Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Can glue kill a smartphone display?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2020, 11:42 PM   #1
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default Can glue kill a smartphone display?

Just a few hours ago, I was a happy person, changed my smartphone display with a new one for the first time.

A few minutes later, while the phone was still working great, I saw a gap where there wasn't enough glue, in the bottom side of the phone and I injected more of it, then I let it aside to let dry the glue dry. I clamped the display using two laundry pegs. Rechecked the phone, it was alright.

An hour later I found it sadly that the display was blank and it had stopped working. No backlight, only the touchscreen remained working, as it obeyed blind finger commands.

My only suspicion is the glue, which is polyurethane based. I put lots of it and it contains some kind of smelly volatile solvent, smells a lot like contact cement (xylene and/or toluene). What reason could there be? The glue cannot attack metals, but what about plastics?

I have no idea.
Old 15th May 2020, 01:17 AM   #2
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Polyurethane glue expands as it cures. I must have expanded and pulled contacts apart, or crept in between contacts.

Last edited by leadbelly; 15th May 2020 at 01:20 AM.
  Reply to this post

Can glue kill a smartphone display?Hide this!Advertise here!