Who needs cameras in the house?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone explain to me one situation? I have been living in England for about two years. Sometimes I notice people install security cameras. I suppose if they do that, there are several reasons for installing such a security system. I do not even have any fire detectors in my house. Does it worth it to spend money on that? How high is the risk of being attacked by burglars? What brands can you recommend? Is the Ajax security providing company reliable? I am sorry for so many questions. I have just started to worry about my safety.

If you're worried about being attacked / personal safety, it'd make sense to put cameras outside the house. Being video'd during an attack inside wont do you much good. You'll want to see the trespassers before they breach your entryway, so you can ring the police concerning the situation.

Other than that I know nothing about video security systems, except they record on HDDs these days...

Account Closed
Joined 2018
In this day and age, with the way society has seemed to sway.... I want peace of mind, particularly when I go to bed.
It's sad, indeed.
But being "one step ahead" of any potential "issues" these days isn't an option, unfortunately.
In 2016, I installed a front yard and backyard camera system - tiny little things up top of the windows indoors.
The DVR and monitor is hidden in the bedroom closet - been running perfectly 24/7 since June 2016.
And it's come in handy a few times, mainly for a neighbor's parked car being hit out front, and people tossing their trash on the curb.
Now, for anything INside my house, or for some knock on my door at 3AM, I have a lovely deterrent made by Colt. ;)

It's OK if your expectations are low. Our city is going through a tough time with a steep downturn in the local economy, and petty crime is skyrocketting. But cameras do little, basically you have thousands of minutes of an unidentifiable hooded prowler testing vehicles for unlocked doors at 1AM. You are unlikely to get your money's worth in deterrence.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Smoke and CO alarms for sure!!! Hard to believe this is even a question.

Video surveillance outside the home - it is up to you. It doesn't really "protect" anything. Perhaps it provides a bit of deterrence, but so do fake cameras and security stickers on your doors/windows.

I run cameras outside, but mostly to collect evidence "just in case". So not really "protection". Also, I run my own surveillance server and IP cameras because it is quite easy for me - I design, install and manage these systems for the company I work for. Currently responsible for 34 servers and over 1400 IP cameras. My little home system is nothing compared to those systems.

Regarding protection/defense of family, self and property - the ability, tools and willingness to do violence against those who would do harm is the only thing you can rely on. Don't count on the Police.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Good job Cal.

I had a slob of a woman dumping her trash on the curb in front of the house.
Empty water bottles, etc.
She rented a home a few doors down the street, and parked her new white Lexus SUV in front of my house.
Camera caught her dumping those bottles on my curb grass strip.
Two days later, I was out, mowing the lawn, her Lexus was out front...
I nicely, but firmly, told her I didn't appreciate that slop dumped.
She got all appologetic, saying: "Oh wow, I forgot all about that!".

Yeah, sure lady.
For two days you walked right past those bottles, my DVR proves that.

I told her, and pointed to my upstairs window, that I had a 24/7 camera going, and that dumping trash is a fine of $300.

I hope she tells people about my cameras.... I'm not their janitor, I'm a homeowner.

That.
Knowing what happens at your door, specially when not at home or into deep sleep,is well worth the setup price.

If anything, just sleeping better justifies it.

If you hear an unusual sound in the middle of the night, you can keep sleeping like a baby and check it at leisure the next day, no need at all to wake up and peek through the window "just in case".

This is from my spot in bed. It's dark now so the cameras revert to B&W as it's using IR. I use only two of the four.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 210
Account Closed
Joined 2018
That.
Knowing what happens at your door, specially when not at home or into deep sleep,is well worth the setup price.

If anything, just sleeping better justifies it.

If you hear an unusual sound in the middle of the night, you can keep sleeping like a baby and check it at leisure the next day, no need at all to wake up and peek through the window "just in case".

Yep!
My DVR holds 3 weeks/21 days of video on its 1TB drive.
That's plenty of time in HD

Date/time stamped as well.

Caught a woman changing her baby's diaper in the car out front - she tossed the crappy diaper into the curb - then went to the church across the street.
Her husband pizzed into a water bottle and tossed it in the curb.

I don't like that!

I transferred the scene to my laptop, and later that day showed it to the preacher there. - with a warning.
"The next time that happens, I'm calling the cops and they'll come to the church".

My street is NOT a dumping ground for people's trash.

Wow....some people stoop low dont they?

Where I am, on a narrow street, cameras are frowned upon, even though, elsewhere, we in the UK are the most watched population globally.

My neighbour has 3 cameras on a stalk, he rents the property and is not allowed to install cameras. I dont object other than that he uses them to spy on others, an offense in law.

Come midnight, energy saving comes in and all street lights are out. You cant see your hand in front of your face.

Having an evening of particularly bad insomnia, I got out of my warm bed, and made my way downstairs to sleep on the sofa.

After a few minutes if my eyes becoming accustomed to no lights I noticed a little light from the front of my house as the clock turned 00:00, and sneaked a look out the window.

Well, as soon as the lights were out, it appears the local reprobates convene within spitting distance of my front door, and apparently use it as some sort of meeting place.

I've lived there for 2 years now, and my son sleeps in the front bedroom, SWMBO and I in the back bedroom. From past experience, the back is the place to sleep, for security, but I think I will be changing that now.

And possibly getting IR cams too.

Unfortunately, I cant just yell like a Redneck and open my door, double barrel shotgun in hand, and tell them to move on - unless I want a lengthy jail term.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.