical Engineer in the development & production of Tetra Ethyl Lead.
Under the auspices of General Motors & Standard Oil.

Attachments

• ChloroFluoroCarbon 1932 Reference Freon p 252 w Captions.jpg
    ChloroFluoroCarbon 1932 Reference Freon p 252 w Captions.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
My copy of the Radio Handbook is 18th edition 1964. I have the Bureau of Naval Personnel Fundamentals of Electonics 1964. My oldest ARRL book is The Radio Amateur's V.H.F. Manual 1965 for which I paid $2.00. Quite a lot because I was still in high school then.

Audel Radioman's Guide, 1960s editions, first ones may be older. I have 2 copies, printed in India.
Radio Shack / Tandy catalog from 1976.
Lots of other flea market stuff, some destroyed or damaged by termites.

Some of my college texts in the 80s were reprints from original American or British texts. I don't think they qualify...we had transistor versions of vacuum tube voltmeters by then, so VTVM was something of an exam preparation , we learned enough to answer that question, as we knew it would rarely be encountered in the field.
The college did have at least two (Motwane, India built) AVO 8 meters, huge in comparison to what is sold today.

Last edited:
Back in post #10 I stated that I had a box full of old electronics books. I have found some of them.

They include:

"The Electronic Engineering Handbook" Which was published by "Electronic Development Associates" in 1944.

"The Radiotron Designers Handbook" Third Edition" from 1945.

"Applied Electronics, A First Course in Electron Tubes and Associated Circuits" By Truman S. Gray, Published by The Technology Press, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1943......If this was the first course, I would hate to see the last. Far too much calculus for the Big Dumm Blonde One to deal with.

"Electronic Circuits and Tubes" McGraw-Hill, 1947

In the same box was a bunch of old non electronics books including a very old copy of Red Rover by James Fenimore Cooper. It is hard cover with an embossed seal on the cover that reads "DE HIRUNDINE" Any old book collectors out there?

Attachments

• P4000329-x.jpg
    P4000329-x.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P4000328-x.jpg
    P4000328-x.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P4000326-x.jpg
    P4000326-x.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P4000324-x.jpg
    P4000324-x.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 23
  • P4000325-x.jpg
    P4000325-x.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 21
In a used book store in Chicago years ago, I found a copy of the Radiotron Designers Handbook Fourth Edition,
with the original brown wax paper jacket, which had never even been opened. The spine was perfect.
I already had a well used copy, so I bought it for the $10 asked, and kept it in mint condition.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Somewhere here in the pile I've my Great Grandfather's book on Phrenolgy, the racist study of head measurements & shape.
Without digging it out I think it was published in Boston circa 1885, My GGF died in 1895 at only 45. Many strange diseases in those daze.
And a note from the author who claimed he could tell you of your strengths by a copy of your hand writing.
Needless to say my GGF got a good mark as probably everyone else who wrote for an opinion.
I got his desk too. ;)