I’m sick of gutter

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For over a decade I used Opera as my browser and had tweaked it so well I saw almost zero targeted ads. For some reason I now use FireFox where it has taken some work and a few plugins but I see few ads and targeted ads are very rare.

But not so on the smart phone, the apps all talk to each other and don't allow blocking.

You can't use the default setup and expect to escape the onslaught.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I suppose it boils down to how much you want from the net. The less you want, the less captive you are. My needs are very basic very deliberately. It wants more from me than I want from it. It counts on our nonchalant lackadaisical attitude. We really are in control but we hand it over.

Hi, I too use Addblocker Plus as well as Ghostery and Firefox. I run Ccleaner and Advanced System Care (a free version is available...I use the Pro one). Collectively this all cuts down the crud, but some still gets through. Some is indeed amusing...like get your college degree (I did that 50 years ago). Learn about truck driving (right). Get a nursing certificate (sure) and unfortunately along with gutter protectors (we don't have gutters), home warrantees, life insurance, CBD products ...blah blah etc. I am afraid the can of worms is opened and can not be closed. Like an earlier poster said, I 'm not likely to be around all that much longer and the younger folks will have to deal with it.

wel, as IT guy i tweaked my systems to get the least possible. And i don't have those repeating ads or annoying calls

Some tips:

- Don't put your phonenumber and so on on all sites that ask it. FB or so does not need it, and advertisers do scan facebook to find public viewable phonenumbers.
- Set all browsers to do not track, it really stops it partially
- Use adblock, ublock and ghostery (toghetter they give a good protection) in all your browsers, and noscript for the one with sensitive use. Some sites won't work with no script, but then you can select what you activate and block google stuff for instance.
- clean your browser cache and cookies daily (i use ccleaner, that does that automaticly when i reboot the computer, which happens daily).
- Use one browser for non-sensitive stufff (general surfing) and one that is totally closed for sensitive stuff (first is Chromium, the Open source variant of Chrome, last is Firefox for me).
- Apple phones track a lot less than any Android phone, and don't do sensitive stuff on your phone, any model.
- If you know how to configure an own proxy server with firewall and DMZ, do it, it stops a lot of tracking data from leaving your computer
- Windows, OSX or other OS's don't track, but many software packages do, especially when they are free, but not open source. So be carefull with those.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Why has this conversation completely veered off-topic? The original poster was talking about gutters. Somehow, no mention of accumulating leaves, water dripping or anything evestrough-related was said. IS there something I'm not getting?

In human conversations, regardless of where they're at, (in person, on the phone, on the internet) the natural tendency to talk about various subjects often happens.
Something one person said, might cause the other(s) to remember something "off topic" and begin to discuss that off-topic subject.
This is, of course, as I mentioned, a natural thing, and everybody does it.
And if I'm correct... this IS "The Lounge", isn't it?

So why question it?

He *was* originally complaining about all the ads for those stupid gutter filters. Not so much the gutter filters themselves, but being constantly bombarded by ads for something he neither needed nor wanted.

Now car insurance ads - I can watch those all day. Even though I have no intention of switching to save 15%. They’re actually entertaining, and the one-upmanship has taken them to a whole new level. How is Mr. Mayhem going to top Limu Emu sitting on the volleyball? Only time will tell.