Brilliancy in Sport, Your favourite moments

Surely what makes something a sport, is that you need a VERY calm nerve under pressure! :D

This Vin Scully commentated Dodgers/Oakland game that leadbelly mentioned....

YouTube

That was prior to the Moneyball era at Oakland which was such a good read, wasn't it?

Moneyball - Wikipedia

An amazing sporting story about how seeming losers can win. :cool:

Well, the Wikipedia page DOES mention the critics of the book. I think the critics actually eviscerated the book and movie, i.e. invalidated the thesis.

Which begs the greatest performance of Brady's comeback against the Falcons. Assuming of course all major sports are not decaying to the level of "professional" wrestling i.e. fake.

IMO, the thing a good professional knows is that you don't win every game. But if you play to your max, you win more than most. :)

I tipped the Falcons to win that one. My nephew was most impressed with my predictive ability going into the 4th. Quarter. 28-9, IIRC.

How do we explain it? 4th. Quarter is Brady Time, that moment when he becomes "Quiet Eyed" and relaxed and focussed. IMO, what the Pats do well is protect the QB. TBH, I think the Ravens and Cowboys and Saints have always believed in offensive guards too.

My team, Minnesota, just let the QB play, flattened, on his back. Painful to watch. :eek:

Last edited:
I have read the odd Hemingway book myself. :)

But hardly anything to do with Sport.

Sport is Mano versus Mano, IMO. And my second team "Derby" are just on Fire right now:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51883999

A much healthier pastime than War.

We really ought to tell the World's nastiest people that we are bored with their ideas of Fighting each other.

Should I name them? We know who they are. :cool:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Olympic springboard diving carries significant risk of injury, you might remember this one from the 1988 summer games in Seoul. However diving is not Mano versus Mano; it's man against himself. Also consuder pole valuting, another Olympic event which carries significant risk of injury. But it's not Mano versus Mano either. It's man against himself.

Are either of them "Sport"? I think they are.

_

Attachments

• greg.png
    greg.png
    389 KB · Views: 276
Dictionary says physical exertion or physical skill is involved for it to be "sport".

I'd say no to chess.

People do often denigrate sports they are not familiar with. I remember that before Canada started medaling in biatholon there were a lot of "what crap is that?" comments.

I really ought to go to bed right now. But as a semi-professional County Chess player, I must tell you my hand often shook when playing a move.

Thing is. The Stakes are high. Win or Lose. That's it really. Sport is about Practise, Study, learning from mistakes. And adapting to a losing situation.

Anyway, me Maties. It''s the Epsom Derby on July 4th. A day that Google has chosen to light up with Fireworks: July 4th - Google Search

My money is on Pyledriver at 16-1. Time will tell. :)

I just remembered something alarming about that disastrous Greg Louganis dive:

857223d1593646319-brilliancy-sport-favourite-moments-greg-png

Wasn't he HIV positive at the time? Meaning the pool should have been cleared after he shed Blood?

Still, nobody got hurt. :D

Us kids used to make up our own games. "Bumball" was a harmless goodie. "Slaps" and "Knuckles" a more painful outlet for aggression. And the notorious "Splits" involving penkniives, in which we avoided injury like a knife in the foot by being extra careful.

Psychopaths and bullies were generally reviled. Spoilt the fun somehow. :eek:

Whilst not quite as extreme as Hemingway I consider anything where there isn't a significant risk of injury to be a game.

I did read The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. About fishing and watching the Bulls run in Pamplona. Along with his notorious womanising and drinking. Much easier than "A Farewell to Arms" which is just plain sad.

I think Hemingway went fishing for Marlin in the End. He sure wasn't that hard-boiled inwardly.

Yes, he was and no it doesn't.

HIV is extremely unstable outside the body and in chlorinated water it would have broken down in seconds.

Even Greg didn't know that at the time. But was nobly more concerned for his fellow Sportsmen. Apropos the current horror of Covid-19, My local pool is still shut. Despite assurances the germ dies in seconds in chlorinated water. This is because some people can't even observe social nicities like showering before getting in. :mad:

Anyhow. It's the Sport of Kings (And Queen's) today. Teh Derby. :D

I've covered all the bases. I am on the Queen's trainer in the first race. The ones I mentioned in the big one. And Frankie in da Fillies race. Can't wait! :D