Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
One thing I am not sure about: Noise canceling earphones…
While it is obvious that tinnitus can’t be canceled this way, what about the other direction: say I am using them in a loud surrounding, would the canceling add to the noise or is the air-pressure neutralized?

While I'm not sure either way, I know that any way that I can get the cleanest environment to listen to my music with the hearing I have left, I am go to do that, so I always use my noise canceling earphones when there is noise going on around me. Too, in respect of others at night, I don't add to their noise by adding my speakers to their noise when they are trying to sleep.

Likewise, working next to an F-15 revving its engines is no walk in the park either! I hear that roar every waking second. The other day, I decided to play the same frequency on my speakers at the same level as my tinnitus. My upstairs bedroom door was closed. My daughter downstairs immediately yelled up, "I don't know what you're playing, but whatever it is, PLEASE turn it down!"

Likewise, working next to an F-15 revving its engines is no walk in the park either! I hear that roar every waking second. The other day, I decided to play the same frequency on my speakers at the same level as my tinnitus. My upstairs bedroom door was closed. My daughter downstairs immediately yelled up, "I don't know what you're playing, but whatever it is, PLEASE turn it down!"
Damn, that's quite something..

Mine started when I was in my early 40's. At first it was only one ear.I'm 65 and now it's in both. Both of my older brothers have it too. The buzzing/ringing never stops. I got pretty good at ignoring it over the years. When I listen to music I don't hear the tinnitus, unless I make an effort to. I must be unconsciously prioritizing the music over the ringing? I've never really thought about it till I came across this post. My tinnitus has been with me so long it's become a background noise that I ignore. Only when I'm somewhere very quiet does it dominate my mind. Next time I put on a record I'm going to pay more attention to what I'm hearing.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
About 5 years ago I took Cephalexin for an infection in my arm . Approx one hour after taking the first pill my chronic tinnitus completely disappeared for 2-3 hours. Over the course of 2 days it gradually returned to the previous level..

This was a wonderful experience - I had 16 year old hearing for a few hours

Since this experience I’ve wondered if there is a component in this drug that could be developed and used for alleviating tinnitus.

haiqu,
You lucky devil! I worked on F-15s for many years. I would be up to my ears on a grave-yard quiet flight-line when a crew chief would come out and fire up the F-15 next to me (F-15s have a third jet engine built in to be used as a starter, so a power unit is not need to start one). Not needing them on the quiet flight-line, I would not have my ear protectors in, and having my hands full, would not be able to stop and put them in for several minutes. Consequently, I now am reminded all my waking minutes exactly what an F-15 engine at full idle sounds like. A while back I decided to see exactly how loud my tinnitus was, so I went to a frequency generator site and played the frequency of my tinnitus (7460Hz) at the same volume I hear the tinnitus. My upstairs bedroom door was closed. My daughter downstairs yelled up and said, "I don't know what you are doing, but please turn that noise down!"