Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Measurement and Perception
Measurement and Perception
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2020, 09:03 AM   #1
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Measurement and Perception

For people who living in Jakarta, room temperature about 22 degree Celsius considered as "cold". But for people who living in 4 seasons, considered as "hot".

For people who living in country side (Indonesia), walking at 5 km is "near", but people who living at big city, it is "far".

Measurement and human perception is different. Culture, habit, mindset can influence to the perception.

What do you think?

Can it happen in audio?
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:57 AM   #2
mterbekke is offline mterbekke  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Almost everything is based on perception, measurements as well.
If 2 measurements are the same, there's no problem. When they are slightly different and you'd have to choose which one's better, you need to interpret the values and make a decision.
Listening can help making that decision, but is easy to get wrong for many reasons e.g. on too small loudspeakers one shouldn't really make an opinion about bass performance since some octaves can't even be heard or felt on those systems.
Apart from that I guess knowing how certain instruments should sound is the best way to get unreliable, personal preference out of the way.

Selamat jalan ya!
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can it happen in audio?
Of course. As with your earlier analogy, for younger people who have only heard downloaded MP3 music through ear buds or cheap headphones, a mid-range stereo system through decent speakers is "awesome." To these people the difference between a mid-range stereo and an audiophile grade system is often imperceptible, unless there is a big difference in the bass impact.

To someone who like myself who has been building their own stuff for over 50 years, an MP3 player is a "noise source." To me the difference between a $20 MP3 player and a pricey iPod (or high end smartphone) is nearly imperceptible.

A lot of this does depend on the choice of music played through these systems. Most of what I put on my grandkid's MP3 players has a dynamic range of about 15 dB and sounds worse on a good stereo.....but pushes the subwoofer around on the floor.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:13 PM   #4
mchambin is online now mchambin  France
diyAudio Member

Most people will say, the sound system that is better is the one that plays louder.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:58 PM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I think if one is interested in making real progress then one looks for similarities in how we perceive rather than differences and tries to measure them, like Floyd Toole for example.
Old 3rd July 2020, 03:09 AM   #6
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mterbekke View Post
Almost everything is based on perception, measurements as well.
If 2 measurements are the same, there's no problem. When they are slightly different and you'd have to choose which one's better, you need to interpret the values and make a decision.

Selamat jalan ya!
In audio, too many measurement to describe the quality. Designer can have different point of view which one most important and which one less important.

What is your point of view about this?
Old 3rd July 2020, 03:37 AM   #7
sser2 is offline sser2  United States
diyAudio Member

When performance of audio system or it's components is measured, there lis ittle solid evidence for this metric or that, like harmonic distortion or frequency response, reflects the perceived sound quality.
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:40 AM   #8
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

The other thing is that your perception changes all the time, with time of day, your mood, external circumstances, your friends around, etc. Even when the system is exactly the same every time, your perception still differs.

Jan
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Interesting discussion. When I was 17 I lived in big (1 million people) city. I got drafted into the military and ended up in the desert for one year on the opposite side of the country.

I remember coming back home after a year and thinking how small the city (Durban) looked. The reason of course was that my perception of space had been completely altered by being in a flat, open and completely empty place for 12 months. Same thing with colours -the greens were 'hyper' green and literally popped for the first day or two until I got used to them again.

I think the same thing happens in audio. Your perception of what is/sounds good changes. That's why people say 'after it had burnt in for a week it sounded wonderful'. Of course it did. Your brain almost certainly 'tuned' the sound to what it expected to hear.

A good test of this idea is headphones. I have a pair of ATH 900 'Air' that cost me about $350 in 2010 when I lived in Japan. About a year ago I went into the local city here in the UK with $1000 burning a hole in my pocket to buy a new pair of headphones. Luckily I took my old phones with me. I bought nothing. They all sounded boxy, or too bassy or too hissy.

Some of these phones had very good reviews. What was wrong? I hadn't given my brain time to tune to the new sound - the headphones were all ok. I'll only buy new ones when these ones finally konk out. I decided no need to put my ears through a recalibration at this stage of life
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:46 AM   #10
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Good point. If you have ever had your ears syringed, for a few hours afterwards everything sounds very different until the brain's adaptive filters and agc catch up....

Measurement and PerceptionHide this!Advertise here!