What's the best thing you ever made ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is schematic.
I used a small PIC micro to look at inputs.
It does a 4 second power up anti thump delay.
Then if it sees DC for 250mS it shuts off the relay.
The PIC code is pretty simple.
I have done various other designs since with SSR's and mains failure detect and over current detect.

DCPROT.jpg

Hmmm, surprised this thread hasn't taken off.

Audio-wise, would have to say my DBR TB W3-871's. Not perfect by any means, but just SO useful because of their small size.

Non-audio-wise, hmmm, many contenders. My utility trailer, built from a kit, keeps growing with add-ons gradually over the years. My 6' computer desk, made of MDF with angle iron bracing to hold multiple CRT's. My experience has been to ignore advice to not overdo it if you want to build something DIY and truly durable.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A bird feeder with bifilar wound bare wire electrodes on the perches. These were attached to a 60 foot cable that led to a shock generator box (9V + 555 + transformer) in the house. Box had a large red pushbutton switch. When parent's favorite small birds came to eat: no button push, no shock. When bluejays or squirrels came: zap, owwie, get away. Parents were thrilled.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
My most valuable tool is a speaker DC protect for my amplifier test rig.
It sits on the output between amp under test and my speaker box.
I have designed and built dozens of amps and it must have saved me a fortune in speakers over the years.

My service bench has a simple device I made to protect the two "monitor" speakers on it.
Just in case an amp being tested should have DC on its output

Just a small box, with binding posts and two switches, oh, and a headphone jack.
To protect the bench speakers one switch connects in a blocking capacitor - 500uF/150V non-polarized.
Simple, elegant, it works.

It's the little black box pictured just above the tape deck, fastened to the shelf.

Attachments

• rs-1500 on bench.JPG
    rs-1500 on bench.JPG
    819.8 KB · Views: 309
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I made a temporary water heater using a large metal beer keg many years ago. Installed a wooden bung into which I placed a copper circulation tube and a heating element. Also added a temp switch. Kind of dangerous electrically, but it did the job for quick showers. Volume was very limited.

My 0-500V 0-500 mA regulated power supply is pretty handy, I have to say. Current limiting is really nice to have when you're powering up very old tubes.

Really though, I think the most useful is the line stage with transformer balanced inputs and outputs. It sounds good, sure, but it's a fantastic line stage for testing equipment. It has about 6dB of gain (more than enough for most things). It's all class A too, and it measures pretty good as well. Ironically, it was never supposed to be a finished project- just a test application of some mic preamp boards that I trimmed down to have 6dB of gain rather than 60.

It's been so useful I wish I had two of them, so that's gotten me working on a new digitally controlled line stage for the shop that will have differential input and outputs, programmable gain control using an AD5452, mutes on both channels, etc. This one uses an INA for the input, mostly to save a few bucks on transformers.

I see Bill already beat me to it, but co-producer of Jennifer and Brian. As I’ve joked to my son, it was literally my pleasure, and all else pales.

Let’s face it, the mom does all the solid heavy lifting on that job, our contributions are shall we say fleeting.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.