Tying subjective listening with objective measures/ sound perception/ and DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nobody seems interested in moving out of the of the other one,
but I’m sure as soon as I say something stupid they’ll flock like flies!

So Richard as someone experienced in dsp do you think it would be beneficial to make a all in one say 6 channel dac/xo in a preamp style unit? Digital inputs
Stand alone app based/real time dsp controls with separate gain each channel/and a master volume control (all digital) to 3 pairs of decent chips (like the new 4499) or is that 8 channel already?
choice of balanced or rca out.
Full user controlled dsp for each channel/in app,real time .....including lp/hp, slope, delay, phase control, EQ each pair of channels could have a applicable range if that would make engineering easier. Something like Dirac could be implemented but must override able (to tweak afterwards) and bypass able (to be able to compare on/off)
Throw a streamer in/Roon endpoint.

Last edited:
My system is based around a miniDSP 4x10HD, which covers your want list pretty well:

8 channels (4 per side)

AES-EBU, Toslink and coaxial SPDIF inputs + analog input

Single ended and balanced output. I'm using all balanced outputs which are via Phoenix connectors, workable but not terribly convenient.

Master volume control with infrared remote control

Real-time DSP control of level, slopes, xover points, parametric EQ, delay for each channel, plus global parametric EQ for each input channel (separate EQ for digital vs analog input). Each EQ filter can be set up as an externally-calculated biquad, to do things like a Linkwitz transform that the graphic interface can't handle.

What's missing? There is no direct USB input or built in streamer (USB is used for programming only). Programming support is Windows only, no native Mac or Linux software. No FIR filters. No Dirac. None of those things bother me, but for others I'm sure they are showstoppers. As to the quality of the DACs used I defer to someone with greater expertise:
Review: MiniDSP 4x10HD – Neurochrome

As a streamer I use a Raspberry PI with a HiFi Berry Digi+ hat running moOde for streaming FLAC files and internet radio via coaxial SPDIF. Other sources (e.g. Amazon Music, YouTube) stream from my PC via the toslink output of a Topping D10 DAC. The analog input lets me play the odd LP, and is used for TV sound.

I'm sure a better unit could be designed, but I'm not sure I would want to pay what it would cost, and I still have plenty to learn by playing with what I have.

Bill

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Nah he just used a std MiniDSP. Although in his last months he went back and improved his analog crossover and decided that was better after all. The one I linked lacks the streamer, but has 8 digital outputs (so you can pick and mix you DACs if you want) but has the fancy FIR processing. BUT you are starting to get to a point where maybe a PC running it all starts to make sense depending on the use case.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Many trade offs to consider. My heresy is I have one of these on the shopping list. Idea being I can link this to various DSP functions and mess around with things on the fly. Just add time...which I am short of :)

Attachments

• midimix.jpg
    midimix.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 137
Nobody seems interested in moving out of the of the other one,
but I’m sure as soon as I say something stupid they’ll flock like flies!

So Richard as someone experienced in dsp do you think it would be beneficial to make a all in one say 6 channel dac/xo in a preamp style unit? Digital inputs
Stand alone app based/real time dsp controls with separate gain each channel/and a master volume control (all digital) to 3 pairs of decent chips (like the new 4499) or is that 8 channel already?
choice of balanced or rca out.
Full user controlled dsp for each channel/in app,real time .....including lp/hp, slope, delay, phase control, EQ each pair of channels could have a applicable range if that would make engineering easier. Something like Dirac could be implemented but must override able (to tweak afterwards) and bypass able (to be able to compare on/off)
Throw a streamer in/Roon endpoint.
Hi Bob,

Your spec reminds me of DEQX. Do you have them on your Radar? May be worthwhile :cool:

Greetings,
Winfried

Goal is to assemble the best version (that I can) of a 2.2 (two ways+two subs) tri amped, full dsp/xo and real time user control.....I kinda like the idea of FIR in that ddrc8, seems to give the most versatility for the money.

Winfried,I’ve looked at the deqx and is indeed on the radar but I think it’s at the upper, upper end of my budget.

Bill, That’s cool ....midi was all the rage awhile back.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have not tried them yet but I have a pair of Behringer Super-X PRO to try.

I too am looking for a high enough performing X-over. I dont want to have to design and build one myself.

So, it needs to be off-the-shelf.

-Richard

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.