What Does Hi-Fi� Even Mean Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Normal people" might know the dictionary definition or not, but in common phrasing it has wide variety of meanings.
Common where, your town?
Über expensive millionaire devices might be most common association nowdays, thanks to many web sites and magazines focusing on that kind of gadgets.
Advertiser's influence is for sales purpose.
But for a bit older and long-time enthusiast diy-capable person (like me) it means aiming for best possible sound and knowing means and restraints in achieveing that goal. More like an attitude, objective or dogma than specific gadgets.
That should be called "self-fi" because it is referencing to your personal preference.

I have some "hifi" friends who are nitpicker type freaks searching those last sub -120db noise level etc. and buying new stuff all the time - and never being happy. I just don't understand that and I can't even really discuss with them, because my dogma is so different.

I have 40+ years of hifi history and diy loudspeakers. I can't design or tune electronics, so I try to find best value low-mid price source and amps. I strongly believe that loudspeakers and room make 99% of hifi sound. Even more, if you don't make stupid mistakes with sources and amps.

For example my latest "project" was bedroom stereo system which has 350€ Yamaha WXC-50 as "source" (Spotify/Wifi, laptop/BT and optical/TV) which is quite edequate hifi IMO. Yammy feed 3-way speakers which have Hypex FA123 boards (dsp-xo and Ncore amps). Speakers are originally 20 years old, weigh 80kg/piece, made of stone sheets, have now double 8" SS woofers sealed, Audax mid and SBA tweeter. Only problem is that speakers must be in the narrow end corners and I'm laying on bed in the other end 5m away, so stereo imaging doesn't work at all. I have now three different systems of which this is the only one not capable of multichannel. All systems sound good hifi, but very different despite all using dsp to make measured response almost similar (excluding modes and factual reflections and room decay).

I have made 3-way speakers for my kids as well, and they like the hifi sound and the second-hand flea market sources and amps driving them -but they are not interested in hifi!
You seem to have a different definition of what hi-fi is. In such case, productive communication is impossible because you and I are not on the same page.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it system hifi or component hifi?

System HiFi (a collection of functions that could recreate music to be listened to) you can forget about. Completely. Not even a serious attempt made so far.

For component (e.g. and amp, cable etc), there may be something looking like a definition of HiFi but as typically the whole time domain is left out one could say the definition is still less than 50% complete?

//

Is it system hifi or component hifi?

System HiFi (a collection of functions that could recreate music to be listened to) you can forget about. Completely. Not even a serious attempt made so far.

For component (e.g. and amp, cable etc), there may be something looking like a definition of HiFi but as typically the whole time domain is left out one could say the definition is still less than 50% complete?

//
System would be judging the end result as in listening. Per component would be the purchasing decision. I've been saying for a long time that speakers and room acoustics (unless using headphones) are where the bottleneck is in sound replaying quality.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
System would be judging the end result as in listening. Per component would be the purchasing decision. I've been saying for a long time that speakers and room acoustics (unless using headphones) are where the bottleneck is in sound replaying quality.

This answer indicate that you don't even have a clue what it would take to make this definition. Mostly words from you with little actual substance.

//

Status
Not open for further replies.