Netflix, The Social Dilemma, is the most important documentary of our times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remember how the people who invented the atomic bomb came out later saying that they regretted it. I was reminded of that after watching the creators of social media interviewed in "The Social Dilemma" now available on Netflix. I found it terrifying. It is not perfect or anything, but watching the people who built the machine describe how it works and what it is really doing is a must see. I have worked in software for many years, I had only a vague idea of what was going on. It is too long, and too polished, but that may appeal to the widest audience. If you have ever spent time developing an algorithm that optimized something, you understand how badly single parameter blind optimization can go wrong. Imagine how long it would take an optimization algorithm with the only goal of maximizing the acceleration of a car to figure out that running into a solid wall gives the peak acceleration. Look around at your family and friends and see if you can pry them away from social media for a day. Go ahead and try. Turn off the internet at your house, you will find yourself alone in a few hours as the others go find internet elsewhere. Remind you of a gambling addiction?

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Well.. no one really understands dopamine... It has many, many purposes...
But, either way, I don't understand this social media stuff. No one I know uses FB, twitter or the others much if at all - and that includes children, grandkids...

I often write in here...& in the "comments section" within Youtube. Our DIY community is rather like-minded, unlike those who write in Youtube, they are often cryptic, their prose is poor, and is chocked full of lazy acronyms. I have no compulsion to bother with FB or any others, I don't have a smartphone, nor desire one.
And as suspected, my wife & 23 YO son are steeped in the social scene, often to their unknowing detriment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------Rick........

Remember how the people who invented the atomic bomb came out later saying that they regretted it. I was reminded of that after watching the creators of social media interviewed in "The Social Dilemma" now available on Netflix. I found it terrifying. It is not perfect or anything, but watching the people who built the machine describe how it works and what it is really doing is a must see. I have worked in software for many years, I had only a vague idea of what was going on. It is too long, and too polished, but that may appeal to the widest audience. If you have ever spent time developing an algorithm that optimized something, you understand how badly single parameter blind optimization can go wrong. Imagine how long it would take an optimization algorithm with the only goal of maximizing the acceleration of a car to figure out that running into a solid wall gives the peak acceleration. Look around at your family and friends and see if you can pry them away from social media for a day. Go ahead and try. Turn off the internet at your house, you will find yourself alone in a few hours as the others go find internet elsewhere. Remind you of a gambling addiction?

Lot's of truth about, IMO. First one is what Marshall McLuhan said: The Medium is the Message.

My brother-in-law explained it simply. If I want to get my Company taken seriously, I advertise it in The Financial Times rather than Mad magazine or such comics.

Second Truism is what H.L. Mencken said: No-one ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Which is to say that a sucker is born every minute. :rolleyes:

Without wishing to sound condescending, I notice the above major quote shows no understanding of paragraphs. So I am not taking it too seriously.

I'd like to join the fun, but - Oh ! - they want an account. Everybody wants an account. I'm sick of even more, and/or other "accounts"... I do see free for 30, but I assume not without their having the possibility to make a charge, should I forget - that old time honored trick that no-one is beneath. I imagine the financial disconnect process is a lot harder than the connect process.

I'd watch it for a one time, never to be troubled again fee from my ebay junk sales funded paypal - maybe. Otherwise "I get it" just reading what others have to say after they watched it - looks like it's going to have to be good 'enuf for now.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that the internet and smartphones are a tool. Any tool can be used properly or improperly. For example, I love being able to look up a datasheet on a whim. Forums like this one and several others are an incredible resource as well.

Smartphones are the same thing. I can write a quick response to an email while waiting for the bus, for example. Having a camera on me all the time is great, because I can take a picture of something to compare when I get back to the office.

Social media is generally not worth my time (that includes the DiyAudio lounge, but here I am...). I think part of the problem is that the people who are smart and actually interesting to talk to have much better things to do than sit on social media all day, so what's left is largely garbage. Of course there are exceptions, but it seems that for every smart Youtube / Reddit comment there are 20 moronic, poorly-written comments.

Couldn't resist a bit of much-needed editing for readbility here:

Remember how the people who invented the atomic bomb came out later saying that they regretted it?

I was reminded of that after watching the creators of social media interviewed in "The Social Dilemma" now available on Netflix. I found it terrifying. It is not perfect or anything, but watching the people who built the machine describe how it works and what it is really doing is a must see.

I have worked in software for many years, I had only a vague idea of what was going on. It is too long, and too polished, but that may appeal to the widest audience.

If you have ever spent time developing an algorithm that optimized something, you understand how badly single parameter blind optimization can go wrong.

Imagine how long it would take an optimization algorithm with the only goal of maximizing the acceleration of a car to figure out that running into a solid wall gives the peak acceleration.

Look around at your family and friends and see if you can pry them away from social media for a day. Go ahead and try. Turn off the internet at your house, you will find yourself alone in a few hours as the others go find internet elsewhere.

Remind you of a gambling addiction?

As H713 says, very few comments on the web are worth our time. Maybe 5%. You are better off reading a quality newspaper, or a carefully curated website according to your interests. And diyaudio does better than most.

I think paragraphs have to adapt to the medium. This is PC or Mobile Phone.

I used to work on a magazine, and page layout was one of the main objectives to get right.

Text goes on the left, pictures to the right, just how our brains work.

But in a physical book, longer paragraphs work. Particularly with greater spacing between lines.

And avoid unusual fonts. Times Helvetica is what we are used to.

My Editor used to say he wanted lots of White Space. He was right. Apple have always used lots of White Space.

Mac - Apple (UK)

:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.