Best way to sell an old car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am looking to sell my father's car. It's a 1997 Infiniti Q45 in good shape. It has been a long time since I have done any private car sales. Back then I would advertise on the Auto Trader or recycler. What are the best options today? I know of craigslist, Auto Trader is still around but mostly seems to be newer used. Anything else out there?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just be ready for scammers if you use Craigslist. They will be quick to message you! :)
If you are on FaceBook then FB Marketplace is good for buying and selling. I use it all the time.

Back in the Olden Days I bought and sold a few thru the classified ads in the newspaper. Times have moved on.

They know where you live.

Quite a few years ago, I bought a 12 year old Accord that looked great, with no rust,
for $400. It was said to have a radiator quirk, but I drove that car for 6 years
without any problems, repairs. or parts needed. Sold it still in good condition.

Last edited:
Best way is to tell the truth about the car and sell it for a fair price.

Yep 100%. It's a good car.

The internet says it's a $1500 car in outstanding condition. Why not give it to a charity?
jeff

It has low miles so I am thinking around $2K. I would have preferred giving it to charity but that is not my parent's wishes.

Just be ready for scammers if you use Craigslist. They will be quick to message you! :)
If you are on FaceBook then FB Marketplace is good for buying and selling. I use it all the time.

Yeah that's what I am afraid of, the scammers. Perhaps a burner account is in order but then that raises red flags for others. I have heard of FB marketplace but do not have a FB account.

They do know your name/address from the title. People are capable of extreme behavior,
as we have seen in the past year. I've had very good luck with used cars (not a clunker ever),
but have only bought Toyotas and Hondas. I've known people in the EV group at GM, and at Tesla,
but wouldn't consider those.

Last edited:
I just sold a 1997 Toyota Avalon with 130,000 miles on it through the local auction. You can drive it over or have it towed if not driveable. Fill out some paperwork and when it sells (and it will), they get their cut and you get yours. The most hassle free way to sell an old car. I owned and cared for that car for its entire life, it was pristine. Got $1700 dollars for it. Did not have to deal with lowballing CL dirtbags and no shows. I am never going to sell a car any other way.

Use Kelly Blue Book for the value.

Meet at a neutral place, like a coffee shop or a police station.

Make the transaction at your bank. Once your bank has approved the payment, fill out the paperwork. For a <$2k car it shouldn't be an issue for the buyer to bring cash, and as said above if the cash is real they won't object to having you deposit it at the bank first. Just be upfront that this is your requirement for payment.

Most people are honest, but the few that aren't can be very expensive to deal with.

Tom

If the customer requires a cashier's check, accompany them to their bank. Just accept the teller's check.

If the buyer requires cash payment, accompany him or her to your bank. Before depositing money into your account, have the teller count it.

Take the buyer to the DMV to move the title.

Fill out whatever form it is that informs TXDOT that you no longer own the vehicle (I'm not sure).

Remove any TXTag or toll reader you might have. Notify TXTag that the vehicle has been sold.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.