Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Great excitement today at Royal Ascot with the GeeGees. Long old race, this one. 2m3f.

4:15 Ascot | Standard Racecard | 17 June 2021 | Racing Post

The Gold Cup. Frankie Dettori on Stradivarius @4/5. Subjectivist a decent horse @ 11/2.

No money on this, but Nayef Road must be a good eachway at 50/1. Has come second or third to the Strad three times over 2 miles.

EDIT: Result In. Subjectivist romped it! Stradivarius got blocked in to 4th. Nayef Road faded into 7th. :cool:

Last edited:
Royal Ascot, Day 4. Friday. Lotta rain so don't know what the going will be, except veering to soft. We are interested in the Group One races here. I don't watch rubbish.

3-y-o 15.40 Colts race, The 6f Commonwealth Cup:

UK & Ireland Results - Horse Racing - BBC Sport

Usual suspects running. My yardstick is Supremacy who has faced a lot of them already.

Supremacy (IRE) | Horse Profile | Sky Sports Horse Racing

As good as anything else IMO. 13/2 works for me.

Next the 16.20 3-y-o 1m fillies race. The Coronation Stakes.

UK & Ireland Results - Horse Racing - BBC Sport

For this I am watching Pretty Gorgeous, IF it runs on the soft, which is questionable:

Pretty Gorgeous (FR) | Horse Profile | Sky Sports Horse Racing

Again beaten a lot of the contenders. 9/2 is OK. And Frankie Dettori riding, which is good at Ascot.

Might cough up two fivers. Time will tell. :D

Last edited:
I watched that one. Ashe against Connors. Good final. :D

Nightmare day at the Races. Supremacy got pulled.

Not even too sure about Pretty Gorgeous in the UK & Ireland Results - Horse Racing - BBC Sport.

But the decision has been taken out of my hands.

Attachments

• Pretty Gorgeous Horse.jpg
    Pretty Gorgeous Horse.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 88
Disgraceful performance by Nikhil Kamath. :rolleyes:

Obviously cheated against Vishy Arnand. Used a Chess computer. :mad:

I know how to beat Computers. Muddle the game up into positional complexity. But Vishy didn't know that, because he thought he was playing a Human.

Avoid swapping pieces. Keep it complicated and all the pieces on the board. Computers are sharp tactically, but get confused strategically. :cool:

Anyway, staggering News from UEFA, the local ruling body of Football. From next season, away goals are abandoned as a decider in (boring) tight two-legged Football games. TBH, I prefer one-legged games. More exciting.

Away goals rule scrapped in Uefa competitions including Champions League - BBC Sport

From now on, it's regular goals in extra-time if it is drawn. Or the complete lottery of penalties if it comes to that. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

I know how to beat Computers. Muddle the game up into positional complexity. But Vishy didn't know that, because he thought he was playing a Human.
Avoid swapping pieces. Keep it complicated and all the pieces on the board. Computers are sharp tactically, but get confused strategically. :cool:

Steve, you're sure ? So what happened to Kasparov vs. Deep Blue? Garry did not know what you say?

Deep Blue vs Kasparov: How a computer beat best chess player in the world - BBC News - YouTube

Last edited:
I wasn't playing "Deep Blue"! :)

Just your usual chess program that even Ubuntu linux includes. Difficulty set low.

But you can't make mistakes/blunders against computers. They will kill you! :D

Grandmaster Maurice Ashley takes on the local Chess Hustler here. He attempts to steal one of Maurice's pieces when he thinks Maurice isn't looking. Of course, Maurice doesn't even have to look at the board. He's got it in his head... can play blindfold.

Grandmaster Maurice Ashley plays NYC trash talker - The Tim Ferriss Experiment - YouTube

Marvellous. We used to pull stunts like calling Pawns "Prawns" and Knights "Horsies". Lure your opponent into thinking he is playing an amateur, and hence carelessly. Notice Maurice appears doubtful about the "En Passant" rule with pawns.

Apropos nothing, my neighbour Dickie is going to the Italy vs. Austria game tonight at Wembley. I have put £10 on Italy to win the tournament for him and his wife. Says he is in the Royal Box! His brother is something important in the FA.

" I wasn't playing "Deep Blue"!

Just your usual chess program that even Ubuntu linux includes. Difficulty set low.

But you can't make mistakes/blunders against computers. They will kill you! "

My chess level is too low these days, I only play for entertainment, and on the internet in these times of pandemic.
I still have many game cuts explained by GM Miguel Najdorf here in Argentina, I saw him play simultaneously one day and a guy said: "there he played badly", very superb, so I thought I'd give him a lesson and asked him if he wanted to play against the Chess Challenger, (one of the first portable machines, it was before there were PC programs with fast processors).
The guy told me yes, I took it to the club and destroyed it at level 3 responding "to the touch", he didn't want to play any more (he had 7 levels) because the response of the machine was too slow the more you raised the level.
But things have changed, Deep Blue has now been overtaken by laptops with multi-core microprocessors, in addition, there was a whole team behind DB, who reprogrammed it after the first meeting. That was cheating, said GK!
Playing online I constantly meet players who also cheat, (they use a parallel computer, and enter the play of the same to counteract what you propose) So, my trick is to challenge a maximum of 3 minutes, introduce unusual openings, outside of books, to buy time, and I usually beat them by time ...
It's the evil of the time, even GM Larsen has pulled out of one of those online shows.

I was surprised on two occasions to receive this message from the Administrators:

"We have detected that your opponent has cheated and you have won the points"

The part of your video where the charlatan wants to steal GM Ashley's piece is a lot of fun!
(But he ended up winning the game, the guy knows, he reminded me of my anecdote) Too bad I can't fully understand what they are talking about, but the situation is perceived, and the charlatan's surprise when he asks his "defeated" who he is , it has no waste. Thanks !

Retro Ordenadores Orty: Fidelity Chess Challenger 10 (CCX-10A) (1978)

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Chess.com and Lichess are using Stockfish on their computers .It's impossible to beat them.Not a single person in the world can beyond level 7.I tried once and beat it at level 5. I am a bit better now , but i can hardly think i could win past level 6 in my best day and on lichess i could go up to level 1700 fighting humans.I don't play under an account now, just anonymous and can barely beat 3 guys out of 5 in a good day, usually 2 out of 5 is my best performance in anonymous mode. Last draw between a man and a computer was in 1993.