Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Best fast bowling action in cricket? I'll give myself five votes:

Michael Holding (West Indies)
Dennis Lillee (Australia)
John Snow (England)
Malcolm Marshall (West Indies)
Ray Lindwall (Australia)

Holding is perhaps the best, just because it's sheer elegance and athleticism, combined with awesome speed. Same with Snow, although his run-up wasn't as elegant as Holding. I've seen all of them live except Lindwall.

Geoff

I am a poor judge of bowling actions, TBH, at my best I was a medium pacer.. but, I always liked watching Dennis Lillee bowl for Australia.

Even after old age and injury limited his capacity, he adapted to slower line and length and control to bamboozle opponents. He was also an innovator in wearing a distinctive white bandana.

Eat your heart out, @GeoffMillar, Stuart Broad pretty much won the last Test for England against Australia to make it 2-2, though Woakes put in an amazing effort too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66362287

Stuart Broad.jpg

Much Sporting Brilliancy in this Series. I was TOTALLY IMPRESSED by David Warner's extraordinary 4 off the highly illegal beamer ball (a full toss straight at your head) from Jimmy Anderson:

David Warner hits a Beamer from Anderson.jpg

How he got bat on it is beyond my ability. And came up laughing. He certainly can sign my piece of sandpaper (Cricketing Joke)!

We shall miss Stuart Broad, also sporting a white bandana. The last ball he hit went for 6. He took the last two wickets to level the Series. And invented the outrageously effective stunt of swapping the left and right bails before taking his last two wickets.

The man was a Magician! :D

Jim Maxwell of (Australian) ABC had us in stitches with his remarks about the Peculiarly British Institution of the Shipping Forecast:

Shipping Forecast.jpg

Just when the Cricket gets exciting, Radio 4 Longwave listeners (Fishermen out at Sea) get the Shipping Forecast, Alas, this is today discontinued. Jim mentioned it wasn't tearing him up too much, but nevertheless a milestone in Test Match Special History.

A terrific Test Series. Everyone can be proud.

Last edited:
I am always thinking of the future as an England fan.

TBH, I think aged heroic Jiimmy Anderson is finished at this bowling level. But plenty of young quicks coming through! I think Foakes is better than Bairstow at Stumpies and batting. I am sure we can find a good spinner too, after the most excellent and brave Moeen Ali.

I am happy with Crawley and Duckett as openers.

We do have an outrageous young batting talent however:

James Rew! A Somerset player. My County. This young man fears nothing! He can also keep wicket.

Last edited:
I didn't fancy my usual favourite people's racehorse on Saturday at Ascot in the 15.40. The Pyledriver in the pink cap and green shirt..

NO! It was up against Blue and white old adversary Hukum and a class field. Therefore duck this one!

How wise I was, Maybe the Pyledriver should seek a second class Race at York Ebor Festival, I don't know, :)

A Sporting Poem, by system7:

At the end of the Sporting day:
When all is said and done,
All the Losers lost.
All the Winners won.

Alessia Russo.jpg

FWIW, I think Sam Kerr's Aussie goal was sensational. Maybe next time, eh?

TBH, I prefer the Women's game. Less diving for penalties, less shirt-tugging, less elbows at corners, less fillthy tackles. Can't wait for the Final on Sunday against Spain.

It may or may not be "Coming Home." Or "Sweet Caroline!" :LOL:

But it's just a bit more Honest, IMO. Whatever happens, I can live with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
England played really well and deserved to win: 3-1 is a convincing margin!

The Final will be interesting, both teams will have had a decent rest and should be in top form. Rather like the recent netball series, the World Cup perhaps - and of necessity - has too many matches in too short a short time and by the time teams have made t through to the finals, they're rather weary.

Geoff

Mr. Cal, I am interested in your idea...

But remember that diyAudio is governed by the State Laws of Victoria, Australia!

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/help/terms/

Aussie Law.png

And my distant uncle, Bill Ponsford, was a revered member of the Australian and Victoria Cricket side:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ponsford

I even have a book about him:

DSCN0981.JPG

Of course, his most memorable moments were with Donald Bradman and the embarrassing (for us English) Bodyline Series.

I really must visit the MCG.

Well, you can imagine, I am excited about tomorrow's Soccer Fixture!

Spain versus England.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66541041

Watching this one will doubtless age me about 10 years!

I don't know why I put myself through this. Already I am dreaming of 1966 all over again. Three Lions on a Shirt. Which is probably a mistake.

Always concentrate on the next game.

Nervous? A bit. But it's all just a game. :)