Free Parts Essay Contest

I am cleaning out a bit. I am putting a lot of parts in a USPS 12" x 12" x 6" box. It will ship free to whoever can do the best 300 words or less essay on why they should get the box entirely for free. You can also mention what parts you would like, including, semiconductors, transformers, heatsinks, connectors, resistors, capacitors, hardware etc. (You might mention your line voltage!)

The contest will be open at least until September 1, 2020.

P.M.s will disqualify anyone sending one!

Last edited:
Many years ago someone on this forum started a box full of "stuff" and a list.

The recipient was to take what he needed, then fill the box back up with stuff he didn't need, then send it on to the next person on the list. All the "stuff" had to be something the average diyAudio member would use, tube, chip, or discrete semiconductor.

I think there might have been different lists for each type of box. This was quite some time ago, and the forum search engine couldn't find it, but then I don't remember much more than what I stated.

At the peak of this game there were several boxes in circulation, each with a number. I don't remember how it ended either.

Found it.

The Migratory Box started in 2008 and circulated for 4 years. There were 3 or 4 going at once sometimes.

Pass Along the Migratory Box of Electonic Junk

Note that the USPS will allow up to 70 pounds in a flat rate box. The person delivering your mail may NOT. Stuffing a 50 pound power transformer in a flat rate box and shipping it may be OK by the rules, but it is a good way to make your letter carrier angry. There was a two week period about 10 years ago when the post office made me come in to pick up my mail every day even if it didn't contain any 1KVA industrial control transformers. Then I had to wait for them to find a guy who could carry it out from the back.

Last edited:
If PM disqualifies, how do you convey your essay? Post as reply to this thread? For all to see (and steal) how genuine humility is expressed in words?

I had an dorm RA in college, cool guy "Jim". I asked how he got his position. He said they wanted him to write an essay about why he should be picked, explain his qualifications - he said he just told them he really needed a free room.

Yesterday I got a big cardboard box of an old DVD player, full of 1% resistors, nicely sorted, some 10 pounds weight, for free. I am very happy with it, but... It reminds me on the children's poem by Siv Widerberg:

"I collected postage stamps. Daddy gave me half a kilo. I did not collect postage stamps any more."

Scott,

Just PM an address and I can have some pigs sent!

ATTACHED is a picture of the first small parts box, well over a pound of small parts, free to a good home!

Just 300 words or less and it can be yours! Minimum three entries by Friday and off it goes to the best essay!

Attachments

• Boxy.jpg
    Boxy.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 351