What did you create today?

A thread for things we create, large and small, complex or trivial, to meet life's demands or for convenience. Physical things - which may not necessarily have to do with Audio A-OK.

Example; I have a bunch of camera tripods around and found it annoying that the 1/4-20 threaded based attachment mechanism is completely incompatible with any microphone clips I have. So I made an adapter, now I can use the camera tripod to hold my measurement microphone.

And the measurement microphone diameter is incompatible with any of the mic clips I happen to have...

Attachments

• Mic Adapter.jpg
    Mic Adapter.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 345
We have a few lavender bushes, from which we recently harvested a small pile of flowers. My wife was interested in extracting some lavender oil, so I created a small still from her pressure cooker, a few silicon hose bits and a old plastic jug. The jug has 3 meters of silicon hose in it, filled with cold water.

I packed the cooker with flowers, put in a metal spacer to keep them just above the boiling water level...

Got a full 12 oz bottle of distilled water out of it - and maybe a single Q-tips soaking worth of oil. The whole house smelled intently of lavender however, almost to overwhelm, so it all went somewhere; just not in the catch bottle (not shown) as I'd hoped.

Attachments

• Still.jpg
    Still.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
maybe a single Q-tips soaking worth of oil
Well, that´s a lot of essential oil!!
The whole house smelled intently of lavender however, almost to overwhelm
I told you ;)

I bet it´s enough , when disolved in 60% grain/neutral alcohol + 40% distilled water to make a 250cc bottle of very nice Lavender perfume.

For the next time I would suggest a copper (even aluminum) consdenser coil instead of silicone or any plastic one, heat transmission is paramount.

Even a Lab type glass tube will be better than that.

Congratulations on your experiments :)

Replacement 15v battery for the Avometer which had an old type 411. Just a tube, plastic end caps, and a couple screws for terminals. It holds 5 x CR2025 cells. Should last a long time and easy to replace the cells in future if needed. The tube I cut up was packaging for some glow bracelets. IMG_20200704_160534_809.jpg IMG_20200704_160534_799.jpg IMG_20200704_155943_321.jpg

Last month I created this for a customer.
They had an automatic sliding gate that was no longer in use.
I brought it to my workshop, made a foundation for it and installed solar panels and a wind turbine.
Now they have a mobile sliding gate that they can place anywhere without connecting any wires.

The batteries stay fully charged most of the time just from the solar panels (I dimmensioned the panels so that the panels alone should be enough to power the gate), so the turbine often stay still until the gate starts moving.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_133629__01.jpg
    IMG_20200603_133629__01.jpg
    961.3 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Example; I have a bunch of camera tripods around and found it annoying that the 1/4-20 threaded based attachment mechanism is completely incompatible with any microphone clips I have. So I made an adapter, now I can use the camera tripod to hold my measurement microphone...
I have been thinking about doing something like that.....But just thinking.

A thread for things we create, large and small, complex or trivial, to meet life's demands or for convenience. Physical things - which may not necessarily have to do with Audio A-OK.

Example; I have a bunch of camera tripods around and found it annoying that the 1/4-20 threaded based attachment mechanism is completely incompatible with any microphone clips I have. So I made an adapter, now I can use the camera tripod to hold my measurement microphone.

And the measurement microphone diameter is incompatible with any of the mic clips I happen to have...

If you search amazon for a "1/4 to 5/8 microphone adapter" you should
find some adapters that will let you use a microphone mount on a tripod.

This "creation" started over a year ago when someone gave us a swing set / play house because their kids had outgrown it. Once it was here examination revealed a lot of rotten wood and missing parts. I started rebuilding bit by bit, but it did not get finished last year.

About 2 weeks ago I came to realize that our youngest grandkids will outgrow this thing soon, so a full scale attack was launched. Very little of the original set remains. The swing parts, the slide, the slats for the horizontal parts of the house walls, and the black trim bits are it.

Of course this has been the hottest two week period for this area in recorded history with average afternoon temperatures in the mid 90's F. Last Friday was the most fun when the thermometer in the shade on the porch hit 101, and I managed to step on a bee, not once, but three times. Fortunately I'm not allergic to them.

It is finally done, and the grandkids are scheduled to begin destroying my creation.

Attachments

• P3730253_1_x.jpg
    P3730253_1_x.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 198
  • P3730255_1_x.jpg
    P3730255_1_x.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 197