different audio forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Auxiliary Bass Radiator.
It could be an enclosure containing a Goodmans ARU (Acoustic Resistance Unit).

These were often situated on the rear of the enclosure, but would not flap around at resonance!

Attachments

• Axiom 80s & ARU.jpg
    Axiom 80s & ARU.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 503
From EJ Jordan Designs Ted Jordan - E J Jordan Designs I read that Ted Jordan joined Goodmans Industries in 1952. His first project was to design the Goodmans Axiette, a 200 mm driver which was the first of the single cone, truly full-range drivers. He subsequently redesigned the entire range of Goodmans drive units.

I can't find hard evidence that Ted definitely designed the Axiom 80. Depends on whether or not the Axiom 80 was conceived prior to Ted's arrival. The attached poster is said to be from 1955.

The Goodmans 1963-64 catalogue is an interesting read! Goodmans speaker catalogue, 1963-1964

Attachments

• Axiom 80 1955.jpg
    Axiom 80 1955.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
I haven't tried the centre channel circuit. Like ABD, I also played with the Hafler system which sent a sum signal to a rear speaker or speakers to simulate a surround sound effect. Fun, but ultimately unsatisfying. It was the poor man's Quadraphonics and commercial Hafler adaptors were produced to cash in on the Quadraphonics vibe. Details here: http://www.audiosignal.co.uk/Resources/A_year_of_surround_sound_A4.pdf

This was originally promoted by a local as a way to use very directional speakers yet have a wider sweet spot and stable center image. I'm interested in it for that reason above all others. Unfortunately neither he nor any other local listeners still use it, so I can't audition it. jj

That's a more sophisticated adaptation of the circuit in post #49. People have talked about Klipsch Wide Stage Stereo ( More About Wide-Stage Stereo, March 1960 Electronics World -
RF Cafe
) but not this Hafler set-up. I don't have 3 equal speakers, and it would be expensive to get 3 equal speakers (even cheap ones), but it looks like that is what I'll have to do. I just would have liked some user testimony before I took the plunge.
I guess there aren't as many old-timers here as what I had hoped for. :( jj

Joined 2010
Paid Member
jimmyjoe,

I noticed that you had a question about using heatpipes like they use in cpu towers. Check out the amplifier threads like the Aksa Lender P-Mos Hybrid Alpha 20 or the Alpha Big Boy or the Alpha Nirvana. They all use heatpipe sinks to handle the high dissipation of the Mosfets. These threads were started by xrk971, so search the threads started by xrk971 and enjoy the ride.

MM

" ....I've done the derived channel thing. Sometimes it was interesting, sometimes not. It is free. (No, the 3rd/4th speakers do not HAVE to be "matched".) ...."

Now that's and interesting observation.
Some years ago, I met a rather interesting person who was trying to adjust the Klipsch system. He did not want to use any resistive controls, and instead was trying to find ways to reduce the apparent effect of the middle speaker. He experimented, among other things, with aiming the middle speaker either at the ceiling or at the wall. I believed then (as I do now) that his failure was due mainly to the middle speaker being too close to the listening position. I figured that if he would have moved the K-horns up along the side walls, he might have found what he was seeking. He refused due to a dogmatic belief that the K-horns had to be in corners.
His middle speaker was a Cornwall. Perhaps if he would have used a totally different brand of speaker, one with a much lower sensitivity, he could have gotten it.
And as for my thesaurus .... it's in my head. Poor place, I know. :) jj

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.