Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Max, get a blood test from the Doctor. I have to get all kinds of crap checked, and she basically just checks off boxes on what to get measures for...

As for Tinnitus - :( I'm in that camp. Playing bass with a drummer to your right without earplugs is a bad idea... So is being young and stupid and not wearing protection - in all situations haha.

What's the method of checking Vitamin D levels ?.

Dan.

A blood sample.

The definition of the "normal" range are different from country to country.
Where I live it is politically defined that 90% of all citizens always are "normal".
Thus it is only those in the lowest 5% and highest 5% of the measurements that get a warning about the levels, and they change the definitions to keep the 5/90/5 spread.
Even worse is the fact that the upper limit for "normal" actually are the minimum level to stay healthy.
They have even defined a toxic level that really are in the middle of the optimal range. I myself have had (last five years) a level that are 50% above the defined toxic level and get a signed warning every time I check the levels, and every second time the laboratory scraps the measurements as it is to high.. :)

The paradox are that even with the way to low definitions more than 70% may be defined as having low level and 20% as having dangerous low levels.

This year I really started wondering...
I have measured testosterone once a year as vitamin D increases several hormone levels. During the last five years my testosterone levels have increased 30% - the normal are a reduction of 1% pr. year after you pass 24 - 30 years age.
What got me wondering was a reduction of 30% this year in the upper "normal" limit for testosterone.. And thus I have changed from having a level of 50% of the upper "normal" five years ago to suddenly having 100% of the upper level.
I have read research that tells that the general level of testosterone are dropping year by year, but this are a dramatic change...

Hey all...

I have tinnitus in my right ear from a few mistakes I made (turning on equipment during a mixing session without realizing a mic was on and turning on guitar amps with the volume all the way up.)

Yeah, I'm an idiot, and I'm only 18.
So basically I was wondering if there were any other people here with hearing disabilities and if they've learned to enjoy being an audiophile without becoming to self-aware of their hearing problems.

I'm just beginning to be an audiophile and I've noticed that I can hear the ringing in my ear more than ever after I listen to a really good pair of headphones.

Thanks,
rob
I use to, but then I stopped tinnitusing.
I learned to ask my subconscious to stop :)

FYI, zinc supplements evidently help some people with this condition. Do an Internet search to see about this.

I don't have tinnitus myself, but nevertheless had occasion to take zinc supplements for other reasons. When I do it extends my very high frequency hearing range for a while. Why? Clueless on that. Norman

Zinc is a key element needed for many enzymes.
It might be you simply were not getting enough in your diet.

Yeah Tom, clean as a whistle!!

Actually, about 10 years ago I got onto this Tomatis Sound Therapy scheme from the people in Sydney out here in Oz - it was a set of cassettes and I just put on a small set of headphones playing very quietly and went about the daily job and after about 2 weeks the tinnitus suddenly dropped right back but the CPS didn't and after about another 2 weeks the tinnitus just faded away and the CPS took another week or so of a gradual improvement -
This lasted for some years and after then the CPS returned slowly but I just ignored it until the faint tinnitus returned so that's when I got the old cassettes/player out again and did the same routine - it didn't take long this time for a clean hearing again.

One of the best things was the elimination of this extra nasty called Miniere's syndrome - it's a bloody awful feeling of falling all the time and I tried a walker frame and other things but I still couldn't stay vertical and kneeling wasn't too good either - was crawling on the floor for days like army basics - absolutely ghastly feeling - got knock-out pills - thank goodness only occasionally - hasn't returned and vastly relieved.

My threshold perception also rolls off about 10 - 12kHz but no problems in sorting out the overtones in church bell tones and cymbol trimming as it's the balance of harmonics that is more significant with this part of the listening, IMO - no doubt there's oodles of stuff I'm missing but I just don't get concerned about it any more - I was involved with a live recording recently and had a great deal of trouble convincing "the guy" that he had the cymbol mikes out of phase, if that's any indication that even with our 'older ears', we can still listen well and sort out o'tones, beats and phase anomalies in the 'top end'!

Yes, as Timar linked, there are quite a few different ways of getting rid of this 'pest' and as usual, different techniques work for different people
- and then there are others that have severely damaged hearing that little, if anything, can fix so those expert consultants do have a place in the system, I guess, but I just wish they'd open their minds to other possibilities (I've been saying that for awhile!)

Haven't followed your Resevoir Caps thread for awhile - jeez, the sim model has expanded on your last post!

Thanks for all of the encouraging information!! It's quite exciting! I'm going to start studying everything that everyone has mentioned, here, and try to figure out how to proceed.

You need a bit o' patience Tom as here seems to be quite a lot of misleading 'cures' on the net that I think is part 'n parcel of the whole 'alternative health' area - plenty of people looking for better results than the established medical professionals and quite a lot of BS too, unfortunately.

I'm quite active for an "older person" (grumpy ol' fart, usually!) and 'have' a Naturapath rather than the usual doctor clinic 'thing' and have vitamin/mineral supplements as a daily intake and I think this also assists in keeping the tinnitus at bay -

I must admit that I don't really care what is best, why it all works, etc anymore and am just really pleased that this works for me so well over the years and I'm now still free of 'it'

Mind you, no more angle grinders on roofs, jack hammers, concerts, etc without really good ear filters (those gun shooter ones) and I have delved into what's probably known here as the "weirdo, woo-woo stuff" of Tai Chi, Hulda Clark zappers, Reiki, Jim Smith 'get better sound', "Room Tunes, etc and other such things! [Hey, it all works for me!!]

Tinnitus suffers I see that some are here.

Orange juice helps least combat or minimizes the loudness of the inner ear noise of what sounds like filtered high frequency around between 7khz or 8khz at - hard to say what -db level? It can alter on some days a little higher.

No thanks to Sensurround 120db of bloody Battlestar Galactica (1978) around April 1979 aged 12, as it wasn't until few months or so I was noticing this noise mostly at nighttime. My hearing couldn't have been exposed to any other PA system or Hi-Fi and the Sensurround was the loudest in the cinema at the time.

So I drink a lot of Orange Juice OJ vit C each day and night. Some days it goes all quiet. I guess it taxes us at times as its a high frequency pressure.

The worst concert I ever went to was Rufus with Chaka Kahn at the Purple Onion on Rosewood Drive in Columbia SC around 1975 or 1976.

The music was so loud that when we came out of the nightclub (disco) we couldn't hear each other unless we yelled, and our ears were ringing. The next morning my ears were still ringing and didn't quit for a full day.

The worst concert I ever went to was Rufus with Chaka Kahn at the Purple Onion on Rosewood Drive in Columbia SC around 1975 or 1976.

The music was so loud that when we came out of the nightclub (disco) we couldn't hear each other unless we yelled, and our ears were ringing. The next morning my ears were still ringing and didn't quit for a full day.

Lucky you.