Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

I've fiigured out that If I turn off the fluorescent lights in my office, the noise is not quite as bad when I get home. It's not good working on a computer in the dark though.

I have measured the noise in the open space and the various office compartments along the walls, a lot of peaks from 10khz and up, some coincide with my tinnitus. It (my tinnitus) always seems to change when I move my head, so it is difficult to discern if it is an actual sound or my own ears making it.

Will have to try wearing protective gear in my office for a week, people will probably just blame it on me being my normal self.

Last edited:
I have three sets of "good enough" headphones, my favorites are the silver akg k141 sextet, tied with the golden k141 monitor, they are somewhat different but sound very good, not for the bass heads, but detailed and "effortless". Think less about the noise afterwards, can almost fool myself into thinking it is possible to hear more than 13500hz. Maybe a couple more years I will hear nothing over 10khz. Really hoping those scientists can sell us a "ear rejuvination kit" soon.

I have it now.
Caused recently by accident in friends home studio.
Too bad too because almost done with audio project been working on for years.
As a hunch, the next board revision going to add a 'tilt' tone circuit.
I've used it before and allows dialing in the sweet spot.
Won't hurt to try.

ask to Doc for melatonin with Adenosina
"Forma farmaceutica: COMPRESSE di MELATONINA CONIUGATA con ADENOSINA e GLICINA da 2,5 to 20 mg (con cellulosa microcristallina, lattosio, silice colloidale e magnesio stearato come eccipienti). CAPSULE di MELATONINA LIBERA da 10 e 20 mg.
Il rapporto Melatonina:Adenosina:Glicina è pari a 2:9:5.
La coniugazione con adenosina e glicina è una scelta che pone le basi sulle evidenze scientifiche contenute nella review G. Di Bella, F. Mascia, L. Gualano, L. Di Bella “Melatonin Anticancer Effects: Review” Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2013, 14, 2410-2430"

I have tinnitus, it started a few years back, I have worked on ship engines earlier, used lots of noisy machinery, and never thought about ear protection, but now it's to late, there's a nice 2khz tone topped with some 5 or 6 khz, very annoying, so please protect your ears, don't be stupid as I.

Yes, I have it quite severely,
gets worse when i'm dehydrated, stressed or overthinking.
you learn to tune it out to some extent but it makes social stuff in crowds quite hard
it's really going some as I type, no idea what's caused it to flare up, annoying but manageable for now.

saying that though, as for enjoying audio, I seem to be hyper sensitive now to oddities in audio
be that TV, music, radio, or something else....so really do enjoy decent quality source material
and, by 'oddities' it could be anything really, phase, compression, fans, high frequency transformer whining, AM frequency shift.....I can pick up when something's not 'right' fairly quickly when most just ask WTF i'm on!

Last edited:
I have tinnitus, it started a few years back, I have worked on ship engines earlier, used lots of noisy machinery, and never thought about ear protection, but now it's to late, there's a nice 2khz tone topped with some 5 or 6 khz, very annoying, so please protect your ears, don't be stupid as I.

:checked::checked::checked::checked::checked:

:nownow:
The most important ability for you to hear the quality of and enjoy your audio gear is your ears/hearing. With tinnitus (luckily I am not bothered by it except for in very short moments), THD values, dynamics etc. of your audio gear become quite secondary. Lost hearing cannot be repaired to any audiophile standards and tinnitus is known to have caused suicides from discomfort!

Avoid any kind of loud sounds as much as you can (also valid for hunters) and ask yourself if many hundred Watts of audio gear at home or in the car actually will make you happy in the long run.

Unfortunately, tinnitus can also appear from nerve damage.

Last edited:
I seem to have a very unusual cause of tinnitus. I played the orchestral violin professionally for 40 years, and assumed my tinnitus was to do with noise levels. But I discovered by chance that a large fraction of it is to do with my jaw position. If I don't play for a while it improves; and if I have it after or during playing, pushing back on my jaw diminishes it and changes the frequency. I have not worked out how to change my playing style to stop it happening. Habits too set.