Football legend Diego Maradona passes away

Diego Maradona was the best football player I ever saw. :D

I even forgive that "Hand of God" goal against a very fine England side in 1986. He more than made up for it with his second goal. Beat 5 defenders. The goal of the Century.

Diego explained it later. He had no option but to cheat. A Barrio boy. Short on height, what was he expected to do?

God Bless you Diego.

I liked Georghe Hagi too. Terrific player. :)

But the list is endless.

Bobby Charlton.
Eusebio.
Pele.

Back in the day, teams used to be a mixture of thugs who'd try and kick talent off the park and break your leg, and those of us who loved the beautiful game of quick passes, putting your foot on the ball and looking around, culminating in strong shots on goal.

Diego had his ankle broken by Goicoechea. A thuggish defender AKA the butcher of Bilbao.

We owe something else to Diego. Who mostly got kicked off the pitch. The modern game protects talent better than it used to. :)

I am grateful to zmano1, your country always has great admiration for Diego Maradona, despite being 15,000 km away from us. I am clear why it is, and despite the time that has elapsed, you have made me remember the concert for Bangladesh ... return of attention? Maybe you weren't born ......
It's always the same, the powerful vs. the "out of the system", have they chosen their life? Nobody can do it, but when someone comes out of nowhere and becomes famous, but does not forget his origins and defends those who have been left in the same situation as when he was a child, that keeps him alive in the collective memory.

Steve :
It was not Goicoechea (who was a teammate in the Argentine national team and is crying deeply for it), it was the basque Goikoetxea.
I traveled a lot to Lima, the hometown of Sergio Goicoechea, and they have told me many things about him when he was in his glory days.
"Here we saw him play when he was a little boy, he was very good under the three suits, but he did not know how to go out to close angles"
Well, it was enough for him to become famous when he demonstrated it in Italy in 1990 by spoiling the dream of the "tifosi". But Maradona gave the people of southern Italy a joy. Naples even renamed a stadium in his honor now that he's gone!

El desconsolado llanto al aire de Sergio Goycochea por la muerte de Maradona: “Lo veia a Diego en el cajon y no lo podia creer” - Infobae

El dia que Goikoetxea casi retira del futbol a Maradona por una dura entrada.

Sorry I can't find the links in English, you can translate them (after all, I do it constantly here ;) ) or just enjoy the videos and images.

Attachments

• concert-for-bangladesh.jpg
    concert-for-bangladesh.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Perhaps a bit pejorative to say "singularly poor", something will have been done by the other players, a single player cannot against the remaining ten .... If you put aside the goal with your hand, and even the second goal, (considered by everyone is wonderful) the result was a draw ..... As far as I can remember there were no very dangerous arrivals from England for Argentina.
Anyway, in those days the difference between the best teams in South America (Argentina-Brazil, in that order, gg) was very marked with the European formations. We played to the "touch", to the wear of the opposite, quite the opposite for example of "German machine", a frank game with great physical display. Similar (although not so much) was the way of "attacking" of England and Holland, the latter known here as "A Clockwork Orange" because of the color of the shirt and an association with the Stanley Kubrick film -.
We adopt football from England (I think it came from there, didn't it?) But sometimes the students
exceed the teachers.
Today, football has no identity, all passes (buying and selling) of players distort the essence and identity of nations. Argentina recently beat the All Blacks in rugby for the first time, and Barcelona is led by a former German player.
Will it be the Perestoika that came to world sport?
How does Marcelo Bielsa manage Leeds without knowing how to speak English?

Last edited:
Perhaps "not outstanding" would describe that Argentine side. But with 2 goals a game from Maradona, they did well. We had a couple of early Argentine players at Tottenham in the 80's. Ricky Villa and Osvaldo Ardiles. They brought al level of skill that was new to our game and were crowd favourites.

I think we have got over the Hand of God goal. It's even a funny story the way Diego told it to Gary Linekar. He had a tough career. Got kicked a lot. Even the drugs he got into trouble with were partly pain management. A goal every other game was outstanding for a midfielder. Well, there it is. I have watched a few videos about him recently. He could be a very nice man by all accounts. Generous.

Thanks for those words, system7. :)
Details are now being known of how her last hours were. He was angry and did not want to take the medications or undergo the checkups. He left as he lived, he kept the rebellion of a teenager until the last second, it is not that he could not adapt to a cruel world (remember Cat Stevens, this is a hard world, baby) but that he did not want to. Consistent with his feelings, but he self-destructively, although sixty years lived with that intensity does not touch anyone in this life .....