It's quiet today - fascinating read!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Didn't want to hog this interesting post before hearing what other people think.

But it deserves a reply. Quiet, Fresh Air, Nature and Dark Skies at night are invaluable. IMO.

Makes you more sensitive to the wonder of the World we inhabit.

A World we seem intent on destroying. I wonder why that is? :confused:

I can never resist walking into a Cathedral. :cool:

Don't care if it is Protestant or Catholic. 20 minutes works wonders.

These places are designed to promote an "Inner Quiet" or stillness even in the Metropolis.

I am sure I would find such a thing in all the World's great sanctuaries, being Muslim, Buddhist or whatever.

But it's even better to find some quiet in Nature, IMO.

All it takes, is a motorcycle to ruin it.(

I used to have a Honda CB450. It had an attribute of being incredibly quiet; I could get past certain dog's who chased such things, before they knew it. I could sneak up on certain teenage girls riding their bicycles...

But like the teenager that I was, I went and bought a length of steel pipe, cut it in half, split the ends and with a couple of hose clamps...open pipes, just like the Harleys!

I, um, dont do those things anymore. When I hear them, there's a moment of understanding, almost a moment of forgiveness. Assuming it's a just teenager...

These days I too like quiet times and like the article says, they're harder to come by and appreciated when I get a good slot of it.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Just got up. Now I hear the bathroom fan and the smells of nature.

Where I live we are able to get away from the noises of humankind and take in the serenity of our fellow creatures rather easily and it's what we'll be doing right after breakfast. It's our way to clear your inner cache.

+1. There is no building that is the equal of a fine old tree.

Just got up. Now I hear the bathroom fan and the smells of nature.......clear your inner cache.

I’m thinking the smells are that of second hand smoked oyster,chicken,duck,and beef ribs...... Not exactly what I’d call serenity! :D

And certainly the fellow creatures outside downwind from the exhaust vent might agree as they scramble!

Last edited:
Deep in countryside where I live, there is wonderful white noise of myriads of crickets, all night long. It is coming from all directions, it feels like sound of still air around you. On a moonless night, I walk out and there are crazy stars in the sky. It is me and the Universe, with nothing in between.

Galu, I think you have a natural talent for Comedy. :D

I was reading the latest edition of The Oldie today. This, FWIW, is where we wise Oldies get our subversive kicks. When we are not listening to the soothing sounds of Classic FM

Oldie Gyles Brandeth got asked for his funniest current joke. He said I have got to tell my current one about Covid-19. But I'd have to wait 14 days to tell if you get it! :D

Apparently created an Internet Storm for insensitivity. :confused:

The youngies are the ones who don't take it seriously. Well, just wait till we cut you out of our Wills. I'd rather leave the cash to homeless puppies. :)

Enjoyed The Buggles too:

The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star - YouTube

I like subversive.

With the tight lockdown here in Argentina, no one can come into the city limits without documentation proving they live here...
A few things I've noticed, with a jet airport some dozens of kilometers north of the city, I haven't seen nor heard a jetliner in six months or more. Late at night as in this moment as I write this, 10:51 PM, dark & cold still, it's silent as a church-mouse, only the ocean at high-tide is audible...the occasional scooter breaks the silence..a main roadway being 2 1/2 blocks away, an occasional sound comes thru.
If the lockdown continues, for the first time the hoards of people won't be coming at around December, the beaches won't be flooded by the well-to-do that have their seasonal properties here...Where one cannot find their two square meters to lie on the beach, they will be sparsely populated.

Google Earth 38 degrees 04hrs20minutes south, by 57degrees33hrs06minutes west Or as written, 380420S 573306W ...that's me next to the scooter at ground level.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.