The real cost of facebook, the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been wondering, for a while, why so many people believe the audio myths and why theres so many. Always had the feeling the internet was at its root. Now I have some evidence.

The Social Dilemma | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTube

Fake news spreads 7 times faster than the truth. Everyone has there own truth, and since it makes money for the rich this will continue and get worse. When people get there "facts", that are customized per individual, from social media what do we expect. How have we become such sheep?

I hope Ive enticed a few to watch, as they say the cure is knowledge.

Last edited:
My wife and I were discussing the construction of meat filled buns, from a recipe she found on a youtube post. "Why lump all the meat at one end?" I asked "Because that's how the lady in the video does it"

"Do you think someone's an authority on something just because they make a youtube post?"

I feel my statement is kind of obvious, but I guess it's a real thing that's easy to get caught up in. I wonder how a full bench of test equipment in the background effects one's perception of another being some kind of audio authority? I'm sure all the other hobbies - cooking, boating, woodworking, fishing, drag-racing - have their visual counterparts that say "this guy must be a lot better than me - I should strictly follow"

Think it's a mix between the natural instinct to defend yourself when confronted, and classic misinterpretation (on both parts). One thing is communication in real life, where very few can get along to begin with, and then move the conversation to written form which can be even more limiting.
Grown ups speaking the same language cannot understand each other, and they're trying to get the kids to play nice.

Almost as if conflict is easier to handle than getting along.

People have always been sheep. The internet has just sped up the process
and made it more obvious.
Agree, this has been true at least since the first Pastoral societies, well before the Pyramids.
95% or more of People are followers, only a few are Leaders.
Which I don´t find wrong, at least from a practical sense.
Too many strong leaders trying to run the same flock tend to fight each other and do nothing useful.
Human nature I guess.

"Do you think someone's an authority on something just because they make a youtube post?"

I wonder how a full bench of test equipment in the background effects one's perception of another being some kind of audio authority? I'm sure all the other hobbies - cooking, boating, woodworking, fishing, drag-racing - have their visual counterparts that say "this guy must be a lot better than me - I should strictly follow"

There’s a saying in racing ‘all show, and no go’ :D

I wonder how you raise a query without being accused of being a troublemaker or trying to wind them up. The more authority they project the more insecure they seem to be.

Maybe your reputation preceded you? (to be fair, I can see you’ve been dialing it back lately) :D

Grown ups speaking the same language cannot understand each other, and they're trying to get the kids to play nice.

Ain’t that the truth!
People are so wrapped up in their little insignificant worlds that they can’t be bothered to take the time and understand what others are trying to communicate to them. Aggravates the heck out of me!

I’ve never been on FB or anything like it.......this is about as social as I get! ;)

Last edited:
I saw that game too. :D

Bill Belichick got told by the Pats management to move with the times and use a Tablet. Chucked it to the ground after a few minutes. IIRC, he later won Superbowl with his paper notepad as usual.

My Ex is forever posting fairly tired and rancid second-hand views to FB. When I look in. I don't tell her though. She doesn't want to hear. :rolleyes:

I'd say conflict is a natural, while getting along takes determination, experience and eventually becomes a skill.

That's why division is so easy to exploit. "If you multi-way speaker builders would only listen!"

Even discerning truth takes effort; The Baloney Detection Kit of Carl Sagan

It's so much easier to just allow sway from the visual impressions - "look at all the equipment that guy's got - he must be right!"

I wonder if it'd be different if it was "audiobook" instead of facebook, or "youspeaker" instead of youtube? ;')

I've just had a great idea. :D

Instead of all this profiling shenanigans that the webs do in spying on our lives, why don't we just tell them what they want to know?

Google, I am a WASP in the financial bracket B. I vote Conservative, and like Women. Incline to Science and Environmentalism with a currently discredited IQ grade of 128. Now really, get on with your own lives. And leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.